Mk5 Supra In Road & Track Magazine

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
there isnt gonna be a toyota supra anymore...its gonna be transformed into a lexus....toyota isnt getting anything anymore...its all going to lexus...from what i hear...you should start working at lexus...cause after 2 years of working there..you get $500 car allowance every month...ex: if your payments are $750/mo you would pay $250....seen it first hand too...

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Lexus and Toyota is the same company. There is no such thing as Lexus in Japan. Lexus is a status name Toyota came up with for the US.
The car deal for an employee used to be at cost. But you had to hold on to it for I think 2 years. A coworker's wife worked at Toyota in Torrance and I have a friend who is an engineer for Toyota USA.

A-to-the-J

Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
bluemax said:
Lexus and Toyota is the same company. There is no such thing as Lexus in Japan. Lexus is a status name Toyota came up with for the US.
The car deal for an employee used to be at cost. But you had to hold on to it for I think 2 years. A coworker's wife worked at Toyota in Torrance and I have a friend who is an engineer for Toyota USA.
im talking bout the supra in the states..there will not be a "supra" in the states...its going to be made into a lexus if it does come here...i used to work at toyota of glendale....and my brother in law is the scion manager there and i pretty much know everybody there...so..yea...they lemme know when something goes down

L

lanky189

s0ulstar said:
im talking bout the supra in the states..there will not be a "supra" in the states...its going to be made into a lexus if it does come here...i used to work at toyota of glendale....and my brother in law is the scion manager there and i pretty much know everybody there...so..yea...they lemme know when something goes down
OH NOZ!!!11!! 3V3RBODY W3'V3 GOT AN 1NSID3R!

SuprAng

Garage Queen VV
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, ON
wow i dont agree with anyone here.

Get off the jz bandwagon. A 5.0L NA motor made by toyota that makes that much power in a Supra would be incredible. As much as i love the 7m and not so much the jz's, NA powerband is the way to go. I bet this car will get good gas mileage as well. And no one modifies warrantied cars anyways. This tuner thing has gone too far. No auto manufacturer wants a car that makes peak power at 5.5k rpm, has little off boost power, guzzles gas and is unreliable.

The looks are great, car looks modern and is a progression of the name supra. American manufacturers are just reverting back to their past glories to try and reattract customers. While i may like some of the styling, it went out with the 60's.

CTS's look good IMO. A good example of moving forward with that cars styling.

to hell with the i6's, its about time the supra got some big v8s.
Dont forget, the 2jz was conceptualized in the Soarer. Where there was a v8 option. Why the v8 option didnt make it into the mkiv, I dont know.

Ang

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
SuprAng said:
Dont forget, the 2jz was conceptualized in the Soarer. Where there was a v8 option. Why the v8 option didnt make it into the mkiv, I dont know.

Ang
Let's also not forget that the 1JZ was in the previous generations of both Soarer and Supra - it was probably a simple thing to take a good design and up the displacement in stroke [instead of bore, like they did with the 7M] and add a few bells and whistles.
The MkIV wasn't made to compete with V-8s - it was made to compete with all of the other Japanese 6-cylinder GT cars of that time; 300ZX, 3000GT, Skyline, etc. They wanted to make something in that class, that would outdo the others. There was obviously a reason.

7mSuprapower89

BILIAFTC
Mar 30, 2005
tulsa, ok
wheres the 3jz at? lol. if they call it a supra without an I6 im gonna be pissed.
those bastard car designers. toyota doesn't even have any sports cars anymore. the tc is a pitiful excuse for one if thats what its intention is. the 2gr equipped rav4 will spank the tc's balls off, some one told me it would do a 14.8 with the 5-speed auto. lol come to think about it, most of our family cars are faster than the sports cars, the avalon will lay rubber in second gear and its just a grandma luxury cruiser, and i know for a fact that the all-trac seinna will pull a 6-speed celica gts. lol

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
The only way the Supra is going to compete with the high HP cars of today (including the lower priced American cars) is to go with a V-8. Toyota has no option if they want a high HP model. You can only squeeze so much power out of a turbo 6 cylinder motor, and the emissions are very difficult to pass with a turbo motor. Almost no one's doing it these days. If they go forced induction, it a supercharger.
Toyota could just go and compete with the 350Z and Skyline GT, but they probably figured they didn't want to just share the market. Toyota's been very agressive recently in their marketing and vehicles. They're going real big in the hybrids, they're going after the very profitable and difficult to break into American truck market. Its very unlike Toyota of the past. Especially since sports cars traditionally don't make a lot of sales as with the Camry or profit as do trucks. That's why Toyota dropped the Supra line. It didn't make a lot of money. The only thing sports cars do is make the company name.

