Mk5 Supra In Road & Track Magazine

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
Jeff Lange said:
All the Z's were named based on engine size.

240Z was 2.4L
260Z was 2.6L
280Z was 2.8L
280ZX was 2.8L
300ZX was 3.0L
350Z was 3.5L

If the Z33 had a 3.0L I have no doubt they would have called it a 300Z.

I welcome the car under whatever name they call it, be it Supra, or something else, I just think it's very unlikely they call it a Supra. Toyota killed the brand name. They've never brought one back before, they use a name until it is no longer marketable, then it dies.

The Supra name is dead to Toyota, I think anyways ;). Just a theory.

I did not know that about the z's When I read your post I was like Da I should have figured that out!!!
Thanks Jeff

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I hope it is a Supra, I just want the name to live on. Also its just cool rolling up to a newer model of your car and blowing its doors off. Of course if its a 500hp v8 we better get some more HP!( although by then I dont think Ill have a problem ).

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
There are a few things to look at:
Toyota couldn't just throw a 2JZ in this new car and "call it good". I think that with the new emissions/fuel economy goals of most automakers, Toyota is done with the "G" designation in their engines as well.
With a new sports car, there has to be something new and intuitive. The Supra name already attracts people. Refreshing the legend is what they might be trying to do now. I think that after the 5M->7M disaster [talk about "if it's not broke, fix it 'til it is"], Toyota didn't want to just redesign the 2JZ and call it good - they wanted to make something brand new for their infamous Supra.
I'd still love to see a 3JZ or a 4UZ-GTTE.

I hope this drives the price of MkIVs, 2JZ-GTEs and V160's WAY down. ;)

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
I'm tired of these jellybean cars coming out now too. I hate to say it but the AMERICAN automakers have the right idea... most of their new sports cars seems to be lean long cars, not fucking jellybeans.... the new mustang, the new camaro... i mean they're not pretty... but at least they're not jellybeans, they have a nice long sleek hood with hard lines.

I love the entire cadillac lineup because of the long hard lines, especially the XLR convertible.... mind you its more of an old-pops sports car, but the styling has the same sort of lines as the mk3 supra... i guess if they want to evolve the supra from the mk4 to mk5 it should be a jellybean but i just wish they didn't go that route.

I'd also prefer an I6, but anything I can throw a big turbo on that will be over-engineered for lots of power will make me happy.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
SupraOfDoom said:
yep.... I like the new american cars more then the new japanese cars... so jellybean looking. Have you guys seen the new Challenger? Looks sick!

My heart stopped when i saw a picture of it. I have it set as the background on my phone.
spy-head-on.jpg

front-quarter.jpg

rear-quarter.jpg

interior.jpg

cars.jpg

engine.jpg

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
what the hell is up with the headlights? the new horrible Type R has the same thing going on...ew.

L

lanky189

CryoSlash said:
thats what the tuner guys will do :evil2:
unless the powerplant they choose is just as responsive to mods as the 2jz was.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
1) With all the "jellybean" comments, I'm reminded of the jerk mkiv owners who like to diss the mk3 calling it all kinds of names.
2) Nobody knows if this is the new Supra. Looks more to me like something to fit in the Lexus line. Maybe even the SC430 replacement, which is a convertible, so that makes more sense.
3) The only way it's going to devaluate the tuner super friendly mkiv (which seems to make some people very happy) is if a) the new car is a powerhouse like the mkiv or better b) it costs $40K or less.
Let's say item 3 is true (unlikely), that would make the mk3 prices drop as well, with people spending their cash on the newly cheaper mkiv.
My $ 0.02.

L

lanky189

the price of the mkiv is not gonna drop, they will continue to be sought after until people are tired of tuning them.

If anything I can see this raising the value of the mkiv.