need coilover advice

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
i have a 88 mk3 and im looking for a coilover setup to give my car a better stance and better controlling. i hvae looked at alot of things but cant decide. was leaning to the tein ss but didnt want to have them blow and have to send them to i dont kno where to get them rebuilt heard they rust some also. so recently i have been looking at ground control with konis.. have heard good things about them. any suggestions would help open to hear anything. any pics of the ground control would be nice. thanks again for any help and suggestions.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I have TEIN Flex Control Masters on my 87 and I love them. The height adjustment ring will get stuck, but that can be fixed with some PB Blaster and a hair dryer. TEIN's are really good and provide good control and adjustability, especially the new ones. Remember with them, they are built to a very high standard.

Adam

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
If it helps any, my car stays damn flat around corners (i.e. 35mph capable round typical street corners maintaining proper lane, awfully tight though and liable to lose the ass end) with sway bars and h&r springs. Handling response will improve with low profile tires as well. I'm using whiteline sways front and rear, using the softer selection holes.
<---Pictured is 17s on 40 profile tires

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
My Supra doesn't have any roll either, and I that was on a semi-soft setting. I have ST sway bars front and rear and a Megan Racing rear strut tower brace. I'm running 17's with a 40&#37; profile as well and a sticky compound. Remember, lower profile makes the car stiffer, but stiffer can mean lost traction. If you look at my sig, you will see that my tires actually still have a decent sideway.

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
honestabe;1269234 said:
I have TEIN Flex Control Masters on my 87 and I love them. The height adjustment ring will get stuck, but that can be fixed with some PB Blaster and a hair dryer. TEIN's are really good and provide good control and adjustability, especially the new ones. Remember with them, they are built to a very high standard.

Adam

i heard that teins can rust easily. is that true?

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Needboost;1273086 said:
i heard that teins can rust easily. is that true?

Make sure the rings can all move freely. If not spray them with PB Blaster and heat them up with a hair drier and that will free them (that's what I had to do). Once they all are able to move freely spray them with PB Blaster and it will inhibit rust and make sure they are able to move when you want them to.

HIDPLANET

89 1JZGTE
Stance Coilovers was my choice after reading and reading about all the different ones available. They seem to be built tougher than some of the other brands out there but only time will tell.

st-s13.jpg

(not jza70 units but they look the same without the tabs)

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
HIDPLANET;1274228 said:
Stance Coilovers was my choice after reading and reading about all the different ones available. They seem to be built tougher than some of the other brands out there but only time will tell.

st-s13.jpg

(not jza70 units but they look the same without the tabs)

yeah i have looked into these to. ive heard real good reviews

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
I opted for the Megan Track Spec Coilovers.

I too was thinking about the stances and tein ss.

Tein ss has no pillow mounts and stance has a too low rear spring rate compared to the fronts.

With a little tweaking you can get the Megans real low in the rear too.

Last edited:

Needboost

Mar 2, 2009
danville, virginia
blk92suprat;1276082 said:
I opted for the Megan Track Spec Coilovers.

I too was thinking about the stances and tein ss.

Tein ss has no pillow mounts and stance has a too low rear spring rate compared to the fronts.

With a little tweaking you can get the Megans real low in the rear too.

i havent heard that much about megans

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
I just installed megan track series on my car aswell. WOW is all I can say, but I went from stock.
18kg/mm front
14kg/mm rear

Smooth ride, these are heavy cars, and those are some heavy springs.

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
Yea the Megan Tracks ride amazing on flat/even roads but are very unforgiving on back roads/shitty road surfaces.

I upgraded to these from stock as well. Say bye bye to 4x4 height.

As I said earlier, only drawback is if you want to go really low in the rear you will have to run zero preload.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Megan's are pretty terrible coilovers. They are cheap and deffinently feel like it. If you have never driven on a good coilover you won't really understand. You can have a stiff spring and with a properly valved damper it will still have a decent ride.

And generally speaking you don't want to run any preload. Preload makes it even more difficult for the spring to compress when encountering bumps, which means worse ride and the car will be more unsettled during midcorner bumps

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
tErbo b00st;1279360 said:
Megan's are pretty terrible coilovers. They are cheap and deffinently feel like it. If you have never driven on a good coilover you won't really understand. You can have a stiff spring and with a properly valved damper it will still have a decent ride.

And generally speaking you don't want to run any preload. Preload makes it even more difficult for the spring to compress when encountering bumps, which means worse ride and the car will be more unsettled during midcorner bumps

and you have had first hand experience with these coilovers? It is necessary to run preload in the front if your ride height is low to prevent rubbing under high speed compressions.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
blk92suprat;1279419 said:
and you have had first hand experience with these coilovers? It is necessary to run preload in the front if your ride height is low to prevent rubbing under high speed compressions.

So your trying to improve handling with coilovers, than get crappy coilovers and make them worse with preload?

If your rubbing there are other steps that can be taken other than running preload. Roll your fenders, change tire size, bang out the wheel well, remove fender lining...all of which depend on your particular setup

blk92suprat

J Zizzle
Jul 6, 2008
USA
haha.. I think the car feels better with some preload but hey, im no suspension expert..do what you want. btw, no idea where you heard running preload makes the handling charateristics worse...
tErbo b00st;1279459 said:
So your trying to improve handling with coilovers, than get crappy coilovers and make them worse with preload?

If your rubbing there are other steps that can be taken other than running preload. Roll your fenders, change tire size, bang out the wheel well, remove fender lining...all of which depend on your particular setup