Mr.Yuk's Swap/Build

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
lol yup. Next friday is hundo friday.

Right now I'm trying to de-carbon the valves on my intake side, the exhaust side wasn't leaking at all.. so.. we will see what happens. Also at this time, I'm checking valve shim clearances and getting everything squared away. soon it will be bolt up the piddly stuff time.

Whilst STEVE was up, I had him take a look at the oh-so-smoooooooked turbo that I got from Rob, no one believed me on shaft play untill Mr. STEVE decided to have a look. It sounds like STEVE will be bringing me up a good center section and we will be rebuilding my CT-26.

Here's some more pics to tide things over.
This is the Gates hose 18801 in action for use as the coolant hoses for the front AND back of the head, I just cut about a half inch or so off one end and an inch of the numbered end... they fit perfectly!
4676327397_52f9dc74f9_b.jpg

4676327395_1da1802445_b.jpg

Also.. had my flywheel turned a while back.. and then I tossed it in the scrap pile. Notice the heat spots and a crack next to one of the drain holes. Woo!!
Before:
4676327401_751efd4609_b.jpg

After:
4676318821_839c244495_b.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

By the way.. the awesome part about this build? I'm doing this in a Townhouse garage!! Some how I still have room in there for a Supra, an engine on a stand, tools, and a cherry picker! But... not much else. So far we've gotten 4 people in the garage and still been able to move. Not bad for barely a one-stall.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Good center section? I don't know about that, but it should be better than what's sitting in the storage cabinet right now. At least for the thrust play, it should be better.

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
ok.. Better center section.. still much better than what I gots.
I could have it professionally rebuilt ect, but if I'm just going to replace it with a 57 trim this winter... I dunno.
In other news... my wiring harness came!!

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Using some Toyota fuel injector cleaner courtesy of STEVE, I just emptied the contents of the can into a spray bottle and I'm giving the valves a bath in this stuff... Hopefully it will take care of some if not most of the carbon.. enough to let the intake valves seat properly.. I hope.
If not... I'm not sure what I'm going to do, as taking the head off is the last thing I want to do now that the MHG has been torqued down.
Wow.. that stuff should definitely be used in an open area... did it outside and I'm feeling all kinds of :crazy1: LOL

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Alrighty, tonight I went nuts and just put as much stuff together as I could, Sean stopped by and furthered the cause... I know present the photos of the Valve Stem Seal operation which STEVE came up for as well as what was all accomplished tonight.
On a side note, after rocking the Toyota EFI cleaner.. my valves look all kinds of clean... hopefully this will solve any valve leak issues. I hope!

Valve stem seal install:
4698371803_aa2aa73c75_b.jpg

4698371805_44b908f3a7_b.jpg

And here's what I did tonight.. First off installing the oil pan.. There is a new oil pump, shimmed out 3mm.. but like a dummy, I done forgots ta take a picture of that :(
4698371809_25a293c79d_b.jpg

And after installing cam covers with new cam cover gaskets oh.. and timing belt was installed at the same time:
4698371821_beee8ed2cb_b.jpg

Installed Timing covers and.... an assembled 7MGTE!!!! WOO!:
4698371823_db99bc4705_b.jpg

4698371833_c87bb988db_b.jpg

After all of this.. I'm a clutch kit, O2 sensor, some belts, and a long runner FFIM being built by Sean away from running! Not bad :icon_bigg

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Heheheh.. Economically priced Mishimoto??? Read on:

A couple months ago, I got a hold of Mr. STEVE about a Tototo 7M HG (wound up not being able to use due to needing machine work.. see previous posts) which he had for sale, when I went down to see him, it turned out he also had a Mishimoto Radiator for sale. Said Mishimoto had had the typical mount issues when STEVE bought it and Mishimoto sent him a new one and he still had the "ill fitting" Mishi so STEVE sold me the "ill fitting" radiator for a whopping $30!! :naughty: Yes.. STEVE is FTW.

Skip ahead to tonight.. I decided to try to mock up the rad, and see what modification I would have to do to the upper and lower mounts. Well... when doing my "mock up" the lower mounts just popped right in! Snug and good to go! I then took a look at the upper mounts... with a bit of time with a vise, I should be able to get them perfect. I did have a whack at the upper mounts for a bit with a mallet on the floor.. helped a bit, but I'm going to try to get them as close to form fitting as possible.
Mishimoto for $30 install:
4708019942_b0faa1ac26.jpg

4708019946_44cd5ee769.jpg

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Dam, over all fricking AWESOME with the rad. If anything find a alum or steel tubing (thicker wall) with the I.D. the radius of the top mount on the rad, and 1/8" thick flat piece XX inches wide.

Cut the tubing in half and weld together. Bam! custom, that looks good.

If you get the materials I can cut them and welded up for you ;)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Congrats Drew, I knew it could be done! Just make sure you have a rubber insulator on the upper mount- the rad should be electrically insulated from the body.

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
For now I'm gonna rock my not-so-great-looking smashed upper mounts.. but rubber insulation is definitely being thought of!

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
May I suggest getting a small piece of flat steel and just have it welded onto the stock upper mounts and drill a hole where the bolt goes thru. Simple to do and keeps you from needing to destroy the stock ones. You really need a rubber or foam padded insulator for the rad tho. Extending the stockers to where u need them to be is very easy, and simple.

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Very true. Right now it's a kind of see what happens sort of ordeal with the rad mounts. In other news.. took STEVE's decent center section and swapped out turbo bits... Little to no shaft play now! WOO!

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Post up some pics of the old thrust bearing and collar- I wanna see it! (and the main bearings, too!)

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Needs clutch very much.. hopefully in 2 weeks I'll be ready for some engine installing. Also for got to mention, the stock upper rad mounts have already been "modified" with a large hammer.. and don't look too bad, but not smooth... Like I said, once I get everything in, I will polish all the little turds.
Will post worn turbo parts pics tonight:)

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

And hopefully tomorrow will be the beginning of the Long runner FFIM (ahem.. Sean ;))

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Well.. I got visited by the Renter Rebate fairy this morning so... I ordered my clutch kit from work! WOO!
Sachs 7MGE 6 Puck
4772751699_fe84b8b5ca.jpg

And Pics of the old bearings and center section from the CT26. I am fairly worried as like an IDIOT I forgot to index my parts:3d_frown: so Rick (buddy o' mine from way back) and I tried to match up the machined in flat spots as best as possible. HOPEFULLY the turbo shaft isn't too far out of balance and will atleast make it to being parked for winter... or it looks like I'm hitting the junk yard for a CT26.
I am fairly disappointed in me:nono:

Old turbo bits.
4772751693_cfc0b8b9e1.jpg

4772751697_0a17bc1b01.jpg

In other news.. going to begin Wiring harness repair tomorrow night, and I inherited Dan's old Lotek A-pillar pod.

Hopefully beginning install with in the next 2 weeks:naughty: