My restoration project - Rusty 89

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
:yikes: WOW! I just went through all 40 pages of this build. and all I have to say is wow!

Best build i have ever seen, by far. Deff subbed

Now I just want more! :p

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
gtsfirefighter;1666911 said:
Um... What's the latests with this beauty?

:wavey:

The latest?

Well, its currently -30 here, so it has been in storage since November.

The latest improvement to the car was the AEM EMS installation. I struggled through the software and managed to get the car running acceptably. ISC valve died right before putting the car to bed, so the first thing it gets in spring is a new 2JZ ISC valve. A group of us are bringing a big name tuner to town in May, so the tune will be polished up then.

In the meantime, a new interior is in the works - burgundy leather with charcoal alcantara inserts. Debating whether to give the alcantara treatment to the headliner as well.

Also, the rear subframe needs some attention from a welder.

After that, I'm going to autocross the shit out of it (see avatar). Only problem is that I don't really fit so well with a helmet...

Levi Mangiaracina

Dec 30, 2010
Columbia, TN
Wow this is the best rebuild I've ever seen. Great Job!! looks amazing. I read each page with ever building anticipation for the next. Love the determination you have shown for the build. I know everyone here thinks the same. !RESPECT!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
So a group of us in Edmonton brought Justin Nenni out to tune our cars. Among some mid-600 HP MK4s, Soarers, and an apparently obscenely loud R35 was ourwhite 7M powered MK3.

Running an AEM and a 60 trim CT upgrade, the car put down 369 WHP at 13 lbs within the first couple of runs. Sadly, this was as high as it got. After a few more pulls, the car started dropping boost big time after 5200 RPM, and as the car heated up further, boost kept dropping lower and lower. A boost leak test revealed no leaks, but a ton of oil in the turbo inlet indicating the poor CT upgrade (with turbonetics exhaust housing mind you) was on its way out after a life of 35000 km.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4RGh_idpXU

Another local member (Radride on SF) mentioned that Justin took his car from running like a modified car and turned it into a lexus, and it was no different with this car. It runs absolutely flawless even with a Q45 throttle body.

Even though the car didn't hit its goal of 450-500 HP, the tuning was still worth the price paid. Justin's services are second to none - if you get a chance spend some time tuning with him, you won't be disappointed. Big thanks to Toby (redmethods on SF) for organizing the tuning.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Interior...
p1728111_1.jpg

p1728111_2.jpg

turbo install is soon to come.

tig321

Mar 13, 2006
Edmonton/Victoria
Life? I don't get it?
looks very good Adam. I can't tell if it's a charcoal grey or black color with the flash?
I've never been a big fan of Toyota's burgundy but I like what you've done with it.
Did you get your CT rebuilt? Oh, I just noticed the "turbo install to come" at the bottom of your post, I guess I'll just wait and see what your up too:)

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
tig321;1728126 said:
Life? I don't get it?
looks very good Adam. I can't tell if it's a charcoal grey or black color with the flash?
I've never been a big fan of Toyota's burgundy but I like what you've done with it.
Did you get your CT rebuilt? Oh, I just noticed the "turbo install to come" at the bottom of your post, I guess I'll just wait and see what your up too:)

Jan 31st, May 8th, Today! At that interval... the exclamation of surprise at activity is justifiably a proclamation worthy event! LIFE!

-crisp

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
nope, done with the ct. T4 based comp 6065 tbb going in. Welded some fittings onto the dp and intake tubes yesterday, now just waiting on the mail for some misc. stuff to finish it all off.

the alcantara is in fact charcoal, not black.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
photo1.JPGphoto2.JPG

Turbo installation was a bit of a bitch, but is now complete. Comp 6065 TBB with all supporting piping and hoses from Driftmotion. Open wastegate sounds damn mean.

Yes, there are no coils in the engine shot. Those are now back at home where they should be. Cam gears are waiting to be hidden behind a CF cover as well.

Took the car out for a spin at wastegate pressure (8.5 psi) and it felt fantastic. Next, we go to 15 lbs and see how she feels.

Last edited:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
adampecush;1740306 said:
View attachment 51997View attachment 51998

Turbo installation was a bit of a bitch, but is now complete. Comp 6065 TBB. Open wastegate sounds damn mean.

This! I kinda like it sometimes, and kinda hate it at other times. I really, really like the way my tanabe sounds on its own <3

I will be very interested in when your 60 comes online!

Last edited:

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
well, lets go on a pictoral journey then.

Last summer, I sold my dd so I drove the car for a few months with a shiny new turbo. It was pushing oil out the intake so, I did a compression test. 1-5 :) 6 :(
#6:
p1864740_1.jpg

#3:
p1864740_2.jpg

Expensive replacement head:
p1864740_3.jpg

Aside from the block being at the machine shop and my search for a good head, the following have also been preventing me from doing as much work as I want:
Last year's dd acquisition:
p1864740_4.jpg

And I made this recently as well with some help from my wife (Madeline is her name):
p1864740_5.jpg

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
So, after buying a cracked "built" head, I finally tracked down a head free of combustion chamber cracks. Off to the shop for cleaning and a valve job, then I'll try my hand at porting. (Casting #3 on this head)

As far as the block is concerned, thankfully the worst cylinder cleaned up at .040" over. FYI, if a spark plug ever lets go on you (this was a champion plug back before I knew better) it will fuck everything up (trashed the head surfaces and gouged the cylinder wall). Thanks to the previous build, the mains are all within .0001", so no line hone necessary. Here's the build list for the engine:

Wiseco .040" pistons
Eagle rods w/L19 hardware
Balanced 6m crank
Appropriate size MHG (cometic likely)
Ferrea +1 mm valves w/dual springs
Stock cams for now
750cc injectors
Staying with the AEM and billet 6065 turbo. Should be good for a reliable 600 hp.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i have some pic's of my last head porting job it not huge just more of clean up and stuff if ya want i can post them up

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
update? well, I've given up on taking pictures for one...and my part time racecar/dd has been receiving a lot of attention. not to mention my child and wife.

The car is apart and progress is being made though. New additions since last update include:
-RPS flywheel, ATI dampener (should be rather rev happy now)
-engine bay recently painted
-reinforced subframe, A1 adjustable rear arms, ronniek yellow subframe bushings

I think that's about it. To-do list includes fitting the wiring harness on the motor, installing the transmission, reinstalling the engine bay wiring and then dropping the engine in (not really dropping, sliding it under the car this time - tired of crunching the seam on my firewall.) I'm hoping I can get this together by the end of August.

I'm not going to lie, I'm getting sick of working on this thing and just want to drive it.

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
adampecush;1956268 said:
I'm not going to lie, I'm getting sick of working on this thing and just want to drive it.

Okay.. did you just hear the entire forum go... "I hear that man!"

I think we all get there. Just wondering are you also a member of the Alberta Supra Club? (I go by same name there)