Metal Heads Unite!

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
This is for all you metal heads that play music that make the people next to you in traffic think you have livestock in the car or just killed someone. What bands get your blood boiling and head banging?
Personal favorites of mine: Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red, As Blood Runs Black, As I Lay Dying, Unearth, Killswitch, In Flames, Amon Amarth, I could go on and on but I'll stop there. Readyyyyyyyyy BREAKDOWN!

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
nyktalgia, aaskereia,breath of sorrows,carpathian forest,death spell omega,enthroned,fogotten woods, funeral elegy,judas iscariot,satanic warmaster, silencer ect .

glad to see im not the only supra owner that listens to some good music, jk!

lets keep this thread going guys!

i remember when i went to arkansas and people looked at me like if they saw the devil. lol

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I'm older than most around here, so I've known several different versions of what is "Metal". I have progressed from Kiss in my youth to a time when Van Halen was "metal", and I have stayed a metal head to this day progressing with the music as it gets harder and harder. I'm not a huge fan of today's "metal", where the microphone is used inside the mouth, but I like some of it. My current favorite is Five Finger Death Punch. They have a mix of the music I like, some singing, and some barking (I call it"). I like that, but a constant wondering what a band is singing is not for me. So FFDP, Avenged, Disturbed, Tool for me.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
In flames, bullet for my valentine, five finger, gojira, many others.

My neighbors must think I'm a little off hearing gojira back to back with third eye blind coming from the garage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Slayr504;1878517 said:
This is for all you metal heads that play music that make the people next to you in traffic think you have livestock in the car or just killed someone. What bands get your blood boiling and head banging?
Personal favorites of mine: Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red, As Blood Runs Black, As I Lay Dying, Unearth, Killswitch, In Flames, Amon Amarth, I could go on and on but I'll stop there. Readyyyyyyyyy BREAKDOWN!
No offense whatsoever, but I take it you're under 25, huh? You probably would have liked the side stage at this year's Mayhem Festival, a few of those bands were there. Not really my thing, but I can appreciate a song here and there. :)

flight doc89;1878596 said:
Whitesnake, Great White, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Savatage, Manowar. "Hail and Kill" is a personal favorite of mine; it can draw some strange looks in traffic when you have the volume up :)
High five from another who remembers when how metal you were was directly proportional to how much coke you had that day. They didn't call it "speed" metal for nothing. :rofl:

ForcedTorque;1878612 said:
I'm older than most around here, so I've known several different versions of what is "Metal". I have progressed from Kiss in my youth to a time when Van Halen was "metal", and I have stayed a metal head to this day progressing with the music as it gets harder and harder. I'm not a huge fan of today's "metal", where the microphone is used inside the mouth, but I like some of it. My current favorite is Five Finger Death Punch. They have a mix of the music I like, some singing, and some barking (I call it"). I like that, but a constant wondering what a band is singing is not for me. So FFDP, Avenged, Disturbed, Tool for me.
You might have a few years on me, but I imagine our tastes are fairly similar. I put in bold from your post, what I find to be my biggest gripe with modern metal. I'm sorry, but all it takes to ruin a great band is a shitty singer. If I can't distinguish the sound of your voice (or whatever you're trying to pass off as a voice anyway) from every other band out there that thinks they're harder than everybody else, well... I'm gonna have to pass on you until you can do something unique.

suprarx7nut;1878621 said:
In flames, bullet for my valentine, five finger, gojira, many others.

My neighbors must think I'm a little off hearing gojira back to back with third eye blind coming from the garage.
Dude, I can only imagine what people think of my collection. It was gathered from about a dozen different friends, plus my own personal tastes, and all thrown onto a hard drive. Probably upwards of 200gb, 5 or 6 different languages, ranging from peaceful, classical stuff, to "I'm eating your babies, right now" metal. Lot of fun just putting the computer on random and seeing what pops up. :p

As for me... I like a pretty wide variety. Not the biggest fan of "pop" music, whether that be "pop" rock, "pop" pop, "pop" country, "pop" rap, "pop" metal, you get the point. Don't mistake me for some hipster douchebag though, just because something is popular doesn't make it bad. It is probably popular because it is good. However, there's just a certain "feel" to processed music that I have never cared for.

