Orion's Projekt: Alexis

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Because I'm 100% serious this time about getting my Supra back on the road as a daily driver, I decided to just start over with a new thread. I really really wanted to do this earlier, but because of college and all sorts of multiple family medical emergencies on top of not having a job, it was just not in the cards. Old thread with lots of pics: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?67725-Orion-s-plans-for-the-summer. Here are some pics from when I first got it, including some the night of purchase:
p1864561_1.jpg

p1864561_2.jpg

p1864561_3.jpg

p1864561_4.jpg

p1864561_5.jpg

p1864561_6.jpg

p1864561_7.jpg

p1864561_8.jpg

p1864561_9.jpg

p1864561_10.jpg

p1864561_11.jpg

p1864561_12.jpg

p1864561_13.jpg

p1864561_14.jpg

p1864561_15.jpg

Even at 23 I'm still in school, and likely will be for a long time coming. However I did land the perfect job and now work at www.SupraStore.com as a customer service/sales tech. Chances are, if you e-mail or call in, it'll be me you're talking to! I'm not going to plug them too much, as you get the idea and we're not a vendor here (yet), but rest assured when you buy stuff from us, it will be going towards keeping a 7M and a MkIII on the road!

My plans of a pretty full and comprehensive restomod after college have not changed at all. My intention right now is to get it running "as is", which doesnt change the fact that much of the car needs attention. I certainly dont plan on going full standalone, having a much better, nicer turbo that isnt 50 years old in design, and designing my own intake manifold in this stage, but I also cant say what the future holds outside of a running Supra.

The idea is to keep the current intake route (purchased another factory intercooler a while back), which I actually want to try to do anyways as I love love love how the car sounds with all of the parts it has on it right now, and I do think having a different intake tract will change how the BOV sounds for instance. I love my Type S, so sue me :p

The car is still months away from running, but I am collecting parts in the mean time to get it to where it needs to be. For instance, I did get a nice fancy 400 lph turbine fuel pump:
p1864561_16.jpg

p1864561_17.jpg

and I'll be doing a sweet ITB setup
p1864561_18.jpg

p1864561_19.jpg

but that wont be for a while. So this is what will be done over the coming months:

☼: Drain the half tank of gas from 2006 out of the car; clean out the gas tank.
☼: Replace the power steering rack.
☼: Change the 2006 oil, and the filter which hasnt been changed while the car has been in my posession.
☼: Put back together my intake system with factory IC. Buy an intake filter (had an HKS pos)
☼: Put the dash back together. Put the gauge cluster and A/C vents back in, wire up a relay to the switch for the e-fans, fix the mess with those wires and the turbo timer on the floor. I dont plan on doing this yet, as the car doesnt have a heater core. I was told by the previous owner that it was bypassed (because it leaked presumably). I'm basically already halfway to taking out the whole dash, so since this is still a long term (rest of my life) car and even though I live in Florida and it doesnt get cold really, Id still really like to have one as it can be used as a second radiator if the car starts overheating. We'll see.
☼: Belts havent been touched before, prolly a good idea to replace those.
☼: No idea what condition the O-rings or the injectors are in.
☼: I have no tires for the car right now.
☼: Have to put the front bumper back together. Took about half of it off when I thought you needed to in order to get to the intercooler, which isnt the case.
☼: I had been using the battery for it in my DD Miata for quite a long time, so although it was brand new when I bought the car, its old and might need to be replaced by the time everything is back together.
☼: Make the exhaust for the car. All I have for it is a downpipe, but thats not even on right now. The plan is to hopefully fab up an exhaust that I can replicate and we can sell as an inexpensive bolt-on SupraStore exhaust. Much of the original fancy aftermarket JDM exhausts are only getting tougher and more expensive to get, so I feel I should take the opportunity to help the community!
☼: I currently dont have a shifter for the car. My friend just recently finished his 2JZ S14 swap and used an R154, but it didnt come with a shifter. So for whatever reason, I let him "borrow it". It was cut/welded a bit to fit the chassis though, so he just has to buy me one. Still waiting on that, who knows when I'll get it. Another friend owes me a new MBC. Side note: dont let friends borrow your shit, even if theyre good friends, unless you're okay with not getting it back.
☼: My R154 thrust washer is fubar, so I'll be getting a built R154 from a friend. Dont want to play "hey, how long before this problem stops my car from being road worthy?" Also, the brake fluid in the car is absolutely disgusting and needs to be flushed pretty badly.
☼: A taillight bulb is out, so that means all of the taillights are out. I resoldered the taillight warning box thing, though I dont think it needed it. The bulb still needs to be replaced. I'm hoping the box just has a bad ground. I've wanted to convert them to LEDs for quite a while now, but that's far into the future.
☼: Oil filter relocation...I've planned on using an E38 BMW (7 series) remote cartridge filter setup. Also a nice oil-to-water cooler, and convert the factory oil cooler into a power steering cooler
☼: Install AEM wideband. I have the whole kit including bung, but the entire exhaust still needs to be made. I would also feel much more comfortable with oil temp and pressure gauges.

