PVC IC piping

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
PynkEye said:
man i better not hear you bitch about being in Florida :aigo:
I live in Québec Canada, so 6months out of 12, i cant drive the Supra...SNOW :cry: , plus there is salt that ruins our cars with rust....ah, I only wish I was in Florida, your cars must have no rust whatsoever

I can bitch about FL all i want, lol, i lived in MN for the first 18 years of my life..
But thats when i had my AWD DSM. But it was rusty as sin, along with every other car i had owned before i moved. I think i deserve a rust free car, lol

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
mcpcola said:
FL=little to no rust Come one guys let see some pics

B.S.

You should see my aluminized steel HKS 75mm Turbo cat-back. The thing was ruined by Florida's climate. Maybe when I get back into town and have everything set up again I can upload some pictures of the old exhaust.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
John Lunsford said:
Do you think I have a bad name?

hmmm john...no thats an ok name ;)

i know you did it and you did other things that got you power quickly and basically cheap. BUT i dont like it....i dont like the ghettoness of it....works or not...i just dont like it.... i mean would you ever see a mk4 with PLASTIC IC pipes? no....

this is the stuff that gets mk3 owners the stereotypes...whether you like it or not.....its the truth...

so take it for what its worth but i stand by my comments... i dont like it and i think its crap like this that gives us the stereotypes we have to deal with all the time.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You know, I'd agree with Ideal - except that our stock pipes are plastic.

Personally, I used steel conduit piping - but it's essentially the same idea. It might be a little tougher in the long run, I doubt I'll have it for long enough to know though.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
GrimJack said:
You know, I'd agree with Ideal - except that our stock pipes are plastic.

Personally, I used steel conduit piping - but it's essentially the same idea. It might be a little tougher in the long run, I doubt I'll have it for long enough to know though.

our pipes are rubber...theres two plastic pieces to them....

but either way ...stop arguing semantics grim lol...

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
Idealsupra said:

i know you did it and you did other things that got you power quickly and basically cheap. BUT i dont like it....i dont like the ghettoness of it....works or not...i just dont like it.... i mean would you ever see a mk4 with PLASTIC IC pipes? no....

this is the stuff that gets mk3 owners the stereotypes...whether you like it or not.....its the truth...

so take it for what its worth but i stand by my comments... i dont like it and i think its crap like this that gives us the stereotypes we have to deal with all the time.

Ya i get what your saying, want it or not, we are like ''seen as the cheaper version of the Mk4 thats all glamour and $$$/hi hp freaks and the shit''.

want it or not, Mk3s go for anywhere from 500-10 000$...yet mk4s go for 15k to 100+ K. So its just logical the price u pay for your car, well your gonna spend in that price range in parts. If your a student budget that loves Supras or just a guy with not a super $$ job, well your gonna invest what you can to make it better. But i dont see students going around with mk4s and scratching around for money to put pvc pipes...they usually have lots of money (thus lots of money for custom high class shit).

I think the mk3 and mk4 are kinda 2 classes apart...you just watch what the mk5 will do, mk4 will be peanuts beside it...mk5 will now be in the bigger leagues (money wise)..i heard 100 000$ +

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
PynkEye said:
you just watch what the mk5 will do, mk4 will be peanuts beside it...mk5 will now be in the bigger leagues (money wise)..i heard 100 000$ +
I predict that the price of the Mk4 will drop to well under 10K within six months of the Mk5 being available in halfway decent numbers in the USA. This is NOT a car you want to buy as an investment any time soon.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
PynkEye said:
Ya i get what your saying, want it or not, we are like ''seen as the cheaper version of the Mk4 thats all glamour and $$$/hi hp freaks and the shit''.

want it or not, Mk3s go for anywhere from 500-10 000$...yet mk4s go for 15k to 100+ K. So its just logical the price u pay for your car, well your gonna spend in that price range in parts. If your a student budget that loves Supras or just a guy with not a super $$ job, well your gonna invest what you can to make it better. But i dont see students going around with mk4s and scratching around for money to put pvc pipes...they usually have lots of money (thus lots of money for custom high class shit).

