PVC IC piping

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
ToySup88 said:
Get on with life people! Who gives a shit what Ideal thinks. If you can't afford hardpipes, the PVC is better than stock. Do it, your car will be faster for $20. What can be more simple and appealing than that concept?

you know whats funny... IMO the largest gain you get from these pvc pipes is due to you going through the snorkel hole and not the fender. especially considering what john had posted with the upper pipe...it still used the stock rubber "couplings" for the corners...still used the bottlenecked 3k pipe...it just goes through the snorkel hole.

as for the bottom pipe...obviously anything is better then the stupid LARGE RESTRICTION bottleneck that is the metal elbow on the lower pipe to the turbo...so material is null and void.

let it be known i NEVER disagreed that pvc pipes will relatively work and are obviously cheap. and john has proven that you can make power on them.

heres some reading for those who actual care to learn more...

http://www.vinidex.com.au/vinidex/l...chnotes/TN-4C.3.1997DesignDynamicStresses.pdf

another...discussing how PVC DOES EXPAND as well... not as much but it DOES

http://www.vinidex.com.au/vinidex/l...asementandgroutingofplasticspressurepipes.pdf

little exerpt for ya: Plastic pipes have a relatively low modulus and expand considerably under internal pressure for PVC-U about 0.5% long term,
and for PVC-O and PVC-M around 0.8%. For PE strains up to 2% are possible.

now obviously i know theres a big difference in the usage of the pvc in that material compared to the IC pipes usage. buts its still pertinent information. PVC DOES FAIL. maybe not all the time...but sometimes it DOES. it could very easily melt or even crack....along with cracking to the point of pieces coming off and guess where they could go...

now obviously this isnt an everday occurrance...HOWEVER it DOES and COULD happen.

as for the cheap thing....everyone complains about how we dont get respect from the mk4 guys...or that they stereotype of us for eing cheap and we cant afford mk4s blah blah....all i was saying was that this is the type of stuff that causes that..... and theres NO denying that.

as for agreeing or disagreeing with me.... obviously as long as its being discussed i could care less if EVERYONE disagreed with me...its when people start insulting each other things get out of hand.

also the easiest way to get that stock fender pipe out is to take off the wheel well cover and then unbolt the pipe and you should be able to feed it through.

John Lunsford

Don't Bother Me
Mar 30, 2005
Asheville, NC
www.JBLMk3.com
Idealsupra said:
you know whats funny... IMO the largest gain you get from these pvc pipes is due to you going through the snorkel hole and not the fender. especially considering what john had posted with the upper pipe...it still used the stock rubber "couplings" for the corners...still used the bottlenecked 3k pipe...it just goes through the snorkel hole.

as for the bottom pipe...obviously anything is better then the stupid LARGE RESTRICTION bottleneck that is the metal elbow on the lower pipe to the turbo...so material is null and void.

let it be known i NEVER disagreed that pvc pipes will relatively work and are obviously cheap. and john has proven that you can make power on them.

heres some reading for those who actual care to learn more...

http://www.vinidex.com.au/vinidex/l...chnotes/TN-4C.3.1997DesignDynamicStresses.pdf

another...discussing how PVC DOES EXPAND as well... not as much but it DOES

http://www.vinidex.com.au/vinidex/l...asementandgroutingofplasticspressurepipes.pdf

little exerpt for ya: Plastic pipes have a relatively low modulus and expand considerably under internal pressure for PVC-U about 0.5% long term,
and for PVC-O and PVC-M around 0.8%. For PE strains up to 2% are possible.

now obviously i know theres a big difference in the usage of the pvc in that material compared to the IC pipes usage. buts its still pertinent information. PVC DOES FAIL. maybe not all the time...but sometimes it DOES. it could very easily melt or even crack....along with cracking to the point of pieces coming off and guess where they could go...

now obviously this isnt an everday occurrance...HOWEVER it DOES and COULD happen.

as for the cheap thing....everyone complains about how we dont get respect from the mk4 guys...or that they stereotype of us for eing cheap and we cant afford mk4s blah blah....all i was saying was that this is the type of stuff that causes that..... and theres NO denying that.

as for agreeing or disagreeing with me.... obviously as long as its being discussed i could care less if EVERYONE disagreed with me...its when people start insulting each other things get out of hand.

also the easiest way to get that stock fender pipe out is to take off the wheel well cover and then unbolt the pipe and you should be able to feed it through.

I still think it's the fact the most Mk3's are slow as crap that everyone see's, fancy pipes or not that 3700 lbs. has most to do with that. That's why they don't get respect. How many are in the 11's? Now how many Mk4's are? There's the real reason.
I've always said that if you use the stock intercooler, which is only 2" in and out, you could have 4" intercooler pipes and it won't benefit you because the system is only as good as the smallest section. Straightening the route is the real gain and I would have thought that was obvious. The question is more about whether or not PVC is cheap looking and if it fails. You must have done some research to find that info, but come on, a HALF of a percent? That's long term too! I would say that if car A has PVC pipes and car B has aluminum or other metal, it won't show a difference in performance at any boost level (as long as they both use the same route and intercooler). The ONLY significant difference is in the price and ease of making them.
Do you think those pictures I posted look bad? I actually still have and use the very first set of PVC pipes I made and built my site around and they still work fine. They've been painted about 10 times, but they're still around and still work great and that's been probably 6 or 8 years at least!
It is just a matter of opinion. I could put whatever I want on my cars, it's not the money. I like the aluminum pipes but I don't like the heat transfer and that's really the only reason I don't have aluminum on my cars.

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
John,

I'm thinking you should market a set of PVC pipes on your site (if you do, then sorry, as I have not been there for awhile).
See what the response is and report back. I think you would have a good market if the price was right.

Dan