This is all the result of buying a modded car; someone else's project. It was ridiculous amounts of fun when I was 15-16, and way more power than I shouldve had, but I was very careful and thus still alive with an intact Supra because of it. It really needs some restomodding; now for the stuff I'd LIKE to do:
☼: Engine rebuild, drill out the #6 coolant passage in the head, fix the capped coolant lines on the block, replace hoses and shit as necessary, etc.
☼: FFIM, nicely sized Treadstone intercooler, MAP conversion, ITBs.
☼: Standalone EMS, still a toss-up between AEM, MAP-ECU, Maft-PRO, etc.
☼: GT35R/37R/S366 or similar turbo, ported factory manifold with ceramic coating and shits, maybe make a SupraStore 7M T4 manifold
☼: Big ol' injectors, 750ccs maybe? I'd rather go too big and not worry about that again.
☼: LED tails and front corners conversion
☼: New pedestal spoiler from the 2011+ Mustang. It looks real slick and is about the size of the pre89 one, maybe a little lower. Oh yeah, and those vortex generators from the Evo IX too.
☼: Custom vented hood, a la MkIV Top Secret. Some of you may remember me first mentioning it back in 05 or something when I initially made plans to make it. Nothing has really changed in that regard. Might just do a drop-in reverse vent kit if there's interest.
☼: Digital speedo box
☼: Fancy wheels. I'd like to have something lightweight like TE37s or RPF1s for "fun" and some taller 17" wheel for cruising.

Last edited:

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Why it sure can! Check the date of my original thread haha. At least you're doing it correctly, I really think you've made excellent choices with parts. I'm debating getting a new engine harness myself. I'm really not looking forward to the obnoxious stuff like bushings, wheel bearings...I do like the polyurethane idea though, might have to jack that for later. I can't wait to see your engine build progress!

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks for checking mine out.
And to celebrate- I'm going to go update my post!

PS- If I could do my poly's over again, I would have gotten them in black. Black ones are graphite impregnated,= less chance of squeaking.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
supraguy@aol;1864843 said:
Thanks for checking mine out.
And to celebrate- I'm going to go update my post!

PS- If I could do my poly's over again, I would have gotten them in black. Black ones are graphite impregnated,= less chance of squeaking.

Not all of them are, but I'm pretty sure the ones for our cars are. The ones for the Miata actually arent!

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Just got home with a few parts. What have we here? Is that a R154 built with the SupraStore rebuild kit? Why, yes it is! What else was in that cute Miata of yours, Lonnie?
2012-09-04%252018.38.03.jpg

Most of our oil cooler and filter relocation kit for my own car. 99% sure the 2JZ kit will work on the 7M, just need to check to see if it fits before it is offered.
2012-09-04%252019.26.11.jpg

Here's our old oil cooler on our new one. We recently changed suppliers and now have them in stock again. More cooler, same price!
2012-09-04%252019.27.14.jpg

The sparkling blue looks much better than the boring grey too
2012-09-04%252019.33.22.jpg

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Just realized I dont really have pics of my car up. I'll add them to the first post.

