My restoration project - Rusty 89

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
next step in the project:

aem.jpg

Not the V2 I was hoping for, but for the price I paid (stupid cheap), well worthwhile. Looks like I'll spend the winter learing the ways of the computer and probably look into removing the multiplexed ignition. Should be a significant step up from the lex/S-AFC combo.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I apologize if you've posted them earlier in this thread; but, do you have any close ups of your wheels?

Could I get the specs on them too?

Thanks and sweet ride man...sweet! :)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I'm at work right now, so I don't have any good pictures with me.

The wheels however are 5zigen fno1r-c, in 17x9 and 17x10, both +35.

Tires are 235/45/17 F and 275/40/17 R

adam

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Thanks for the specs. More pics would be cool; but, no big rush or anything.

The previous owner of my car curbed both fronts. One has a bent lip and cannot be balanced. It's too bad because I like them pretty well. I wish the spokes were thicker; but, I could've lived with it. Save the damage anyway...

I'll be looking to replace them in the spring.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I just finished reading this entire thread, and all I can say is wow. Just wow! The dedication required to finish such a project is amazing, but you did it!

Side note- I'm running an AEM and got rid of the misfire stuff by running a Toyota DH61 igniter.
Something other things- with AEM you can run full sequential fuel injection, but I suspect you wouldn't do that since it requires stripping the harness and running 3 new wires. You can also convert to MAP based and get rid of the AFM, but that too will require harness modification. It's a very easy-to-use system and I think you'll like it a lot.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
As a matter of fact, I've picked up all of what you are referring to already - the dh61 ignitor, 3 bar map, and IAT sensor...sequential ignition is also something I'm giving serious thought to...did you notice any quantifiable benefits of going sequential?

I'm just now coming to terms with the fact that I might have to perform surgery on my brand new engine harness...

thanks for the positive comments too

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I would just buy loom for the three wires and run them along the engine harness with black zip ties to hide everything. I myself have a new engine harness and I don't regret buying it for my build because it gives you peace of mind about electrical problems.

Squential Fuel Injection? I have heard of it with the AEM but are their any real benefits? Thanks.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
IBoughtASupra;1493426 said:
I would just buy loom for the three wires and run them along the engine harness with black zip ties to hide everything. I myself have a new engine harness and I don't regret buying it for my build because it gives you peace of mind about electrical problems.

Yeah, but that's not the way I work. I like to do things the way the factory would have, especially with my wiring (i.e. as few solders as humanly possible). This way, I can also eliminate unnecessary plugs (AFM/O2/Oil pressure) and use that wiring for my MAP and IAT sensors. (I hadn't actually thought of using that wiring for my new sensors until now!)

I certainly don't regret buying the new harness (in spite of the fact the old one was still "working").

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
adampecush;1493931 said:
Yeah, but that's not the way I work. I like to do things the way the factory would have, especially with my wiring (i.e. as few solders as humanly possible). This way, I can also eliminate unnecessary plugs (AFM/O2/Oil pressure) and use that wiring for my MAP and IAT sensors. (I hadn't actually thought of using that wiring for my new sensors until now!)

I certainly don't regret buying the new harness (in spite of the fact the old one was still "working").

I see what you mean, but I won't want to dig into my harness. Trust me, I stripped all the covers and loom on the body harness under the hood and did it over again. I also removed the gray covers from the factory harness and put black loom so everything matched. I am really a detailed person about my car. I am going to bring back my build thread and give a huge update about what happened since then, when the machine shop mixed up the buckets!!! I found thicker shims than stock, what was on the exhaust side, on the intake side when I stripped the head.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The old harness? I do, it was an automatic harness. I bought a new 1989 Grey Plug harness from Toyota. By the way, since my car was automatic, I don't have to press the clutch to start it, how can I wire in a neutral saftey switch? Thanks, sorry don't mean to hijack this thread.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
IJ.;1493487 said:
^^^

You can also adjust injection timing and trim individual cylinders.

So IJ, is there any benefit to running the stock injectors on sqeuential injection? I have read that many people are having trouble using the stock igniter with the AEM but how would I wire in a different igniter, suggestions on which on to use?

I really don't want to cut up my new harness so I would have to find some pigtails.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
IBoughtASupra;1494477 said:
So IJ, is there any benefit to running the stock injectors on sqeuential injection? I have read that many people are having trouble using the stock igniter with the AEM but how would I wire in a different igniter, suggestions on which on to use?

I really don't want to cut up my new harness so I would have to find some pigtails.

all your answers are contained here concerning the igniter.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100739

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IBoughtASupra;1494477 said:

Up to you, all depends on how sweet you want the tune to be.

You're not going to make more power going sequential it's just going to improve driveability/economy, for me it's well worth the effort but I do a LOT of miles whenever I drive.