Band I've been most impressed with lately? Hmm... been out of the loop for a while, but All That Remains seems to get better with each new album they put out, and they started out way back when pretty damned good too!

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
MEGADETH! :D, Godsmack, Allegeon, Judas Priest, MushroomHead, Anthrax to name a few.

I love Greed from Godsmack, Deadly nightshade is fun from Mega and recently the song Judas Priest from Anthrax off their newest album is epic, powerful to the point metal with a political message if interpreted that way.

Some the newer metal bands that have epic instrumentals but washed out metal barking i wish very much to enjoy, i just cant understand a fucking word they are saying. I used to fucking hate Bullet for my Valentine, but that Fever song is groovy shit.

Its funny how Priest is so mellow by today's standards, hearing such blasphemous talk from nooblets saying they are not metal, they are the founding fathers pretty much. Halford said it was them and Sabbath back in the day, with Maiden in there too.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
[video=youtube;_Gv7fo6mefo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gv7fo6mefo[/video]

skip to 2:25 for the heavy part
[video=youtube;gY3KHxZp5ao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY3KHxZp5ao&feature=BFa&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CynbAdJ0XiIIR1zrjnrLw_[/video]

I hadnt heard of these guys until i saw them play with In Flames in Denver. Excellent band live. Dare I say even better than In Flames...

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
te72;1878700 said:
No offense whatsoever, but I take it you're under 25, huh? You probably would have liked the side stage at this year's Mayhem Festival, a few of those bands were there. Not really my thing, but I can appreciate a song here and there. :)
Yea, I'm actually 24 haha. You're right though, I should have rephrased as "Hardcore/grindcore/thrash,etc" because that's really what I was aiming for. It's just easier to say metal to incorporate all of it because there has been so many sub-genres that have developed. But I'm not opposed to old metal, well old to me anyway. I love Zeppelin, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, Yes, The Who, The Doors, Edgar Winter, BOC, CCR, BTO, ELO, etc. My dad is a huge classic rock fan and pretty much force fed it to me from a young age so I grew up with all that. I seriously doubt that any band will ever be able to top the rock of the 60s,70s, and 80s. Very few bands will be able to stand the test of time in the same way Zeppelin and the like have. Long live rock'n roll!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
There are a lot of things about Zepplin that will never be matched! Best Band EVER!!!!

I don't have a clue how I left Bullet for my Valentine off of my list. One of my current favorites.

And, while we are going back a few years......Ted Nugent!

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
ForcedTorque;1879119 said:
There are a lot of things about Zepplin that will never be matched! Best Band EVER!!!!

I don't have a clue how I left Bullet for my Valentine off of my list. One of my current favorites.

And, while we are going back a few years......Ted Nugent!

F*CK YEA! Nugent is the MAN. I know it's probably over played but "Stranglehold" has always and will always be one of my all-time favorite songs. Plus Nugent really just doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks about him or what he does. I really respect that about him, even if he is a little crazy sometimes haha

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Slayr504;1878921 said:
Yea, I'm actually 24 haha. You're right though, I should have rephrased as "Hardcore/grindcore/thrash,etc" because that's really what I was aiming for. It's just easier to say metal to incorporate all of it because there has been so many sub-genres that have developed. But I'm not opposed to old metal, well old to me anyway. I love Zeppelin, Van Halen, Pink Floyd, Yes, The Who, The Doors, Edgar Winter, BOC, CCR, BTO, ELO, etc. My dad is a huge classic rock fan and pretty much force fed it to me from a young age so I grew up with all that.
No worries man, hard rock/metal is a vast genre. I'm in the same boat, just a few years older. Not sure why, but it surprised my mom when I started listening to Aerosmith. Then she gave me some old Black Sabbath tapes she had, and well... it all kinda went downhill from there.

Speaking of classic metal, anyone heard anything from the tribute to Machinehead, Deep Purple's album, covered by others?

