Pro EFI StandAlone ECU

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
These LQ9's don't have any wires, they have a 2J boot built into the coil and a bracket that holds them in place under the stock galley cover. They are cosmetically identical.

Also, I'd be interested to hear how coils "killed" some guys engine. Coils can kill spark plugs, they can kill a DLI box, but they can't kill a motor. Improper setup's and shitty tuning can kill a motor, like not having the right temp. plug or not gapping correctly or some other combination of this that could lead to detonation, but in absolutely no way is that the coil's fault. That's the builder/tuner that killed the motor.

jotech

Dec 15, 2011
Curacao
Go ta face book james ward scroll down and you will see what he has to say about tad and also his tuner was telling what happened

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
jotech;1932945 said:
Go ta face book james ward scroll down and you will see what he has to say about tad and also his tuner was telling what happened

great results with 1zz coils /thread

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Mr Bojangles;1932889 said:
These LQ9's don't have any wires, they have a 2J boot built into the coil and a bracket that holds them in place under the stock galley cover. They are cosmetically identical.

Also, I'd be interested to hear how coils "killed" some guys engine. Coils can kill spark plugs, they can kill a DLI box, but they can't kill a motor. Improper setup's and shitty tuning can kill a motor, like not having the right temp. plug or not gapping correctly or some other combination of this that could lead to detonation, but in absolutely no way is that the coil's fault. That's the builder/tuner that killed the motor.

Def not. not sure exactly what happened but it was so high that proefi was changing timing trying to correct it and hurt the engine. rebuilt, lowerd dwell same tune, made 1015...so take as you will

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Weird how so many of the mk4 guys are running these with great results and can gap their plugs out to .044 and not have spark blow out at 35+ psi, but I guess if one guy had problems with them because it wasn't set up properly but the tuner of all people say it wasn't his fault it's the coil then everyone should stay away. Why should proven results mean anything haha

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I'm not trying to argue the results. They are good coils....

But the stock 2jz coil setting in a stock ecu is around 2.0 so of course the mk4 guys have great results....the coils are running on 2jz coil dwell(can't change Dwell on stock ecu)

James put the coil dwell(the tuner) to manufactured settings 4.0+ and it gave him a world of issues. Once it was turned down it ran fine.

His tuner is Chris Delgado, one of the best tuners on proefi IMO. They were just following what the lq9 coils or mojo told them to run.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
Albert;1932989 said:
I'm not trying to argue the results. They are good coils....

But the stock 2jz coil setting in a stock ecu is around 2.0 so of course the mk4 guys have great results....the coils are running on 2jz coil dwell(can't change Dwell on stock ecu)

James put the coil dwell(the tuner) to manufactured settings 4.0+ and it gave him a world of issues. Once it was turned down it ran fine.

His tuner is Chris Delgado, one of the best tuners on proefi IMO. They were just following what the lq9 coils or mojo told them to run.

I pulled this off of the Mojo installation instructions website "CHARGE TIME (DWELL) 3.5ms - This may be increased to as high as 5.0 ms if more spark power is required, but it is best to make sure timing is stable with a timing light after each increase. 3.5 ms is safe for all known EMS."

I'm glad that they got thie problems with that car figured out, my point was only that coils cannot ruin an engine, and in this case they didn't, but improper setup sure can. I won't argue that the tuner got improper set up information that ultimately led to this issue, but it's not the coils fault at all.

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Mr Bojangles;1937079 said:
I pulled this off of the Mojo installation instructions website "CHARGE TIME (DWELL) 3.5ms - This may be increased to as high as 5.0 ms if more spark power is required, but it is best to make sure timing is stable with a timing light after each increase. 3.5 ms is safe for all known EMS."

I'm glad that they got thie problems with that car figured out, my point was only that coils cannot ruin an engine, and in this case they didn't, but improper setup sure can. I won't argue that the tuner got improper set up information that ultimately led to this issue, but it's not the coils fault at all.

