Planning 2014 Standalone Upgrade - Question...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
SC61 MK3;1915164 said:
How many mkiii's have you seen over 400hp with the stock airbox? How many over 300hp? Shit I don't think I've ever even seen one in person with the stock airbox. Its one of the first things that usually get changed but I guess you know something that every other modded supra owner in the world doesn't know?

I've seen cars with over 1000whp that use a simple intake and cone filter drawing air from the engine compartment. It is absolutely unnecessary to worry about that because once the air is compressed and turned into boost its going to be heated up anyways. As pressure raises so does temperature, there's no way around it that is why turbo cars have an intercooler.

You are here asking simple ass questions and than when people tell you the answer you disagree and all of a sudden you know better than them

Simple ass questions? Lol
Never said it was better. And please accept my apologies for not ever owning a turbo prior to this car... And for having driven for 35 years without tuning...
(my car is over 300 hp and has stock airbox btw... and it isnt the air box holding it back...)
Show me where I disagree so I can correct that?

And also, people like me search for information in an attempt to do it as proper as possible, but there is always an argument. There is the "aussie" guys who dyno tested cars with various forms of filters, air boxes and even removing the filter from the engine bay and found no difference. Was it correct? idk.. but the vid says so. Then there is an argument about the different filters and people who have tested showing different results. So.. for dummies like me, what kind of thinking am I supposed to do? Test them out myself?

please dont go all apeshit on me when I say/ask a stupid question. All the information is helpful, but its not all consistant. In the end, I have the shop that built my car telling me something and people on the forums disputing what they say. The shop's results are all proven, however, I still question it when there is so much varied information. The only downside to modern day internet/google/forums is TOO MUCH information. It has to be sifted so, as everyone so kindly and graciously answers my questions, I use what I have been told to go do more research and gain an understanding myself. Eventually I should get it right (hopefully). Im not here to piss you off.

Last edited:

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
E85 needs 27% (IIRC) more volume than pump gas to achieve stoichiometric. 50% may be for the mass. No E85 in Canada, so sorry for OT if anyone wants to discuss with me I will be pleased to answer PM.

For IC pipe, here is a budget mod: http://www.jblmk3.com/cars/pvc.php. It's tenth the price of a nice to eyes hard pipes kit.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rollus;1915172 said:
E85 needs 27% (IIRC) more volume than pump gas to achieve stoichiometric. 50% may be for the mass. No E85 in Canada, so sorry for OT if anyone wants to discuss with me I will be pleased to answer PM.

For IC pipe, here is a budget mod: http://www.jblmk3.com/cars/pvc.php. It's tenth the price of a nice to eyes hard pipes kit.

lol.. it actually looks pretty cool and you can paint it :)

Actually, the driftmotion 7MGTE intercooler kit was what I was planning on going with in Fall...
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-new7mickit.php

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IJ.;1915156 said:
Do you still have the squashed cast elbow in the IC Piping?
???

Stock AirBox ISN'T as restrictive as you'd think...

That elbow however is a power killer bar none.
(never ran one here but saw it on a buds mint 87 and almost fell over laughing WTF were they thinking)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
which elbow is this? I am running stock everything on intercooler except the 3000 pipe and the pipe attached to that.
lol.. nevermind.. if its that restrictive a search will find it :)

attachment.php

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
IJ.;1915181 said:
???

Stock AirBox ISN'T as restrictive as you'd think...

That elbow however is a power killer bar none.
(never ran one here but saw it on a buds mint 87 and almost fell over laughing WTF were they thinking)

You don't think the air coming into a 3"x2" gap is restrictive?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Grandavi;1915183 said:
which elbow is this? I am running stock everything on intercooler except the 3000 pipe and the pipe attached to that.
lol.. nevermind.. if its that restrictive a search will find it :)
From memory it's down low and bolted to something on the engine?

IndigoMKII;1915184 said:
You don't think the air coming into a 3"x2" gap is restrictive?
What's the area of a stock throttle body?

Inlet of the Turbo?

