Planning 2014 Standalone Upgrade - Question...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, ended up snagging a one off HKS Fcon VPro made specifically by HKS for a 7MGTE. Only one in the world.. lol. The harness is for a 7M as well although its yellow plug and I think that's for 89+, not sure about that though. Was built for someone in Alaska, but their engine cratered so its mine now. (not fully paid yet)

Planning on going with this, but also planning on swapping out my turbo. The 60-1 is not up to the task of keeping up with the engine as it sits. I am keeping it limited to 12 psi so it doesn't crater, but watching it on the dyno, its spooling for all its worth, but cant add once it gets to the max boost point.. just flutters off. Think its time to seriously consider a different turbo solution...

I have until May next year to figure it all out and get parts, wont be going stand alone until then.

Also, trimmed my fuel pressure to 30 psi because it was running so rich, it was washing the oil at its stock setting. Runs nice right now and boost hammers good when it kicks in (nice steep curve), but if I go with the PSI settings I wanted, I don't think this turbo will last long. (this is with the upgraded intercooler and a HKS BOV setup)

Will have to fly as it sits until next year and dump more $$ into it to get it where I want it to be. Thinking of running an Innovative wideband with the Vpro. Once its tuned and stable, I will consider other upgrades, but gotta finish interior and touch up the exterior first.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Okay... on July 8, the car goes in for a T4 HKS Longrunner Manifold / SP6265 turbo with a 3" downpipe and external 44mm Tial wastegate (vented to atmosphere).

At the same time, the HKS Fcon Vpro 3.3 (with a 7MGTE chip) gets installed..

So, I just want to know, am I going to have any issues once I remove the stock ECU and run straight of the Vpro? (Not a lot of people that I talk to are familiar with this and my mechanic says I will be okay). I will be fixing the AC system afterwards and I believe everything runs off of a separate computer.

As I have stated before, this is a new world for me, and from what I understand my Vpro will be controlling ignition/fuel by monitoring the (Innovative) wideband, airflow (not sure if the AFM stays...), Intake temp and boost flow. It seems very simple until I start explaining it.. then it gets complex because there are a lot of variables.

What is being done:

- resurface manifold flange and ceramic coat it (was used, but is in good shape now)
- installing SP6265 fabricating and installing oil feed and oil return lines
- install custom 3" downpipe and making a new test pipe to mate with the HKS Catback already on the car
- installing a HKS custom made Fcon Vpro 3.3 (specifically for the 7MGTE) and modifying harness to accommodate the 88 dash harness (its made for a 89+) and deleting the stock ECU
- Installing a intake air temp sensor, HKS bar map sensor, Innovate Wideband
- tuning (done by Reg at RCTS) and final dyno.

Am I missing anything? I am hoping this is the last time I touch my engine bay unless its maintenance or repair... I'm upgraded farther than what I originally planned.. lol.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/electronics/computer/f-con/vpro/index.html

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just as an update (if anyone was watching... lol) car should be dynode in 2-7 days (broad range.. but if it doesn't finish on the weekend.. It will skip a week... )

Im anxious...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Will find out soon.. they are just waiting on the manifold to get back from being ceramic coated (was pretty damn rusty and had 2 bolts that had to be removed as they were broken in the holes... and helicoiled).
Hopefully it gets there today, then they will R&R the turbo/manifold/downpipe and wire up the HKS Vpro. Im guessing that I will be running 400'ish at about 14 psi with it. Hopefully. I don't want to run it at 20 psi like the previous owner was.. he was doing 510 I think at 20 psi on pump gas. 500 rwhp on my car would be too scary with the tires I have.. lol.