quietest mufflers out there..!??

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
IJ.;1892638 said:
LMAO @ 4" ANYTHING being "quiet".... :nono:

Normally I'd agree, but if you get the right setup (i.e. not a Burns straight-through with hardly any substance to it), it can be surprisingly quiet. The Super Drager (at least on the MkIV) is 3.5" and IMO the "perfect" sound level. I'm pretty sure my Miata with only a 2.25" Magnaflow catback and stock everything else is louder. I imagine the A'Pexi Noir is also reasonably quiet.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
"quiet" is a relative thing, here we have a 90Db limit for road cars, seriously doubt a 4" anything will get even close to being legal, on my project car I run twin 3" with 6 mufflers and 2 cats and it's "legal", in the past on Mk3's I've made my own centre muffler and a twin 2.5" system with another 2 mufflers at the back of the car to keep it under the limit... Even a 3" Single with good mufflers shattered the limit.. :(

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I meant to say that in my last post as well. I'd say that my "quiet" is definitely more conservative than most people's "quiet." I'm not old man status yet, but I certainly appreciate a more respectable, reasonable noise level that wont piss off people trying to sleep as you drive by. Part of it is not being obnoxious with the throttle as well.

By the way, is your car turbo'd? Literally no muffler out there works better than a turbo.

Poodles;1892658 said:
Super Dragger has a serious restriction inside the muffler, it's not the same size as the piping or tip...

EDIT: Looked inside the one in the sig...the muffler itself is completely straight through, perforated core style. I doubt theres that much restriction at all.

Last edited:
iruyle;1892165 said:
WOOT! Flame on, Flamer!
I have to give you a pass though since I just saw your post about the accident. I'd be bitter too.

OP: I had an HKS catback on my 91 that was pretty silky. When you put your foot down, it perked up a little but it never got obnoxious. Not the cheapest thing out there but the beauty is you can always sell it for 300-400 bucks if you ever want to change over to another system. For that matter, you can likely pick up someone else's take-off for that money. A used HKS for 350 is likely still going to make you happier than a new no-name setup. Just my .02
It really wasn't a big deal, it was a laughing matter actually.

The point in my post being that he referred to a Supra as a "V6" - Seriously? If you can't take 10 seconds to pop the hood then spout about going to ebay about buying things...

roundfinger

Supramania Contributor
Aug 23, 2006
Pensacola, Florida, United States
Nick M;1892445 said:
Stock is quietest. Aftermarket is the HKS turbo muffler and resonator.

I agree with Nick here, the HKS turbo muffler setup is just a little more aggressive than stock when you are in it and that is about it. I have had a few of the HKS and two of the raptor setups now. The raptor is another step or too throatier and aggressive than the HKS turbo setup. Mind you I have always run my setups with a Cat and except for one of the Raptor setups with the resonator as well. If I wasnt an aging family man the Raptor would be my choice, but since I'm more about subtlety nowadays I would go HKS Turbo if I were to do it again.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
raptor is just a bit more aggresive than the hks thats for sure but still is fairly quiet. isnt the hks a bit smaller in diameter or are they the same 3 inches?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
xzeror;1892736 said:
raptor is just a bit more aggresive than the hks thats for sure but still is fairly quiet. isnt the hks a bit smaller in diameter or are they the same 3 inches?

HKS's Turbo catback wasn't 3", the Dragger is, but the muffer is not 3" inside.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The HKS turbo exhaust came in 65mm and 75mm piping. The 65 flowed more than enough to support their sport turbo upgrade and 400 bhp. 75mm is 2.95", by the math.

[video=youtube;VwY17A3jfrw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwY17A3jfrw&feature=plcp[/video]

I would like to see one quieter. The 7M whir is much louder under a heavy load, as is the T04E compressor. You can't hear the exhaust at that point (thank God)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
slowmedown;1892748 said:
the oldschool HKS dual tip exhaust is probably the most quiet youll find. but i didnt notice a performance gain from it.

Run number two is with the addition of the 65mm (2.5") turbo exhaust from HKS.

turbo%2087%202.jpg

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have the HKS 3" twin tip turbo exhaust.. no idea how loud yet.. because it lacks the engine to push exhaust through it. Didn't buy it for performance gains.. that is what the 3" turbo back is for. If your not running 3" from the turbo back, that is where your restriction is and you wont see the increased flow. (not in any way important).