need coilover advice

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
blk92suprat;1279494 said:
haha.. I think the car feels better with some preload but hey, im no suspension expert..do what you want. btw, no idea where you heard running preload makes the handling charateristics worse...

In the end it all depends on driver preference, your car setup, and what type of racing/driving your doing. And what track/street your on. Especially on a street car, preload is bad, because like i said it inhibits the spring from compression until a higher load...thus your suspension does not absorb the bumps as it should

don't be fooled though, often times a car can "feel" better because it's stiff, and while it may be better than stock it's not the best

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
tErbo b00st;1279360 said:
Megan's are pretty terrible coilovers. They are cheap and deffinently feel like it. If you have never driven on a good coilover you won't really understand. You can have a stiff spring and with a properly valved damper it will still have a decent ride.

And generally speaking you don't want to run any preload. Preload makes it even more difficult for the spring to compress when encountering bumps, which means worse ride and the car will be more unsettled during midcorner bumps

So you don't have any experiene with them?

And over stock, the handling and ride quiality greatly improved. There my first set of coilovers on any cars, so I'm the farthest thing from an expert.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
blk92suprat;1279494 said:
haha.. I think the car feels better with some preload but hey, im no suspension expert..do what you want. btw, no idea where you heard running preload makes the handling charateristics worse...

dumbo;1279523 said:
So you don't have any experiene with them?

And over stock, the handling and ride quiality greatly improved. There my first set of coilovers on any cars, so I'm the farthest thing from an expert.

I do not have experience with them on an mkiii...I do have a lot of experience with them on 240sx's

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but pre-loading your springs is only an issue with non-linear spring rates. Since most (if not all?) coilovers I have used and read about have all had linear springs, then preloading them shouldn't make a difference. The only issue arises when you lower your car too low and reach the maximum compression range of the springs themselves...yikes that is hard on the car. If you insist on having your car that low, make sure whatever coil over you are using have quality bump stops.

I have used a combination of:

Intrax springs + Tokico blues
Cusco somethings (from Japan)
Tein SS with Tein pillow mounts
Tein HAs

I'm running the HAs on my car now, and for every day driving I do find them a bit on the rough side. I like the stance of my car and for the most part it isn't too low that I need to inch over speed bumps. With a low supra + large exhaust you will find going in/out of some parking lots can be a pain.

As far as build quality goes, I'd say that Cusco makes the best product of those I have experience with. They don't rust - unlike Tein - and are quite a bit lighter. I didn't like them because the spring rates were much too high for my liking.

A matching set of quality sway bars will improve the handling (and especially body roll) of your car by a good margin as well. I have suspension techniques, and they are pretty good. I can't compare them to anything other than stock though.

tErbo_b00st: You might want to reread your posts before coming across as a suspension expert...I have never seen you here on SM and your opinions would be better backed with some proof. You say X set of suspension is crap? Well provide some results.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
TobyCat;1280485 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but pre-loading your springs is only an issue with non-linear spring rates. Since most (if not all?) coilovers I have used and read about have all had linear springs, then preloading them shouldn't make a difference. The only issue arises when you lower your car too low and reach the maximum compression range of the springs themselves...yikes that is hard on the car. If you insist on having your car that low, make sure whatever coil over you are using have quality bump stops.

I have used a combination of:

Intrax springs + Tokico blues
Cusco somethings (from Japan)
Tein SS with Tein pillow mounts
Tein HAs

I'm running the HAs on my car now, and for every day driving I do find them a bit on the rough side. I like the stance of my car and for the most part it isn't too low that I need to inch over speed bumps. With a low supra + large exhaust you will find going in/out of some parking lots can be a pain.

As far as build quality goes, I'd say that Cusco makes the best product of those I have experience with. They don't rust - unlike Tein - and are quite a bit lighter. I didn't like them because the spring rates were much too high for my liking.

A matching set of quality sway bars will improve the handling (and especially body roll) of your car by a good margin as well. I have suspension techniques, and they are pretty good. I can't compare them to anything other than stock though.

tErbo_b00st: You might want to reread your posts before coming across as a suspension expert...I have never seen you here on SM and your opinions would be better backed with some proof. You say X set of suspension is crap? Well provide some results.

thanks for the very informative post :nono:

i don't have time to go through and find a bunch of data to support my theories, than explain how to read/understand shock dyno plots...as well as go into suspension theory. this is part of the reason i havn't posted here much. I know it sounds like a cop out, but i really don't have the time. If I find myself some time I will make a new post with some very informative information (I will try to do so in the near future).

preloading springs is not just bad on a progressive springs. A linear spring is rated in lbs/inch (or kg/mm) which means for a given force (lbs) the spring will deflect a certain distance. If you have 500 lbs/inch springs that means the spring will deflect 1 inch with a force (weight) of 500 lbs exerted against it. BUT if you deflect the spring 1 inch with preload...now it takes 500 lbs of extra force before it will deflect any more. Hence why I say it is difficult for your suspension to now absorb bumps in the road. When used properly, and on a well paved track, preload can be advantageous, but as a general rule of thumb, little to no preload is desirable.

"The only issue arises when you lower your car too low and reach the maximum compression range of the springs themselves"

- a good set of coilovers will either A) be properly matched to your desired ride height so you can be "slammed" and still be 100% in the useable range of the damper. or B) height adjustable without "drooping" of the springs, ie the damper will adjust up/down on the lower mounting point as opposed to the the spring moving up/down the shock body.