Accordion hose?
;)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I didnt really want to get into the air filter/snorkle area conversation because its a debatable thing. The shop that works on my car has tested the various filters and different positioning and found that there wasn't enough HP variance to worry about. The MK3 snorkle box is actually setup thoughtfully for what it does. (remember.. Im running a CT26 still.. even though it is a 57 trim...)
Had I gone with bigger than 550's and a larger turbo, there may be an issue, but with my setup, I honestly am not convinced I need to run out and buy a filter and get rid of the stock airbox.
What is funny is that I see far more dirty filters on cone filters then I do on boxed (segregated) units. But I think that is because the advertising says you can "ignore" them for such a long period. I'm too fussy for that.

Intercooler upgrade.. yes. (I must still have that elbow because I know from pipe #1 to the fender is all stock piping)
Airbox or different filter? maybe later, but for now, the paper filter will keep my engine going fine.

Plus.. My intention was to educate myself on the standalone system to decide if I wanted to go that route in fall (need to save money while paying off current upgrades) or if my current mods were fine as is. I have already decided to go with the HKS Fcon if I do go standalone simply because my tuner is very very familiar with it, now I just have to commit to moving forward or just sit happily as the car is.

of course.. step 1 is to replace the faulty turbo. Apparently the worst thing you can do is put a new turbo on a new engine...?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The stock cast elbow is after the rubber hose clamped to the turbo compressor outlet, and before the hose to the IC inlet. It is about 2" in diameter as I recall and you can only see it from under the car. There used to be a metal pipe from Speedsource (speed-source.net) that eliminated it. I have one, but it seems to be discontinued now.

Gyoba replaced his lower piping with
I replaced it with a 2.5" silicone 45 degree bend, one of the standard 45 degree bends from the IC pipe kit, a 2.5" silicone coupler, and a 6" (Give or take) section of 2.5" straight pipe.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
3p141592654;1915194 said:
The stock cast elbow is after the rubber hose clamped to the turbo compressor outlet, and before the hose to the IC inlet. It is about 2" in diameter as I recall and you can only see it from under the car. There used to be a metal pipe from Speedsource (speed-source.net) that eliminated it. I have one, but it seems to be discontinued now.
Thanks Threep :)

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
IJ.;1915185 said:
What's the area of a stock throttle body?

Inlet of the Turbo?

Accordion hose?
;)

I figured the engine would ingest more air than could flow through the passage, especially with a paper filter. I thought the turbo would create quite a draw. Do you really think it could flow roughly 36 lbs/min for the 57 trim to breathe enough?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
3p141592654;1915198 said:
Actually, I think it might even be 1.75" diameter come to think of it.
Yep from memory it's really squashed....

IndigoMKII;1915199 said:
I figured the engine would ingest more air than could flow through the passage, especially with a paper filter. I thought the turbo would create quite a draw. Do you really think it could flow roughly 36 lbs/min for the 57 trim to breathe enough?
With his 57trim I highly doubt you'd outflow the Airbox inlet, the cone filters don't flow nearly as much as everyone thinks and most are exposed to enging bay heat..

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I wonder what the stock airbox does flow then. If it is roughly 3"x2" then the area comes out to be 6" and the inlet to a ct26 is roughly 2.6" so I guess you're right. The stock airbox if my guesses are correct, the area at the airbox is greater than the inlet of the turbo.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
IndigoMKII;1915206 said:
I wonder what the stock airbox does flow then. If it is roughly 3"x2" then the area comes out to be 6" and the inlet to a ct26 is roughly 2.6" so I guess you're right. The stock airbox if my guesses are correct, the area at the airbox is greater than the inlet of the turbo.
Would be interesting to get one on a flow bench and see.

Grandavi;1915211 said:
Replacing that one elbow will give me a better overall system until I get the intercooler upgrade? I could get a mandrel built hard pipe for there
Yes, the system can only flow as much as the point of greatest restriction and that GumbyPipe is it :)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well after much thought, I am going to just upgrade the intercooler and put on a hks SSqv4 bov. No sense letting money stand in the way if doing it right. I think the new DM one that I posted the link to earlier should be good.

The only thing left is to decide on standalone and that wouldn't be until after summer