I think the mk3 and mk4 are kinda 2 classes apart...you just watch what the mk5 will do, mk4 will be peanuts beside it...mk5 will now be in the bigger leagues (money wise)..i heard 100 000$ +

just because the car is cheaper doesnt mean you have to ghetto mod it

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
You can ghetto-mod the MkIV too, dammit.. what do you think the free fuel cut mod is? Bleeder-T? Swiss-cheesed airbox? Even the TTC [true-twin conversion] is a ghetto mod. I have to tell you that I'd do the TTC conversion in a heartbeat though - the benefits outweigh the cost [add a little lag and take away that 'punch' at 4000rpms in exchange for better transition from mid to and through top end and longer life of your rear turbocharger].
Just because it's cheap or free does NOT make it a bad thing. It's up to you to do the research and find out what's good and what's not. I wouldn't to the fuel cut mod - a $75 BCC is worth it. I wouldn't bleed it, either - I already have a good boost controller. Seriously though.. TTC is definitely worth it.

John Lunsford

Don't Bother Me
Mar 30, 2005
Asheville, NC
www.JBLMk3.com
Idealsupra said:

I think you guys or at least some of you have my reasons confused. I don't use PVC because it's cheap or easy, those are just pluses. That might have been the reason to try it in the first place but in time I have found that the PVC stays cool to the touch under any and all circumstances. No metal intercooler pipes will do that. NONE. PVC don't conduct heat but all metals used do. There has never been a time when I couldn't go right out and touch my intercooler pipes anywhere but I'd like to see you try that with aluminum or steel pipes. Toyota used plastic for a reason.
If I had a Mk4 guess what intercooler pipes would be on it? You see, around here I have mega-respect because my cars have always been on top. My Supra has always been one of the fastest and most reliable cars around. When someone sees my PVC intercooler pipes (and if they recognize what it is because painted they don't look like plastic) they might think it cheap or uncool or whatever, but when all they see is my tail lights when we race they forget all about those plastic intercooler pipes, but they will remember how incredibly fast the Mk3 was.

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
John Lunsford said:
I think you guys or at least some of you have my reasons confused. I don't use PVC because it's cheap or easy, those are just pluses. That might have been the reason to try it in the first place but in time I have found that the PVC stays cool to the touch under any and all circumstances. No metal intercooler pipes will do that. NONE. PVC don't conduct heat but all metals used do. There has never been a time when I couldn't go right out and touch my intercooler pipes anywhere but I'd like to see you try that with aluminum or steel pipes. Toyota used plastic for a reason.
If I had a Mk4 guess what intercooler pipes would be on it? You see, around here I have mega-respect because my cars have always been on top. My Supra has always been one of the fastest and most reliable cars around. When someone sees my PVC intercooler pipes (and if they recognize what it is because painted they don't look like plastic) they might think it cheap or uncool or whatever, but when all they see is my tail lights when we race they forget all about those plastic intercooler pipes, but they will remember how incredibly fast the Mk3 was.

And its responses like this that I would like to see more often. Beautiful.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
John Lunsford said:
Well said.

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
I would have went that route if I had the skill. Function over form.

Thats why, U2 singing now "I still have'nt---------cleaned---------my engine bay.

If shit works it works, if you're looking to have a show car then it is indeed different.

My .02

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
very very very well said. Plastic intercooler pipes work great from what i've heard. You could say that metal is better than pvc, but dammit titanium would be better than steel. And on up along the line. At least it's not made of paper or grocery store plastic bags. Or worse, duct tape. It is what it is, and it works.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
John Lunsford said:

while i see what youre saying.... and thats fine... and believe me i have the utmost respect for you because i know you know your shit...

BUT we are all different....so ill continue to stand by my words...and think this is a ghettomod and i would never do it with my car....but thats just MY opinion and i think im entitled to it.