Metal Heads Unite!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Uh, I'm pretty much stuck in the 70's and 80's. Metal died in the early 90's and but has since been resurrected. I'm trying to broaden my horizons and am enjoying some newer stuff. Rock on my brothers..and sisters! :drink1:

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
OO! Perfect, if you all like metal, you should definitely check out my best friend's band, they are pretty heavy, a bit heavy for my tastes but they're amazing musicians. I especially like the bottom left video because I'm not a huge fan of screaming (see I'm being honest). Great stuff though. I've shared their music on here before but they've done a lot and sound even better now.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Aenimus
Bandcamp: http://aenimus.bandcamp.com/

Have a listen, let me know what you think:

[video=youtube_share;0wf1dFxv6dw]http://youtu.be/0wf1dFxv6dw[/video] [video=youtube_share;gH4WWdu1t2E]http://youtu.be/gH4WWdu1t2E[/video]
[video=youtube_share;0buyJTSUjtI]http://youtu.be/0buyJTSUjtI[/video][video=youtube_share;LPzkSak5OKE]http://youtu.be/LPzkSak5OKE[/video]

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
gtsfirefighter;1883690 said:
Uh, I'm pretty much stuck in the 70's and 80's. Metal died in the early 90's and but has since been resurrected. I'm trying to broaden my horizons and am enjoying some newer stuff. Rock on my brothers..and sisters! :drink1:
You mean when the guys in Metallica cut their hair? :p

Has anyone mentioned Machinehead yeat? Probably one of my favorites from the 90's. I'm starting to realize that you're right though... Metal as a well-exposed genre really did kinda die off in the 90's. I mean, the old bands were still around, but few (if any) of them got better through the 90's. There is always the underground though, which is where I suspect a lot of the bands we know and love today were back 10-20 years ago. :)

Figit090;1884682 said:
OO! Perfect, if you all like metal, you should definitely check out my best friend's band, they are pretty heavy, a bit heavy for my tastes but they're amazing musicians. I especially like the bottom left video because I'm not a huge fan of screaming (see I'm being honest). Great stuff though. I've shared their music on here before but they've done a lot and sound even better now.
Not too bad, but usually when I hear music like this, I don't think of guys who look like they're holding down a job, and barely old enough to buy their own beer. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
savannahashlee;1887611 said:
Got myself a GWAR concert on the 9th :) kinda excited
They're playing with Devidriver tonight in the Denver area I believe. Not sure if that is the lineup for all their shows though. Could care less about GWAR (no offense, just never been a fan of their music much), but their theatrics are pretty awesome. Kinda like 80's slasher film effects...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
If we're going to accept broad definitions, Rammstein has some very musically interesting stuff starting with Mutter. Language aside, they've done some fantastic albums from 2000-present. If you're into that sort of thing, which I am.

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jeff, you hit a nail on a head, Rammstein put out some great stuff over the years. I still want to see them live, hear nothing but good things...

Anyone remember Corrosion of Conformity?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I would have gone to see them last time they were in Edmonton, but I found out the DAY of that it was happening. I need to keep a more watchful eye on stuff like that apparently.

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jeff Lange;1892662 said:
I would have gone to see them last time they were in Edmonton, but I found out the DAY of that it was happening. I need to keep a more watchful eye on stuff like that apparently.

Jeff
Wait until you get a bit older, you start missing things you would have dropped everything for all the time. Then again, to go to a good concert for me, involves a good 4-8 hours of driving to SLC or Denver. :(

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
How is there a thread about metal heads and only a passing mention of Iron Maiden?
Other notables for me are Helloween, Dragonforce, Nightwish, Skiltron, Volbeat, Breaking Point, Avantasia, Kamelot, Etc....
I could go on for a minute. I wish I could get past the "mic down the throat" stuff. There are some really good bands out there. Sadly as soon as I hear the 'singer' do this, I lose interest.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Kckazdude;1892715 said:
How is there a thread about metal heads and only a passing mention of Iron Maiden?
I mentioned them a couple times. I bought their greatest hits album as a JOKE, thinking they were going to be a cheesy 80's band. Oh how gloriously wrong I was...

Kckazdude;1892715 said:
I could go on for a minute. I wish I could get past the "mic down the throat" stuff. There are some really good bands out there. Sadly as soon as I hear the 'singer' do this, I lose interest.
Same here my friend, same here... it's almost as bad as all the punk bands over the years that were just genuinely terrible musicians, yet people thought they were cool, simply because it was punk music.

Shitty musicians are still shitty musicians, genre does nothing to lessen that fact. :nono:

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
te72;1885004 said:
You mean when the guys in Metallica cut their hair? :p

Not too bad, but usually when I hear music like this, I don't think of guys who look like they're holding down a job, and barely old enough to buy their own beer. :p

Haha, one of the members of the band is a little young but they all work very hard, and my best bud works his ass off every week at a full-time job. However I do see that in the fanbase at some of the shows I've gone too...which is too bad, but I haven't gone to a show down near the bay area, just up further north where incomes are lower and things are probably a bit different. I have no idea the fan base they have near San Fransisco...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I'm gonna get shot for posting this but:

[video=youtube;kspPE9E1yGM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kspPE9E1yGM[/video]

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
p1893222_1.gif

That was the most difficult 3:35 I believe I have ever watched. The disco Slipnot was just too much for me, thus your fate.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dammit Mario, you crapped on my Mayhem Festival 2012 thread with that same video... :p

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
I found that growing up I was never really all that "into" metal, but as I grew older and rock and roll started to take a giant shit I found myself leaning towards the heavier sound of metal, rather than giving into the teeny boppin emo rock or "alt rock" No disrespect of course.

Slipknot, best live show Ive ever seen. It was a life changing experience. Theres just something about how they go about making music, its soothing to the angry side of me. I like stone sour a lot also and how they bring a heavier sound to mainstream rock music

Tool, I fucking love tool. Lateralus was the song that actually got me looking into metal in the first place. Great music and thought provoking lyrics. They opened a lot of door for me and I actually learned a lot about myself with what I discovered. In all honesty, before I heard Tool I thought I was a little insane but after talking with other tool fans, and metal heads a like I realized that we cant all be crazy, right? haha

Machine Head. They are who I am listening to most lately. When it comes to new music, these guys are killing it. I dont think its fair to put them against Lamb of God but those two are the only real bands making music these days. In my eyes of course.

I really like Iron Maiden. What a show that was. So cool, they are such entertainers and I mean whats not to like?! haha

I actually heard Slash interviewed last week and even he will tell you "the metal guys are the only ones who arent full of shit making music in the industry these days" I could probably go on and on all night about metal that I like, but one thing I really recommend for anyone reading this is a documentry called "Metal: A headbangers Journey" If you havent seen it already. Its done by an anthropologist Sam Dunn and hes actually almost local to me. But it is a very, very well written and exicuted film and I think it might be on netflix. He also did a follow up called Global Metal and has done two features one is called "Flight 666" and he goes on tour with Iron Maiden and the other is a special on Rush called "Beyond the lighted stage" Oh and if you want to see a great Ronnie James Dio interview, Sam Dunn was invited to Ronnies house for a follow up (headbangers journey)

Its worth mentioning that I am also a huge fan of hip hop too. Crazy combo but, it is what it is.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
Also where is Mattsplat at?? If youve ever met him, you know a metal head. He got me a poster from a mastadon concert that he went to that now hangs in front of my supra in the garage.