Coils Can ruin a engine. under a freak accident when following incorrect instructions provided my Mojo who only did a bench test on the coils.

"jamesmkii has just been in touch with me with a horror story of engine damage caused by spark jitter/scatter when dwell is set at 5MS, clearing up when dwell is reduced to 4MS

On another note, Chris informed me that the PROEFI default for these coils sets up a dwell of 4.0 MS. He actually measured dwell with an oscilloscope to learn this and changed the dwell to 5 initially... At 5, he reports seeing the timing jumping around with a timing light, but nothing strange really obvious when scoping the ignition signals. This could be a a problem unique to the PROEFI -I would be curious to know if any other PROEFI/LQ coil users have changed the setting to 5 and experienced anything like this-Or any other timing weirdnesses when running these coils."

Chris was the one who tuned it and this is what he wrote:

The issue is with the coils, not the ECU. They do not like to be run at anything over 4ms dwell at 13.5 volts. As voltage goes up this value decreases even further. These are not like the LS1 coils. They are much more efficient and don't need to be charged as long. In the AEM V2 the LQ9 coil selector gives a value of about 3.8ms at 13 volts or so. There is nothing wrong with the coils or the setup, just beware that all over the internet people are saying run them at 5-5.5 MS, but I am convinced they are being confused with the older LS1 style coils which DO actually require 5-5.5MS for a full charge. Like I said I found they were stable up to 4ms at 13.5 volts. We decided to run then around 3.75 just for good measure. At that dwell setting we were able to light up 34PSI of boost with a .030 plug gap on e85 with no issues. Unfortunatly the damage to the motor was already done. But just wanted to warn the community. Nore more than 3.75-4.0MS dwell on these coils. That being said this coil setup is a great addition to any high power 2J setup, just be sure to setup the dwell correctly.

The problem is your looking at spark intensity not WHEN it occurs. The spark may very well get stronger with more dwell, but if the ignitor is firing prematurly then the extra spark energy is pointless because its happening at the wrong time. U need to look at spark time in relation to your falling edge. At higher dwells i believe the coil/ignitor is saturating and the feild is collapsing early. I will do more testing on this shortly.

Here is a link on the MS thread on a similar issue:
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=48931

Thats exactly what we ran into.. Ended up damaging the motor. Ate 4 spark plugs and popped the head gasket at only 12PSI of boost.. Spent the next day trying to figure out exactly what happened. NO MORE than 3.8ms@ 13.5 Volts if you want to stay in the for sure safety zone.

After they changed it and rebuilt the motor James:

I think the real testing needs to be done with whatever vehicle your planning on selling these kits for. The few guys I've spoke with that run these kits are set between 3.5-3.8ms. They have no issues. With my car setup at 3.8ms I'm also not having any further issues with sporadic timing advance. Tempeture did not seem to affect my coils. We tested them hot right after a dyno pull and a brand new cold set. Both with same results.

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
I agree with everything that's written in your post. The setup was done incorrectly with too high a dwell setting which led to damage, when set properly the coils performed excellent.

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Mr Bojangles;1937100 said:
I agree with everything that's written in your post. The setup was done incorrectly with too high a dwell setting which led to damage, when set properly the coils performed excellent.

Agreed

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Thread revival!
I am also wondering about the ability of a 128 to control an A340E as well, I'm not able to drive stick, so I need the auto. And I am getting tired of messing with the stock 1J ECU

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Sound performance uses it to control the the autos in the MK4s. Give Larry a call and Im sure he can give you the info you are seeking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Are both you and Albert running the 128 now? I'm just about sold on the system, just looking to clarify a couple of things before I finally take the plunge

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
I just upgraded to the 128 system. Lookin forward to the added features. You wont be dissappointed.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
If 2j theres is a jumper harness. If not there is a plug and pin kit that you would cut off oem ecu plugs and pin in proefi ecu plugs