For that reason alone, I am VERY grateful that my folks moved us down to Phoenix in the mid 90's. MUCH better exposure to music down there than I would have ever had here. :)

Slayr504;1878921 said:
I seriously doubt that any band will ever be able to top the rock of the 60s,70s, and 80s. Very few bands will be able to stand the test of time in the same way Zeppelin and the like have. Long live rock'n roll!
This is a VERY valid point. Even some of my favorite bands from the 90's/00's, as good as they are, I do wonder how they will fare 20 years from now, when I'm well into my 40's. Quick, what was the best metal band you can think of from the 90's? I'm waiting... still waiting. Nothing comes to mind? Me either, most of the great 90's metal albums were from bands formed in the 80's. Machinehead though, their Burning Red album was pretty good I guess. Anyone else think of others?

Anyway, relevant to this:
classic.png

Slayr504;1879202 said:
F*CK YEA! Nugent is the MAN. I know it's probably over played but "Stranglehold" has always and will always be one of my all-time favorite songs. Plus Nugent really just doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks about him or what he does. I really respect that about him, even if he is a little crazy sometimes haha
His music was never really my favorite, but I can appreciate the batshit crazy air about the guy. :)

Best three bands I've seen live though, in order of when I saw them: Pantera, Iron Maiden, Slipknot.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
te72;1880299 said:
No worries man, hard rock/metal is a vast genre. I'm in the same boat, just a few years older. Not sure why, but it surprised my mom when I started listening to Aerosmith. Then she gave me some old Black Sabbath tapes she had, and well... it all kinda went downhill from there.

Speaking of classic metal, anyone heard anything from the tribute to Machinehead, Deep Purple's album, covered by others?

For that reason alone, I am VERY grateful that my folks moved us down to Phoenix in the mid 90's. MUCH better exposure to music down there than I would have ever had here. :)

This is a VERY valid point. Even some of my favorite bands from the 90's/00's, as good as they are, I do wonder how they will fare 20 years from now, when I'm well into my 40's. Quick, what was the best metal band you can think of from the 90's? I'm waiting... still waiting. Nothing comes to mind? Me either, most of the great 90's metal albums were from bands formed in the 80's. Machinehead though, their Burning Red album was pretty good I guess. Anyone else think of others?

Anyway, relevant to this:
classic.png

His music was never really my favorite, but I can appreciate the batshit crazy air about the guy. :)

Best three bands I've seen live though, in order of when I saw them: Pantera, Iron Maiden, Slipknot.

I think you need to check out Godsmack's Pink Floyd remakes. They're pretty damn incredible.
Oh, but best "metal" band from the 90s, if you consider them "metal", Tool. I <3 Tool and all their innovation. I don't agree with a lot of their beliefs about New Age philosophy and crap, but they're music is bad ass.
Best live concerts I've seen, probably As I Lay Dying, Lamb of God, Unearth, and NIN (NIN was at VooDoo a few years back and while I don't care for a lot of their music, it was one of the BEST live performances I've witnessed.) Oh, and Randy from the band Zebra did a Led Zeppelin tribute with the New Orleans Philharmonic Orchestra that was SICKKKK

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Godsmack is also another really good live band, saw them at Ozzfest 2000, shortly before their second album was released. Back then it really meant something to hear NEW music. :) I am aware of their cover of PF's "Time", but what other covers did they do of PF?

Tool... hadn't really thought about them as being a metal band. I suppose so, in the same sense that Dream Theater is a metal band. Both are extremely talented musically, and both are progressive in their music, as well as having love em/hate em fans it seems. Good comeback with Tool! I really dig Fear Factory too... and I guess technically Slipknot is a 90's band, although I question how their lasting appeal will play out on that subject. Are people still going to be huge Slipknot fans in 20 years? Hmmm... I know I will be. ;)

Never got a chance to see NIN, but I hear good things. Since we're kinda getting a little branched out in music styles, anyone else a fan of Rush? Another GREAT band to see live. Plus, they're kinda metal too. Three guys that have been making their music how they wanted for 40+ years, one of them sings like a girl half the time, and if you don't like them, Neil will literally drum your face off, precisely hitting every pressure point above the shoulders while he's at it. :p

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
te72;1880754 said:
Godsmack is also another really good live band, saw them at Ozzfest 2000, shortly before their second album was released. Back then it really meant something to hear NEW music. :) I am aware of their cover of PF's "Time", but what other covers did they do of PF?

