My *sort of* build thread. (PIC WHORE)

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I will start off that the main reason i am making this thread is to show off all my pictures, and to get help every step of the way. So i recently bought a 7mgte to swap into my 86.5 NA. Basically i am just taking the engine mostly apart to inspect it, and putting it back together with new parts where needed. My budget is EXTREMELY tight on this so i am trying to get by with only what is necessary, and checking all my parts before replaceing them.
p1244517_1.jpg

So far i have removed the pan and inspected the bearings and journals. The bearings looked like they were in pretty bad shape, but all the clearances were in spec. Unfortunately one of the main journals had some major pitting, and it looks like a new crank is my option. I am going to use the crank out of my NA after i pull the engine out of it.
p1244517_2.jpg

p1244517_3.jpg

p1244517_4.jpg

p1244517_5.jpg

p1244517_6.jpg

p1244517_7.jpg

p1244517_7.jpg

I have also now pulled the head. This head has all kinds of money into it recently (with receipts!). It had a valve job, lash adjustment, cleaning, surfacing, new seals etc. The engine also has a newly rebuilt turbo. ARP head studs were on the engine on a new head gasket, but i don't trust the guys work, so i am doing it over again myself. Also turns out its missing the locating pin in the rear. Checked for cracks between the head stud holes and the water jacket holes, and only found one that was barely visible. Thats a good thing!
p1244517_9.jpg

p1244517_10.jpg

p1244517_11.jpg

p1244517_12.jpg

p1244517_13.jpg

p1244517_14.jpg

All my parts
p1244517_15.jpg

Yum new vac line!:naughty:
p1244517_16.jpg

Thats all for now! Willl update regularly.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Am i right in saying i cant put the head back on until i get the crankshaft swapped in because of the rear timing cover? Or can the rear timing cover be put on after the head?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Lookin' good so far. You could just get the crank machined and use over sized bearings. Unless your budget is that tight.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Small update, pulled the crank. Going to run it down to the machine shop and get an opinion on it, hopeful but not counting on anything good.
Oh ya, and heres the ratchet everyone keeps talking about:biglaugh:
p1245947_1.jpg

p1245947_2.jpg

Pistons nice and clean looking
p1245947_3.jpg

p1245947_4.jpg

p1245947_5.jpg

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I also have a question. How far in do i press the dipstick tube into the block? I see some kind of line that looks like it indicates where to stop, but it wasn't at this line when i got the engine so im not entirely sure. Any help would be appreciated with that.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
so ive been thinking a lot and i think im going to go NA-T. I will just use my NA block pistons rods crank everything but use the head off the turbo along with all the manifolds etc. Am i correct in saying all i need to do to convert it is drill and tap the turbo feed? Does the drain have to be drilled as well? Also, is a stock head gasket on stock boost levels suitable for NA-T, and what about slightly higher than stock boost? Will the higher compression ratio make detonation that much easier to the point where a stock gasket cant be used?

My oil pan on the NA already has the cooler drain bung, its just plugged with a bolt, so this should work fine right? Thanks.

Last edited:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
CyFi6;1246694 said:
so ive been thinking a lot and i think im going to go NA-T. I will just use my NA block pistons rods crank everything but use the head off the turbo along with all the manifolds etc. Am i correct in saying all i need to do to convert it is drill and tap the turbo feed? Does the drain have to be drilled as well? Also, is a stock head gasket on stock boost levels suitable for NA-T, and what about slightly higher than stock boost? Will the higher compression ratio make detonation that much easier to the point where a stock gasket cant be used?

My oil pan on the NA already has the cooler drain bung, its just plugged with a bolt, so this should work fine right? Thanks.
Sorry, i hit reply instead of edit by accident.

Also, if nobody minds me asking, what should the clearance be between the cylinder walls and the piston on the axial sides of the piston, specifically on the bottom of the piston (not the thrust sides) when cold? The clearance on my engine seems a bit excessive, but im not sure how much expansion takes up. I can move the piston barely fore and aft in its bore, but the thrust sides/skirts are tight in the bore. Thanks.

Last edited:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
OK looks like this build has gone to shit.. lol. Upon closer inspection the cylinder walls are seriously fucked up. Whoever built this engine is a read ass hole. It looks like they used a 3 stone hone from autozone on a drill. Not only are the hatchmarks uneven, but they are deep, i can feel them with my fingernail. Also, if i grab the rod and move it back and forth front underneath the whole pistons rocks in the bore. It looks like they honed it way too much and used the stock sized pistons etc.

Basically this engine needs a complete overhaul, if i put it together like this it is destined for failure very fast. Im going to have to find a place to store the block until i get enough money, it iwll probably be another year before i have enough to get it done. We will see what happens but basically progress on this is over!

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
that blows! its called junk yard for new block tho. hell maybe you can source a better bottom end altogether. its hasnt gone to shit just need to find some better parts to play with.

looks like your rocking the gear wrench set. mine has helped me quite a bit.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Im done with used parts... Im just going to go all out full rebuild on the shortblock. I no longer have any trust in other peoples parts or work. Its going to take some serious $$, but its just a matter of time to get there (and work!).

And yes, the gearwrench ratchets are amazazing. Mine have some special ridge on one side so it doesnt "slide over" a bolt head or something once you start unscrewing it, which is very nice.

Last edited:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
HAHAHA, oh my gosh, you guys are going to laugh. As if this engine couldnt get worse, i cleaned the pistons and whats stamped on them? .75..... Thats right, my pistons are a .75 oversize... that means my block is junk too. I didn't know how one engine can be so fucked up.... And worst of all i ended up with it, but i also payed out the ass for it. I cant believe this engine actually ran.