oil catch can install

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
A little after this thread has been inactive... But I had a question so I figured I would post to see if anyone is still monitoring! I have a JAZ catch can and my problem is, or at least I think, I only have 2 outlet/inlets on my catch can and a filter on the top. I am getting constant vapors (steam) leaving the filter when car is at operating temperatures. I had the catch can where abs would be if I had it, so I re-ran it by the driver's side strut tower. So if I go with the setup of the TB connected to both valve covers then to the inlet (both seem the same, no different for inlet or outlet on catch can) on the CC then to the accordion hose? Do I need a different catch can? Dont know if this caused my rear main to start leaking (really started leaking bad after my swap to 0w-30 German Castrol)?
So what do you guys think?
Thanks

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I think you should dump the filter and route the hoses where the catch can actually works. Look at the top thread in the Reference section.

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
I will never use a catch can again....pointless.......PCV into downpipe FTW, Once you do it you will cut yourself for not doing it sooner.......

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Yeah so I am going to re-run the hoses like ADJUSTER has done on his, with the two valve covers t-ed attached to the TB port and then into the catch can, then from the other inlet/outlet of the Catch can to the accordian intake. So should I just get a new catch can? Or use pvc to plug the opening for the filter? I understand the plumming now, just not what to do with my catch can. I have this one
http://www.jazproducts.com/breather_tanks.html
its the 1 pint mini breather...
So what do you guys think?

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
p1049875_1.jpg

p1049875_2.jpg

p1049875_3.jpg

p1049875_4.jpg

p1049875_5.jpg

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Ok, so should I just block off the filter and t the valve covers with the TB port to one side of the catch can and put the other side of the Catch Can to the accordion intake? (currently have one hose for each valve cover ran to one port on the catch can...
Thanks

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I have newbie question about the catch can:

What the hell is it and what does it do??? catch oil from the P.C.V?? what do you do with the oil that you catch? Does the engine suck it back in and reuse it? Why can't you just reroute it back to the oil pan??
Or: did I miss the whole concept?? I didn't take the time to read the whole tread.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
supra has no PCV valve... just breathers. you want the engine to work like a vaccum.

the intake PULLS air from the valve covers into the intake and then into the engine, there are a lot of internal moving parts that displace air, and if you have blowby its even worse.

you hook up the catch can to catch the oil from the vavle covers to the intake, but the problem is you want a sealed system from the vavle covers to the catch can, to the intake otherwise you might was well just throw tubes on them and run them to the ground.

and hommer the last picture in post 67 is for an eclipse not a supra... lol

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It removes oil vapor by using the principles of condensation, surface area coalescing, and inertial (tortuous path) separation. A good can design and installation will employ all three.

The captured oil is discarded because sending back to the pan would introduce combustion byproducts. Think acid. PCV systems are technically emissions systems in that 70% of all blowby occurs during the compression stroke. The system is designed to burn that HC but in this case we're also concerned with the 30% of blowby (in a healthy engine) that is caused by combustion.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
LOL hey i was just hunting pics of systems for people to get the general idea...

I bought a catchcan gota hook up to... looks like i need to get 2 of them tho... they are small..:{ damn ebay looked bigger in picture

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
HommerSimpson;1051491 said:
LOL hey i was just hunting pics of systems for people to get the general idea...

I bought a catchcan gota hook up to... looks like i need to get 2 of them tho... they are small..:{ damn ebay looked bigger in picture

why would you want a huge catchcan? seems kinda silly, if your blowing that much oil you have other problems.

stabbinkabbin

Jul 18, 2008
Spring TX
Rennat;1051498 said:
why would you want a huge catchcan? seems kinda silly, if your blowing that much oil you have other problems.

This is what I wanna know, what other problems are we talking about here. =(
I have (what I would consider) quite a bit of oil coming out. lots of smoke....

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
The check valve idea seems like the best solution to me. This photo shows 2 catch cans. Why not just use one? Edit: I guess this diagram is not for Supra?

Are the two breathers on the top of the valve covers the only vents for the entire crankcase/PCV system on a 7M? Or is there a crankcase vent/breather somewhere down below?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
A mod needs to make sure all the post opinions on catch can setups are correct so we don't feed out any false information for future reference.

Btw some great info here, keep it coming.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
wow just finish reading all the posts and now i'm a little confused.
i'm almost done my na-t and i am using na valve cover on vent on either, was just gonna "t" them and run them to the throttle body for now wanna get her running before it snows.

now in theory that should be fine right, the throttle body that the pcv goes to wont pressureize under boost will it?