• mkIV 6spd single

Votes: 43 81.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

turbotrev

Goin WEEEEE on my gsxr600
Aug 7, 2006
Clinton, MO
ya i figured i would try for a cobra first and if i cant find one that i like and that is in my price range i will just dump it in to my car

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
turbotrev said:
well if i am goin to be gettin a mkIV 6spd Big single i would be wanting something in the pwr range of 500-800whp!

If you could handle that much power, then by all means...Though I doubt you'll find an MK4 making that much power for ~25g's...

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
They're around. Depends on the condition of the car, mileage, parts used, etc.

Many times, the more stock the car is, the more it is worth with the JZA80. Alot of single turbo cars don't pull in a much larger premium simply because they're single. Single turbo cars can be found in the 25-30k range due to them being less desireable to many who prefer closer to stock. Doesn't apply to every Supra but it's not uncommon.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Ckanderson said:
rare as hell i've seen one. and its just a N/A mustang with no rear seat.

Cobra R is a race car, pure and simple and is lighter, stiffer, and meaner than a normal utilitarian Cobra.

and no, the cobra R would more than likely be FASTER since it has almost the same power and is far lighter (yes I'm talking aobut the N/A Cobra R vs the S/Ced Cobra).

cobra R also handles better pulling over 1G on the skidpad stock.

Normal Cobra vs. MKIV... stock for stock the Cobra is a bit quicker, but the supra handles better with .98g's while the cobra is at .9g's.

MKIV's have proven to be damn near bomb proof in their drivetrain and motor as well.

Root's style superchargers are notoriously hard to keep the intake charge cool compared to a centrifigal supercharger setup or better yet a turbo setup.

Personally, there isn't a contest here, the Supra will walk all over the Cobra with mods, top speed wise, in the twisties, as a panty dropper... The Cobra may have an edge light to light, but it's still a mustang...

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Poodles said:
and no, the cobra R would more than likely be FASTER since it has almost the same power and is far lighter (yes I'm talking aobut the N/A Cobra R vs the S/Ced Cobra).

Might I point you to the FAQ section Page 2

1995 Ford Mustang Cobra R 5.2 13.8
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT 4.5 12.9

Thanks though!:momaru:

Poodles said:
MKIV's have proven to be damn near bomb proof in their drivetrain and motor as well.
Yes cause the t-56 and the hand built Cobra motor are fragile as hell and people havent made over 1k with the stock bottom end.
:momaru:

Poodles said:
The Cobra may have an edge light to light, but it's still a mustang...
And the supra is still a 9 year old (at the youngest) Toyota, not exactly a claim to fame there buddy.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bingo there kwnate, the old cobra R was dumb (it had a larger gas tank :rofl: )

the laters ones are track monsters (there was one at the track day at 2K7) and they are quite fast...

roundfinger

Supramania Contributor
Aug 23, 2006
Pensacola, Florida, United States
The 1995 cobra r's are 351 windsors and the 2000 cobra r's are 5.4's DOHC's and both i believe do not have ac or much else in the way of convenience. Also both are limited in production # so modding em might tick of the purists and kill your resale.

Ive had several mustangs and 2 supras,(one mustang now and one turbo mustang no clue which ill keep atm :) ) i like em all for various reasons.

Hope you find what your looking for it might be a rough decision and no matter what after a bit i bet your wallet will be lighter by more than just 25k! Damn peed addictions. no matter what lets see some pics of the final car be it your mkIII , cobra or a new mkIV

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
Toyota h8r said:
honestly? id go cobra....why not get something almost new and is faster stock. Also, never have to worry about getting a bhg, finding parts, motor swaps hehehe. Change a pulley, full exhuast, intake.......zoom zoom zoom. I mean get what ya want but if i had that kinda money options id go cobra or corvette.
he's contemplating an mk4,

mk4 = 2jz
2jz = MHG.