R154 5 speed hp limit...?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Janz99;1134343 said:
They dont have to entirley re-spool the turbo, most of those guys run some sort of flat shifting in thier EMS which would keep the turbo mostly spooled during shifts. Probably not 30 psi, but 10-15 during shifts for sure.

Ryan

umm nope...

Titan runs a MoTeC system in there car. They have a FLAT shift enabled but that is not ALS and as such will not keep the turbo SPOOLED any more than venting it to the atmosphere will.

The ONLY way to keep that turbo spinning is by using the "ALS" system the new WRC cars are using. No BOV and instead redirect the pressurized air into the exhaust manifold to keep the turbo spooling with a bit of fuel to light up at around 40 degree ATDC.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You can shift fast enough for the BOV not to open...

They're pretty hard on their cars, not like the other lazy high powered guys that show up in Houston that roll out, floor it, let off, shift, floor it, wash, rinse, repeat...

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
figgie;1134380 said:
umm nope...

Titan runs a MoTeC system in there car. They have a FLAT shift enabled but that is not ALS and as such will not keep the turbo SPOOLED any more than venting it to the atmosphere will.

The ONLY way to keep that turbo spinning is by using the "ALS" system the new WRC cars are using. No BOV and instead redirect the pressurized air into the exhaust manifold to keep the turbo spooling with a bit of fuel to light up at around 40 degree ATDC.

Maybe im calling it the wrong term. Ive never used AEM or Motecs system, only haltech and megasquirt for the most part. Each have a function that i personaly call flat shifting. Similar to the anti-lag feature but its activated by the clutch switch itself. Allows you to hold the gas to the floor, push the clutch pedal in, the unit then uses a series of retarding timing and adding fuel to keep the car under a specified RPM. Thus keeping the turbo spooled for the most part.

We were running 15psi on a smaller t4 turbo, and between shifts it would only come down to 10 psi, so we would only have to make up the differance.

I know AEM has the same feature (though im not sure what they call it) but i was under the impression that most of the 6-speed guys were running a similar feature.

Ryan