"A matching set of quality sway bars will improve the handling (and especially body roll) of your car by a good margin as well. I have suspension techniques, and they are pretty good. I can't compare them to anything other than stock though."

- do you even understand how sway bars work? You also, have nothing to compare your results with so thanks for your "opinion". They work by transfering the load laterally from one side of the car to the other. what this means is the natural tendency for the suspension to do it's job his hindered by forcing more load on a tire that is already loaded up. What does this mean? less overal lateral traction. Sway bars are good in controlling roll and weight transfer, which is good for overall handling, however too thick of a bar and you loose overall grip. Have you heard how a bigger bar on the rear will increase oversteer, or a bigger bar in the front will increase understeer? Well imagine when you put a bigger bar on both ends...decreased grip all around. The thing about suspension tuning is there is a lot of theory, a lot of driver preference, and many ways to achieve one final goal. IN MY OPINION (and wisass as well) sway bars are best used as a tool to fine tune the balance of a car...let your springs control roll. And using a smaller sway bar than a larger one is the goal. for reference I'm using stock sways, and have no plan on changing.

god dammit, now i spent way too much time on this post...fuck you tobycat :icon_razz

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
Excellent, an attempt at intelligent conversation. See, that wasn't so hard was it?

I still don't understand how preloading a linear spring lessens the coilover's ability to absorb shocks. If I place 500lbs of force on a spring to compress it 1 inch, how much additional force would it take to compress it 2 inches? 500lbs more. This is the same idea with the car's weight and preload on the coilover. If the springs are linear then X amount of force compress the springs by distance Y. So in driving conditions, a bump which reacts against the coilover with say 200lbs of force will compress it the same amount regardless if the springs have 0 or 500lbs of load on them already.

However, there are of course physical limitations to this. This isn't high school where we can assume perfectly spherical elephants. The amount of physical travel to the spring is limited to its dimensions; obviously you can't compress a spring beyond 'flat'. Also, when you approach the limits of the springs compression, the characteristics of its rate may change. Is this what you were getting at with preload? Lowering your car too much is done by moving the spring down the absorber. You are reducing the available compression distance...back to my quality bump stop comment.

As far as sway bars go, did you perhaps not read my sentence? I think the part about body roll was enough of an indication that I have some idea how they work. I brought this up solely because often people will upgrade their suspension but forget completely about matching an appropriate pair of sway bars. Seeing as you're a fan of stock sway bars, how stiff of springs do you plan on running in order to combat the Mk3's notoriously bad body roll?

And finally, yes I provided an opinion - a review if you were. Difference being I provided feedback on actual items that I have used and gave reasoning for why or why not they met my needs.

P.S. Fuck you too

Last edited:

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Fuckin Eh!:canada LOL

Every damn thread on coilovers I've read seems to go with one person saying something good, then another contradicting him, or vice-versa.

Is there any hard data on how to "rate" suspension, graphs, skidpad g's(or whatever its called) or something of that matter??!?!?!

It always seems to be just opinions. By what you can afford, I bought Megans, not cause there cheap because they have some damn heavy springs(Heaviest I could find) and our cars are PIG fat!

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Jokervrs;1280763 said:
How are those megan coils? ive heard megan isnt exactly quality material, correct me if im wrong.

-megan build quality is actually pretty nice. However their damping in respect to their spring rates and dynamic installation ratio is not very good. They are good if you don't care about overall handling and just want something to lower your car and have a stiffer ride. However a properly setup system will allow your car to go low, control body roll (stiff spring), and still have a decent ride.

tobycat-

I just had a long fucking post, and it got deleted...so i'm gonna make this short and to the point

If you preload a spring with 500lbs so it is compressed 1", it now takes an additional 500lbs before it will compress ANY. Therefore until you hit 500lbs of force from lateral weight transfer or encoutnering bumps your spring effetively has a spring rate of infinity (ie a steel bar)

"Is this what you were getting at with preload? Lowering your car too much is done by moving the spring down the absorber. You are reducing the available compression distance...back to my quality bump stop comment.
"

-I talked about this in my last post...a quality setup you do not have to worry about this

-I am currently running 23f/12r kg/mm on my new TIP coilovers. I havn't had a chance to try them out yet. My previous TIP setup was 22/11.5 (iirc)...I was extremely happy with this, and although there was still some body roll, it was very manageable. And this is in a sport where load transfer (ie body roll) can be extremely abrupt (drifting)

The reason mkiii's are "notorious" for body roll is due to their heavy weight, but mostly because most owners are running off the shelf springs (eibach) coupled with random dampers. These springs and dampers are only slightly stiffer than stock. This is made worse by lowering of the car moving the roll center (do we want an explanation on this too?) of the car downwards more than the center of gravity, which creates a larger moment about the COG and creates more roll.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
We need the SM suspension expert (Wiisass) to settle this "preload" discussion and tell us how all asian coilovers suck...hah jk I know how you feel about them from other threads.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
I have TEIN SS on both my 87 and 90 supras. I love them. I love the handling. I think if I were to start a new car I would try out the Stances.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
What do you guys think about cusco? I bought a set for $750 Canadian and I'm wondering if they are worth it or if I should just stick with my H&R's.

What I really want to know, is what you think about the cusco vs. other coilovers.