Poor motor oil selection and excessive temperatures in rebuilt 7m

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
hope so man. hope so. Im pretty happy with the manifold yeah. only concern is heat loss from those long ass runners. Thats what all the heat wrap and blankets are for. Yeah i was sitting cross legged while wrapping it with the manifold in my lap and roll of wrap to my side. Managed to get splinters all through my arms and legs and hands. my clothes looked like little spiders had webbed all over them and i was itchy and rashy for days.... WORTH IT!

I retarded the base timing to 8btdc from 10btdc and the car is sooo much nicer and smoother now. Although it wasn't making any obvious pinging noises at 10btdc. Its got less power at 8btdc tho, also it has stopped making all these fumey smells when driving at running temp

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I wouldn't be at all concerned about the runner length.

HATE working anywhere near my headers and exhaust now :(

I've sprayed 9 cans of Silicone paint onto mine to reduce the itchies....

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
good to know. yeah im not looking forward to having to touch that crap ever again. do u have a piccy of ur silicone painted headers? im having trouble wading thru ur archive :p

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
just as i found it lol. Duuude this build is insane. kudos to ur fabrication skills. When i grow up IJ. i want to be you :p
Your green 240 made me sad. tragedy, im sorry about that.

Last edited:

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
quick update. have finally gotten all the parts together to put cooler and thermostat inline with filter and accumulator. Following instructions laid down by IJ supracentral and Jdub. Also the excessive temperatures were possibly being caused by a completely failed catalytic converter. am in process of fixing up exhaust and fitting all these oil system parts. have a shiny new 450x300x75 inter cooler also :D ill post some pics soon i hope

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
yeah ill take some piccies of the items and assembly. dont have the intercooler yet its on its way from just jap. i ended up with the permacool oil thermostat. and i dont know whether or not to be concerned about its never quite open never quite closed type design. Its supposedly to stop it from causing"cold fluid shock" and to bleed the system of air as will as provide relief for restrictive coolers but it looks like it will take forever to get up to running temp as only about 40% of the incoming oil will actually bypass the cooler. Also ill have to research how to wire switch and solenoid valve for the accumulator as im a noob at electrics and the instructions FAIL. i dont wanna use the pressure switch just the on and off switch hooked up to the solenoid like u do IJ

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-1070/ This is what ive got. If its turd ill swap it for another i believe its trying to look like a 90 10 type design but i think it will prolly send a bit much oil to the cooler while its warming. we shall see. Okay ive got the wiring sussed. but im wondering if u can tell me about the solenoid for the accumulator. there are 3 spots for wires. 2 on the solenoid itself and then an earth running off the metal body surrounding the magnet. the 2 on the solenoid read (12v) and (DC) do i run power from the on off switch to the one marked 12v and then from the one marked dc to the one marked earth and then to the negative terminal of the battery or somewhere on the car subframe???

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I've used the PC T-Stat in the past and it's a 90/10 so don't stress.

All depends on how you're controlling the solenoid, if it's a plain switch then just run one terminal of the solenoid to ground and the other to power via a fused ignition controlled 12v source.

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
hey thats good to know. yeah thats how ive got it dummy wired was just about to test it but wanted to double check first. Thanks IJ, man your quick at replies. your "IJ sence" was tingling :p

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
heres some pictures of all my awesome new junk
sm_photo_missing.jpg

exciting
sm_photo_missing.jpg

earls 19row cooler is impressive
sm_photo_missing.jpg

assorted fittings, i got a few more than i need for flexibility of installation
sm_photo_missing.jpg

i put my accusump in the same place as IJ did with his 7m build. its a good spot but hard to get into
sm_photo_missing.jpg

tight

Last edited:

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
hmmm with the solenoid valve and t peice attached to the end of the accumulator its going on 2 ft long. it wont fit where its pictured above. looks like i might be able to get it in under the left front fender. just in front of the wheel arch.

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
okay figured i could fit it in the upper part of the front lip. in between the upper grilles. also have to fit inter-cooler, oil cooler and power steering cooler in that space. It will all go in i just have to make up a heap of awesome brackets and figure out a way to strengthen the bonnet clip. Cant wait

Beefy_Heafy

Toyota Love
Nov 9, 2009
South East Qld
Hmm that would be a good idea. but since im incapable of thinking outside the box ive already gone and made some permanent modifications to fit it in the front bar. got the new intercooler. its looking good but is a fair bit heavier than standard unit. ive got a good idea of what i need to do with brackets etc but i need my mechanic mate to come over with his welder and superior practical ability to help :p

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So this is the new cooler 450mmx300mmx75mm

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Also got some t-bolt clamps for all mt air hoses

sm_photo_missing.jpg

That's a pic of the inside of the core. What do u guys think of the build quality? I checked to make sure its got a plate welded into the end tank with the inlet/outlet separating them to force air around the core.

Its a "Cooling Pro" brand intercooler from Justjap imports in sydney. Cost $210 aud. some good options there if anyone else is stuck for choice

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
LOL sorry I didn't see the thread earlier
(I'm not too bad at out of the box/universe thinking) :)

IC looks ok to me
(they all pretty well come out of two/three factorys in China anyway)