R154 5 speed hp limit...?

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
kwnate;1132867 said:
MAINLY a street/strip car? What else would it be? Either way you go one of those is going to suffer. Decide whats more important to YOU, thats what tranny to use. My girlfriend has a million pairs of shoes and she can still decide on her own which ones to wear...

I know which tranny is better suited for each application, but that was never the question. Since im new to supra's, i dont have the experience to be able to say, yes or no the r154 will handle this sort of HP. I dont want to have to replace trannies every other weekend, so if the r154 isnt up to the task, then ill be using the powerglide for sure.

As for filling the block, no ill be leaving the water in it. Ive seen plenty of guys run up to 1000whp without filling the block so im going to try my luck. If im really worried about the cylinders walking on me, i might make a block gaurd and try it to see if it helps, similiar to what some of the honda guys do.

Ryan

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
Janz99;1133070 said:
I know which tranny is better suited for each application, but that was never the question. Since im new to supra's, i dont have the experience to be able to say, yes or no the r154 will handle this sort of HP. I dont want to have to replace trannies every other weekend, so if the r154 isnt up to the task, then ill be using the powerglide for sure.

As for filling the block, no ill be leaving the water in it. Ive seen plenty of guys run up to 1000whp without filling the block so im going to try my luck. If im really worried about the cylinders walking on me, i might make a block gaurd and try it to see if it helps, similiar to what some of the honda guys do.

Ryan

Block guard??? jz blocks don't have open decks...

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
chevyeater;1133856 said:
Maybe if you put a block guard on it... :biglaugh:

Snap!! in yoo face! ok, on a serious note, Getrags can handle high horsepower, Whoever says they don't i guess they never seen Ryan woon, Darin from Titan, & the Boost logic 6 speed cars, search is your friend....

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Jostar;1133861 said:
Snap!! in yoo face! ok, on a serious note, Getrags can handle high horsepower, Whoever says they don't i guess they never seen Ryan woon, Darin from Titan, & the Boost logic 6 speed cars, search is your friend....

Everyone here is familiar with those guys. Titan (and particularly Sean)does poke in here every once in a while, Even though this forum is mainly for the MKIII Supra folk.

With that said.Thier 8 second runs on the 6 speed are impressive but they are losing lots of time during gear changing. With an auto in there those cars should be nearly a full second faster.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
figgie;1134009 said:
Everyone here is familiar with those guys. Titan (and particularly Sean)does poke in here every once in a while, Even though this forum is mainly for the MKIII Supra folk.

With that said.Thier 8 second runs on the 6 speed are impressive but they are losing lots of time during gear changing. With an auto in there those cars should be nearly a full second faster.

Not a full second! maybe a few tenths, I see a 8.20-8.30 with auto trans..

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Jostar;1134048 said:
Not a full second! maybe a few tenths, I see a 8.20-8.30 with auto trans..

nope

a full second especially at the power levels they are producing. And if they would quit dicking around and get to the real drag transmissions like the Jericho etc. They probably would gain more.

Last edited:

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
figgie;1134063 said:
nope

a full second especially at the power levels they are producing. And if they would quit dicking around and get to the real drag transmissions like the Jericho etc. They probably would gain more.

There is only 2 supras that i have seen run high 7s, The Titan supra & boost logic v.2.... The boost logic v.2 is stripped out!!! Titan is just a lil more heavy...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Jostar;1134107 said:
There is only 2 supras that i have seen run high 7s, The Titan supra & boost logic v.2.... The boost logic v.2 is stripped out!!! Titan is just a lil more heavy...

And both are running the TH400. I can imaging a three speed jerico in there... 89 lbs and good to about 2000 lb/ft.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
figgie;1134063 said:
nope

I would tend to agree with Figgie on the grounds that they're shifting in such a way as to keep the clutch attached to the car and the contents of the transmission in the transmission. If they ripped through the gears as fast as they could I think then they'd have a V161 slush box, affectionately named for the metallic fragments contained within, resembling a Seven-11 slush machine. It'd be alot more than a few tenths of a second compared to an auto. Also bear in mind that with the manual they probably lose boost when shifting and have to spool up again.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
:
figgie;1134116 said:
And both are running the TH400. I can imaging a three speed jerico in there... 89 lbs and good to about 2000 lb/ft.

I thought Titan ran a Powerglide? :1zhelp:

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
figgie;1134159 said:
..and an interruption of 1300 hp for even a split seconds is alot of power lost due to shifting.

They dont have to entirley re-spool the turbo, most of those guys run some sort of flat shifting in thier EMS which would keep the turbo mostly spooled during shifts. Probably not 30 psi, but 10-15 during shifts for sure.

Ryan