Tool... hadn't really thought about them as being a metal band. I suppose so, in the same sense that Dream Theater is a metal band. Both are extremely talented musically, and both are progressive in their music, as well as having love em/hate em fans it seems. Good comeback with Tool! I really dig Fear Factory too... and I guess technically Slipknot is a 90's band, although I question how their lasting appeal will play out on that subject. Are people still going to be huge Slipknot fans in 20 years? Hmmm... I know I will be. ;)

Never got a chance to see NIN, but I hear good things. Since we're kinda getting a little branched out in music styles, anyone else a fan of Rush? Another GREAT band to see live. Plus, they're kinda metal too. Three guys that have been making their music how they wanted for 40+ years, one of them sings like a girl half the time, and if you don't like them, Neil will literally drum your face off, precisely hitting every pressure point above the shoulders while he's at it. :p

Godsmack....Love them! First time I saw them, they were good. Second time I saw them was simply amazing. The drum battle live blew my mind. Before I saw it, I was unaware of it, but later heard it was all over youtube. It was probably in the top 2-3 shows I've seen......which says a lot. I've seen some really cool shows over time, including Kiss without make up, Journey with make up, Carlos Santana playing the bass, and just about everybody playing music during the 80's. A few of my favorite shows of all time are #1 Sevindust - I can't explain it, their music was great as expected, but better live, and their stage performance was unmatched. It was like a circus under strobe lights while they totally kicked ass. #2-5 in no particular order - Godsmack with the drum battle - Van Halen with DLR was the best at all four positions I had seen at that point - Motley Crue surpassed all four in the same fashion - The first time I saw Collective Soul. Saw them as an opening act and was ready for lame radio music. I've seen them 5 times now, and they really know how to rock.

Tool - Great band! I'd call them metal. I have never seen them though. Danny Kerry is the shit. Dream Theatre was a really gret band with a terrible singer problem, so I never listened that much.

Slipknot - Never seen. I like some of their music, but I'd rather hear Stonesour.

Rush - Yes, they are very talented, and Pert is the best drummer of his era. But, I always thought of them as very similar to Dream Theatre, and i'd rather listen to DT anyday. They even had a better drummer than Rush.

NIN - I wouldn't call him metal. I like sex too, but I don't sing about it to draw the masses.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ForcedTorque;1880862 said:
#1 Sevindust - I can't explain it, their music was great as expected, but better live, and their stage performance was unmatched. It was like a circus under strobe lights while they totally kicked ass.
Have seen them at least 4 times, probably 5 though. I really wish I knew what I did with my old concert ticket stubs... Would see them again for sure.

The first time I saw Collective Soul. Saw them as an opening act and was ready for lame radio music. I've seen them 5 times now, and they really know how to rock.
They played a few years back at our local annual "fesival" (read: beer drinking event :nono: ), but unlike all the country bands that play, they made the two rock bands (the other being Trapt) turn the volume WAY down, you couldn't hear them much unless you were at the venue itself. The country on the other hand, you're subjected to it whether or not you want to hear it...

Hear good things, and I've been a fan of theirs since the 90's.

Tool - Great band! I'd call them metal. I have never seen them though. Danny Kerry is the shit. Dream Theatre was a really gret band with a terrible singer problem, so I never listened that much.
You know, the singer thing seems to be the biggest complaint I hear about DT and Rush. I can tolerate it (prefer Geddy's singing myself), but a lot of people who would otherwise love the band, can't. They (Dream Theater) had an album of strictly instrumental stuff called Liquid Tension Experiment, I recommend it.

Rush - Yes, they are very talented, and Pert is the best drummer of his era. But, I always thought of them as very similar to Dream Theatre, and i'd rather listen to DT anyday. They even had a better drummer than Rush.
I really wish I could hear Peart play some serious metal, just to see how bored he would be. :p Seriously though, skill wise, I've seen a few that come close (Jordison from Slipknot?) that come very close to Peart's level, but I still don't think I've heard anyone so versatile. Plus, he wrote most of their songs too.

Another great band live, 10 Years. Not many bands can actually play as good as they sound on an album, they are one of the bands that pull it off. :)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just realized another 90's metal band I really like. Type-O Negative. Such a dark sense of humor to that band, I have been a fan since high school.