R154 5 speed hp limit...?

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ive done a fair bit of searching on this board and still havnt really found the answer im looking for. Im wondering how far people have pushed the r154 5 speed tranny, and how its holding up?

I am doing a 2jz build right now for our street/strip car, and the original plan was to use a built GM auto to hold the 1000hp goal we had set. After re-thinking the project, id still like to shoot for the same goal, but id like to try and keep it a manual tranny. Just to clarify, i know the mk4 6 speed will hold this power goal, but its alittle out of the budget right now, hence why i am thinking of using the r154 and possibly a tilton tripple disk clutch.

So how far have people been pushing these trannies? Duane, Ron? Will the tranny hold up to the constant abuse of 800-1000hp?

Any input/comments/concerns are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Ryan

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
hp is never the problem.

Torque is.

If you are building a 1000hp motor, things like 'budget' shouldn't be a consideration, imho.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am not really on a budget, id just rather not spend over $7000 on a transmission and clutch setup right now if it can be done on another transmission for almost half the cost.

Ryan

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
No, it won't. Will Neely could peel the teeth off the gears in the transmission like an ear of corn, and he was running 600 and change torque. Duane has had problems finding a clutch that will hold long enough for him to kill the tranny... and both he and Ron drive way to calm. Neither of them is 16 anymore! ;)

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So your saying the only other option for 800-1000hp build is to go with either a GM built auto, or an mk4 six speed? The auto is alot cheaper, but the fun factor just isnt there. Id much rather go with the six speed, but $3-4000 for the trans sucks, not to mention a tilton tripple disk clutch for another 3000$.

Ryan

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Janz99;1131923 said:
So your saying the only other option for 800-1000hp build is to go with either a GM built auto, or an mk4 six speed? The auto is alot cheaper, but the fun factor just isnt there. Id much rather go with the six speed, but $3-4000 for the trans sucks, not to mention a tilton tripple disk clutch for another 3000$.

Ryan

Can you tell me where to get a tilton for 3k?

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Janz99;1131923 said:
So your saying the only other option for 800-1000hp build is to go with either a GM built auto, or an mk4 six speed? The auto is alot cheaper, but the fun factor just isnt there. Id much rather go with the six speed, but $3-4000 for the trans sucks, not to mention a tilton tripple disk clutch for another 3000$. Ryan

Why would you want a manual trans in a 1000 hp car?
I'm assuming your intent for this car is the drag strip. If so, I highly recommend you go TH350 or TH400, or better yet get a built power glide.

Also, I very much doubt that even a getrag 6spd will hold 1000 (real) horsepower under drag racing conditions with any real reliability (even if you could find a clutch that would hold up, which I also doubt). I realize a lot of getrag fans will probably curse me for this statement, and if they can, I invite them to prove me wrong.

My two cents worth:

If you wish to go manual you will need something like a Lenco planetary type transmission and we are talking big bucks, not to mention clutch that cost more than a house in the 1960's...probably not huh?

Even if you have the resources to buy a "pro-stock" type manual transmission and clutch set-up, do you have the talent/expertise/experience required to get consistant results (et) out of your investment? You decide.

I've owned and or driven a race car or three, and I would go GM auto of some sort and save yourself alot of grief.

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
^ Agreed

Manual is just not practical for 1000hp MKIII strip car.

Fun factor, should be a short pass and auto would be better for consistency. Do the GM Auto swap probably the th-400 for 1000hp and a custom tq. converter with your choice of stall.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I currently have a GM powerglide sitting in my garage with the adapter plate for the 2jz, its just a matter of rebuilding it and buying a convertor. Since im new to supra's and the power curve they create, im just alittle concerned as to how the powerglide is going to handle on the streets being its only a 2 speed.

I dont plan to ever daily drive the car, but it would be nice to be able to go out on sunday nights and play around. Ive looked into the th400 trans, and its alot heavier, and the drivetrain loss is pretty significant through it in comparision to the PG and th350. So id like to stick with either the PG, or some sort of manual if i can get away with it.

Ryan

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I broke a TKO-500 Tremec with my lowly 550rwhp 7M....
(1154Nm of Torque did it in)

It was a brand new trans and I'd stack it up against the very best 154 you can find any day of the week.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The getrag 6 speed in the MKIV's handle that power easily, even drag racing.

Miss a shift and it WILL grenade just as fast as any other though...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
So let me get this straight

You have a powerglide transmission and you are asking about other transmissions?

Are you f'ing kidding? This should not be a question. This should be a how. Specifically how to get that powerglide on the 7m.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
figgie;1132257 said:
Specifically how to get that powerglide on the 7m.

That's a good point.

I know that powerglides are used all the time on 2jz's, but I don't recall seeing one a a 7mgte, mostly th350 swaps.

I'm sure it could/has been done, but again I don't recall seeing it. Better to find someone who's done it if you can rather than re-invent the wheel (so to speak).

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
suprabad;1132491 said:
That's a good point.

I know that powerglides are used all the time on 2jz's, but I don't recall seeing one a a 7mgte, mostly th350 swaps.

2jz?

Try 3000HP Blown/Turbo V8 in the Outlaw class where Jericho's are not allowed.

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Aparently you didnt read the first post very well :) I dont have a 7m, i have a 2jz that is going in my mk3. Yes i have the powerglide and the adapter plate already. Have you ever driven in a car with a PG on the streets? Its fine when its behind an 800hp v8 pusing 900ft/lbs of torque at such a low RPM, but from the dyno sheets ive seen the 2jz's dont start making torque untill alot higher in the rpm ranges then any v8 would.

Thus, this would make the powerglide/2jz combo pretty lazy on the streets. It probably wouldnt be to bad from a roll on the hi-way, but im thinking it might be alittle lazy in the city.

If the major concensis is that the r154 wont handle a decent abuse then im obviously going to be using the PG anyways, since this car is MAINLY a street/strip car.

Ryan

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
1000hp on the street is useless imho. but if its a strip car and a few blasts down the local highway might be in order, to uh make sure its running good you know?:naughty:

might look at a t56 $3500 new from Chrysler, which would indicate you can find them ALOT cheaper

NADude98

Apr 5, 2006
Terre Haute, IN
www.myspace.com
I would suggest you talk to Jeff at Toyotaworld. There is a shop in Houston they use for R-154 rebuilds and 6sp rebuilds. They did my R154 and I believe that guy knows all there is to know about the R154 and can tell you what its capable of.:icon_evil

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Dig car/ 1/4 mile competitor = GM automatic. Weekend toy/highway roll on king = Getrag V160 (can be drag raced but results will be slower than properly equipped GM slushbox.

The real question is are you going to keep the water in the block or fill it for a reliable 1000 whp 2JZ?

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Janz99;1132601 said:
If the major concensis is that the r154 wont handle a decent abuse then im obviously going to be using the PG anyways, since this car is MAINLY a street/strip car.

Ryan

MAINLY a street/strip car? What else would it be? Either way you go one of those is going to suffer. Decide whats more important to YOU, thats what tranny to use. My girlfriend has a million pairs of shoes and she can still decide on her own which ones to wear...