I dont go to UCF anymore. I had to move back home for family health reasons. I'm actually still in school, but very far behind and not in a hurry to finish or catch up. I'd love to go back and attend again, but I really dont feel like making the I4 drive back home all the time to see family again, so we'll see.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Not a big update, but I do have more stuff for my MkIII!

I didnt have enough for a complete filter relocation, so I ended up getting one of our new kits, which I love so much anyways.

2012-10-11%252000.44.18.jpg

I opted for the 19 row cooler (instead of the pretty blue 11 row) because it's Florida and I just want my oil to stay cool. Still wondering about whether or not I should get an oil thermostat of some sort. I was really planning on it, so the oil will get to temp quicker (it takes a little too long in the NA DD), but an oil cooled turbo will fix that quickly by itself. I'm hoping it wont get overcooled, but I guess I'll find out when I get pressure and temp gauges for it.

Decided to use the older, smaller cooler that we used to offer in our older kits (still good; not as good as the new kits, but same price) as a power steering cooler. It isnt too much bigger than the factory oil cooler, and I'm really not afraid of overcooling the power steering fluid since it seems to end up burning up pretty quickly in Supras, even MkIVs. Should prolly get a filter for it too.

Also, friend owed me an MBC, so he so graciously got me a Hallman ES:

2012-10-11%252000.45.12.jpg

I havent decided yet, but I'm strongly considering using it only temporarily on the Supra and saving it for when the Miata sees boost one day. I'm leaning strongly towards an AEM EMS v2 for my car, since I'd need a standalone with the ITBs anyways. I really like this boost controller and it is quite popular on other cars though, so dont get me wrong. Just considering a boost solenoid and AEM setup, even though I've always been strongly pro-MBC over EBC

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
This is actually IJ.'s old Accusump, so yes. 3 quarts, electronic pressure solenoid, and I guess he rebuilt it a bit before selling it. Didnt even know it was his when I bought it. No matter how confident I am as a 7M owner, it certainly wont hurt!

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Thanks man. It has been sitting for way too long and definitely time for it to move under 7M power again. Still figuring out how much I want to do now and how much will wait. Not sure if I'm going to get another AFM to use, or go straight for a standalone. The ITBs and whatever T4 I get will have to wait

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I'm actually reconsidering waiting on the ITBs/FFIM. I might just make a sheet metal intake, then research the CFD it really should have later.

In the mean time, I got a killer deal on all of this:

p1902735_1.jpg

p1902735_2.jpg

p1902735_3.jpg

p1902735_4.jpg

p1902735_5.jpg

I know for sure I wont be using this wastegate flange. Hopefully I'll get it to fit with an adapter. Originally I planned on cutting off the flange, but I'm not so sure thats the best idea

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I love it too! I'm just hoping it fits fine without modding it. It looks even better in person than in pics, really a solid design.

Oh, and a slight delay in getting the Supra back on the road, since I picked this up for my Miata -_-

p1902804_1.jpg

p1902804_2.jpg

p1902804_3.jpg

p1902804_4.jpg

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Looks like one of the next big steps to getting the Supra on the road is going to be..."fun." Going to need to make a new harness from scratch basically. The plan so far is to run Haltech Platinum Sport 2k, Nissan TPS (I have a set of RB26 throttle bodies going on with a different intake manifold design..might even use the stock RB26 plenum for now), GM LQ9 truck ignition coils. Not sure if I'll be able to get the Haltech to read the 7M CPS, so I'm guessing I'll need a trigger wheel. Need to figure out what injectors I'll be using as well. Will need to wire in a fan relay, definitely a new coolant temp sensor, and obviously a MAP based tune. All of that, and A/C too.

If anyone has any further thoughts and ideas to help me with, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and the Miata 1.6 turbo project is on indefinite hold. I'll be using most of the parts with the F20C build, going to send the turbo off to Boost Lab and see if they can upgrade it