Mk5 Supra In Road & Track Magazine

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
as it sits right now the name "supra" has ALLOT of power and history not to mention an intimidation factor to it, people ask what your driving, you say supra, they say.................... oh nevermind.

the supra has always followed some innovative car from nissan, MKIII competed with 300z, mkIV came out specificaly to beat the 300zx TT, now the 350z, kind of a sad excuse for a continuation but nonetheless something to get toyota riled up and competitive again to show off how much greatness they can put into a car. i've liked every gen supra that has ever been made, even the MKI, i just like it and almost bought one, and someday i hope to own a MKIV, every one is awsome in its own way, its about the driving experience sometimes and not so much about tradition.

that car has a horrible grill, looks like an s2000 yes, and its really sad that I6 isnt following, but things change, its a new era and the cars of today are losing the apeal they had in the 80's and 90's. mitsubishi has ditched its famous and awsome 4g63, toyota is dumping its famous I6 supras, but hopefuly they can do good with this.

If they do follow through with this and they do choose to call it a supra, it'll be sad and out of place, but ya never know.

Last edited:

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I hear that because of the great success that Nissan has on the G35 (now the Skyline GT), and the 350Z, that Toyota has to respond with an affortable sports car, hence the new Supra. They were planning to come out with it in 2007, but from the article, it looks like they have moved it back to 2008.

It was rumoured the 6 cylinder was to compete with the 350Z and the V8 was to compete with the Skyline GT-R. It was also rumoured that it could be all-wheel drive to compete with the GT-R. But now since the GT-R price is out and would be in x-NSX/Porche 911/Z06 range, that probably won't be a priority since it doesn't have to directly compete with the GT-R.

But all wheel drive is still not out of the horizon. The IS 2.5L is all wheel drive. How Toyota can do the all wheel drive in the IS's least powerful engine I don't know. Even my friend at Toyota doesn't understand it. Toyota might be keeping the performance of the top end model down because of that silly Japanese unwritten rule about keeping the performance at a certain level. But Toyota does have an all wheel drive set-up.

I was thinking that Toyota would use the IS300 I-6, a 2JZ variant, but read somewhere it would be a V6. But now since the IS now uses a 3.5L V6, I guess that article was right. At least no one's taking about using the 3.6L V6 as the top end engine and the 2.5L as the standard engine. That would be disappointing.

Toyota probably won't be using turbos because its much harder to meet tough emissions standards these days. Hence the V8 version. Unless of course they put a weight requirement on the car, like Honda did on the S-2000 for performance requirements, then the V8 would probably be out and the 3.5L V6 would be the top engine.

My friend at Toyota keeps dening the existance of the Supra. Then of course when I heard that the IS would be going after the BMW M3, he denied it too. Now Toyota has a high HP IS, not quite up to M3 standards but getting there. But then in his defense, Toyota keeps things under raps pretty good. Especially within the company. He tell me that Toyota is only profit driven and is going after the truck/SUV market because the profit is real high. Car manufacturers don't make much money on a car as they do on a truck or SUV. Its been said that Chevy doesn't make anything on the Corvette. Chevy make it because its the Icon vehicle of the company.

Unfortinately my friend at Nissan marketing has been in Japan for several years so I can't get the Nissan opinion. The marketing guys stay on top of all the rumours and events in the industry.

As far as styling, I didn't get a Mk IV because it looked just like me262 said. But you get used to styling after a few decades. I kind of wish I did get a Mk IV now because of the performance of the lighter car. But the styling was bad and the cost was too high for me at the time.

I think I would seriously consider getting a new Supra. Especially if the performance is there. Heck, I'm still tring to figure out how I can get the $70K GT-R that's coming out.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
v8s? all-wheel drive? convertibles? aston martin fronts? s2000 rears?

why are they bastardizing the supra?

how about a 3.5 liter twin turbo inline 6 with an 8k redline? why not pay homage to the past two highly succcesful generations while still advancing? v8 sounds older and more atiquted then a twin turbo engine showing up in a crowd of n/as..... the supra has been a GT car, throwing in a v8 and AWD just sounds like its meant only for stop lights, if i bought one, you could be damned sure a built 2jz with a single would be going in, very quickly. if i wanted a toyota v8 id buy a tundra, lol

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
1. It's ugly.

2. The engineering is compromised. The fact that it started life as a convertible means that it's going to be heavy and flexy, even in a hardtop version.

3. It's way too expensive. There are a lot of cars I would rather buy if I had $50,000 to spend... Corvette, Shelby Mustang, Lotus Elise/Exige, Infiniti G35 Coupe... all have far more soul than that car ever will.

4. As has been stated already, it just ain't a Supra.

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
i personally agree it should be an i6. there isnt really any good reason to abandon the tried and true supra platform. most generation mk3's share common technology (noly slightly more advanced in later gens) this thing seems to be its own car with a name applied to it

N

NDBoost

What about it replacing the s2000, werent they discontinuing the s2000 anyways?

I actually kind of like the look, i agree it doesnt follow the flow and ub3r cool style of the supra but its still kind of nice. Hell if i made a bit more id buy one :)

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If this turns out the be the new Supra, I won't be upset at all.

You won't be swapping an I6 engine into this chassis anytime soon though - the engine bay will be designed for a V style engine, meaning it's going to be wide and SHORT.

Looks like they started with the Lexus SC and got rid of all the fugly bits. Can't complain about that.

L

lanky189

not like i'll be able to afford it, so really my opinnion doesn't matter

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
I am so conflicted!!!! You all are right it is not a supra not even close. Let us think heritage 2000gt. All four marks had one thing in common I6. Mk4 supra cheeper yes!!! What about MK3 do our cars become worthless. I think we finally are seeing an incline in what we can get for our cars. Look at the mk2 you can buy those for $500 and a case of schlitz(no offence I used to own one and loved it). And come on 5.0!!! Whats next mk5 guys calling their cars five ohs!!
On the other hand a new toyota sports car sounds great. I am such a trd fan and we need some racing development. I guess my thought is this, Nissan called their new car a 350z and not a 300 which left some value and collectability in the old z's. I welcome the new car under any name other than Supra.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
da89soup said:
I am so conflicted!!!! You all are right it is not a supra not even close. Let us think heritage 2000gt. All four marks had one thing in common I6. Mk4 supra cheeper yes!!! What about MK3 do our cars become worthless. I think we finally are seeing an incline in what we can get for our cars. Look at the mk2 you can buy those for $500 and a case of schlitz(no offence I used to own one and loved it). And come on 5.0!!! Whats next mk5 guys calling their cars five ohs!!
On the other hand a new toyota sports car sounds great. I am such a trd fan and we need some racing development. I guess my thought is this, Nissan called their new car a 350z and not a 300 which left some value and collectability in the old z's. I welcome the new car under any name other than Supra.

All the Z's were named based on engine size.

240Z was 2.4L
260Z was 2.6L
280Z was 2.8L
280ZX was 2.8L
300ZX was 3.0L
350Z was 3.5L

If the Z33 had a 3.0L I have no doubt they would have called it a 300Z.

I welcome the car under whatever name they call it, be it Supra, or something else, I just think it's very unlikely they call it a Supra. Toyota killed the brand name. They've never brought one back before, they use a name until it is no longer marketable, then it dies.

The Supra name is dead to Toyota, I think anyways ;). Just a theory.