oil catch can install

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Actually a good question ;)

The TB PCV fitting has an orifice that limits the amount of boost pressure. The pressure that does get by helps move the oil vapors to the accordion hose with kind of a siphon effect as the flow passes over the outlets on the cam covers. This path is not as efficient as the reverse when plenum vacuum pulls oil vapor to the TB, but works.

BTW - the TB orifice can clog...it's one of the things I clean when I have the TB off the car.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
jdub;1152743 said:
Actually a good question ;)

The TB PCV fitting has an orifice that limits the amount of boost pressure. The pressure that does get by helps move the oil vapors to the accordion hose with kind of a siphon effect as the flow passes over the outlets on the cam covers. This path is not as efficient as the reverse when plenum vacuum pulls oil vapor to the TB, but works.

BTW - the TB orifice can clog...it's one of the things I clean when I have the TB off the car.

i see. but i'm not using a accordian hose, just a filter off my turbo since i'm going speed density with the maft pro, but if it does pressurize even a small bit i cant just route the two vents off the valve covers directly to the tb then right?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Do that and you will pressurize the crankcase...the air flow under boost needs to go from the TB, to the cam cover PCV tubes, to the turbo inlet. You will need to put a fitting on whatever you use to hold the air filter (i.e. the tube from the turbo inlet to air filter).

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
thats what i was figguring the eight pages or reading prolly saved my front or rear seals:)

so could i just cap the tb port, and run the valve cover vents to atmosphere-i know its not good for the enviroment-but its not my daily driver

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I wouldn't use filters on the valve covers. The PCV system needs the vac to pull vapor out of the crankcase. The biggest combustion byproduct is water...you also have fuel vapor, how much depends on the condition of the rings. Neither has a good effect on your oil. The whole idea is for the oil to get up to ops temp and vaporize both so they can be pulled in to the plenum. You're not going to have sufficient delta P unless vac is present at the cam covers.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
jdub,jetjock,adjuster thank you all

i just reread most of the posts-mainly you three

i will be tapping a hole in the pipe that i'll be connecting my air filter too-pre turbo of course.

i understand now how the tb port works under boost and vacum.

but now how does your heater control valve stay open under boost??? because its vacum operated and do you have brake assist under boost(not that you need it but i'm curious)

thanks all this thread saved me some headaches in the future.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
There are check valves in the heater valve and booster. With the engine off step on the brakes and after a few pumps you will run out of vacuum and the pedal will be much harder to press.

The cruise control actuator also runs off vacuum, and Toyota added an electric vacuum pump on it to allow it to continue to work while going up hills and such.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I'm a little confused.

If I use a FFIM and a Q45 what is the best way of plumbing the PCV?

Do I go for a vaccum port on the FFIM of similar orifice as the one on the stock throttle body or do I get hold of a PCV check valve?

The first option seems simpler and is what the stock system is doing.

I take it from the posts above that just plumbing the ports from the valve covers to the turbo intake is not going to work.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'll be working on a system for my car this week Kristian and will post pics and specs of what I'm doing.

I run a simple setup from the cam boxes to the Turbo intake now and while it works it's not ideal, I intend to address it's short comings.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Ok, cool.

It's just that Ron is making my manifold as we speak so if things need to be implemented on the intake manifold now is the time.

I'll stay tuned.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Like this?

c0b3_1.jpg

It's from a 3.6L V6 Thunderbird.

goliath

Fears no evil!
Mar 31, 2005
Lancaster, PA.
www.cardomain.com
Adjuster;842828 said:
Parker is one of just many builders/suppliers of air filter canisters that can be adapted to a "catch can" duty.

Mine is not the largest, but it does have a filter and swirl design inside of it that will keep any air passing from the valve covers to the turbo quite clean.

It was about 55.00 with a discount.

I was looking at one with a machined alloy body, and larger ports, but it was quite a bit larger than this one, and I've run out of space for more "stuff" under the hood... That one was 85.00, and rated for human breathing use. In otherwords, it cleans air flowing through it very well.. :) Although I liked the fact it had about 4x the volume of the one I ended up with, I do not have the desire to try and remote mount it somewhere there is space, and then plumb all the hoses and stuff.... (Considered the space where the stock IC pipe goes through the right apron, use the hole to route the hoses, and mount the larger seperator out there where it would be cooler, but really, how clean does this have to be? LOL)

Stock, there is no catch can, and the stock system works fine. (You do get oil in there, but big deal, it never affected any engine failures that I know of..) However, the oil condensed in the intercooler might have actually trapped some dirt in some cases... saving a motor or two? ;)

Adjuster...could you please provide links to the Parker products?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Kristian_Wraae;1162999 said:
Ok. Like this then?

28b7_1_b.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-8...016QQitemZ260208544251QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Seems like a simple setup.

How do you figure out the right size? How much boost will a check valve like that hold? Could I blow it out? Like the stock BOV which gives up rather quickly.

The metal one above looks like it's a bit more durable. Could be a nice clean install with one of those and some braided hoses.

I'd have to double check the bag but I'm pretty sure the one I got is a PCV002

This is all steel so should cope easily with boost and as it's only part time you'll be breathing into the Turbo inlet while on boost.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
jetjock;842611 said:
The whole "where to put it" thing in the engine bay is way overrated. If the separator is designed right it doesn't matter where it's mounted.

My car came with a GReddy catch can mounted right in front of the radiator. It appears that no oil is collecting in the can (nothing ever shows on the sight hose), and there is oil residue in my intake hose.

Will adding steel wool be enough to solve this? I was thinking of mounting it at the back corner passenger side of the bay, but it might still get hot from the turbo/exhaust there.

Also, any tips on how to clean the throttle body PCV port while on the car? Mine is hella plugged and overnight soaking in brake cleaner did not work (attached a tube, added solvent, let soak)

Last edited:

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Ok, so I know all about what you guys are saying about the cam cover ports needing vacuum to pull out oil, but there is pressure in the crankcase, if you just took the tubes off and left the cam cover ports open it's basically self venting. Of course if you cap them you will pop something, but the pressure in the crankcase should be enough to vent the vapor thus not creating pressure. Maybe I didnt explain it good enough.

Bascially what i'm getting at is I have a catch can on the driver's side and I have both cam ports routed right to 1 port on the can and a breather filter on the other port. The pressure created by churning in the crankcase are free to travel through the hosing. Will you say my can doesnt work? Trust me it works, I dump after about 3 drifts or 6 autocrosses, so its definately venting the oil vapors. Should you route it to a vacuum source? Sure why not, adding a bit a suction is cool, it'll pull your oil out faster. But I really dont want oil in the tracts and its not like the crankcase is going to build up pressure and pressure and exlpode, because it has a free traveling path of no resistance to the can that is vented to the atmosphere