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
i think it would be awsome if we could just tell them what we wanted. and not just pick one engin but maybe a few. that way you could just order what you wanted.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
well ang is only half correct, he he

i do agree with you ang on the fact that, if they did what they did with the soarer and had several engine flavours to choose from, it would really make things interesting in this new supra. say they had this V8 and say an updated 2JZGTE (they kept making it and updated it till 2002 in japan) a v6, and perhaps a supercharger option with the v8. engine bay design shouldnt be all that hard, because well you can have a v8 in a mk3, a 1jz in a soarer and even a 1uz in a mark 4 if you like. by having different engines and tranny options they could really hit a much broader market and price range, where more money could be made. if you are a more domestic market type of guy, have a v8 with a drop top of you like. boost addict? try a 2jz VVTI. with options like turbos, superchargers, v8s, i6s; were not so much uprooting the supra mindset, just expanding it. if it worked in soarers in the JDM so well i think its fully doable in a supra here in north america. you could have a cheap base model mk5 with a v6, a super expensive supercharged or n/a v8 version with other things like a power drop top, gps, etc and then a more middle of the road version with a 2jzgte. the biggest problem with just having a v8 is the inability to choose which engine you want. because alot of buyers are going to be people already with a sports car or a supra. toyota is kicking ass in the regular car line up, they need to bring back a sports car/ gt car and one with several engine options and sticker prices can only help sell it. most current supra owners would feel alienated not having a inline 6 turbo option, most possible buyers and some current supra owners/sports car owners would feel lost with out a v8 bottom end torque monster.

when i look at it further, having this many engine options would really help the revival of this sports car. also saying that a inline 6 can only make so much power is a null point, 7m/1jz/2jz have proven to us too many times that they can make just as much power as even the most massaged street v8 and many times, even more.

A-to-the-J

Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
NecroCyde said:
well ang is only half correct, he he

i do agree with you ang on the fact that, if they did what they did with the soarer and had several engine flavours to choose from, it would really make things interesting in this new supra. say they had this V8 and say an updated 2JZGTE (they kept making it and updated it till 2002 in japan) a v6, and perhaps a supercharger option with the v8. engine bay design shouldnt be all that hard, because well you can have a v8 in a mk3, a 1jz in a soarer and even a 1uz in a mark 4 if you like. by having different engines and tranny options they could really hit a much broader market and price range, where more money could be made. if you are a more domestic market type of guy, have a v8 with a drop top of you like. boost addict? try a 2jz VVTI. with options like turbos, superchargers, v8s, i6s; were not so much uprooting the supra mindset, just expanding it. if it worked in soarers in the JDM so well i think its fully doable in a supra here in north america. you could have a cheap base model mk5 with a v6, a super expensive supercharged or n/a v8 version with other things like a power drop top, gps, etc and then a more middle of the road version with a 2jzgte. the biggest problem with just having a v8 is the inability to choose which engine you want. because alot of buyers are going to be people already with a sports car or a supra. toyota is kicking ass in the regular car line up, they need to bring back a sports car/ gt car and one with several engine options and sticker prices can only help sell it. most current supra owners would feel alienated not having a inline 6 turbo option, most possible buyers and some current supra owners/sports car owners would feel lost with out a v8 bottom end torque monster.

when i look at it further, having this many engine options would really help the revival of this sports car. also saying that a inline 6 can only make so much power is a null point, 7m/1jz/2jz have proven to us too many times that they can make just as much power as even the most massaged street v8 and many times, even more.

well said...