MAP ECU 2 Is it right for my setup goals???

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
freshly rebuilt 7mgte, shot peened rods, new head, MHG, ARP sutds, 550cc, aeromotive FPR, uprgraded ct, 3" turbo back exhaust, stock IC and pipes... for now. Looking to max out the turbo, shooting for 400rwp or as much as I can squeeze out of the upgraded ct.

I am interested in the MAP ECU2 for fuel control, boost control, launch control, and the two map settings controlled by a switch.... What I am nervous about is how stable this setup would be, weather changes etc. The car will be tuned by experts and will be daily driven.

I understand I would still be tricking the ecu but I feel like a full standalone is a bit much for my goals and mods. its either map ecu2 or maft pro I guess, but i like all the built in features of the map ecu2.

Anyone using the map ecu2 on their 7m.... pros, cons, and advice appreciated!

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Timing control is an issue (see the mapecu website and attached forum for the discussion).

I have the mapecu2 on my car... Saw 300hp with a VERY basic (incomplete) tune with a stock CT26, 12psi, 550s, etc etc.

I am currently thinking about whether or not it will be ideal to keep as I have a T04Z going on in the near future.

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
I recently put 1 on my buddy's 93 MR2 with a 60-1, 550cc's, etc. Works fantastic.

Haven't done 1 on a 7m yet but will this summer for a client. Supposedly according to a recent post on this site they have a new module that can be retrofitted and will control the rev's.

I do recommend using an aftermarket boost controller instead of the Map ECU2 unit. I have found that the Greddy, HKS, AEM and Blitz have better quality solenoids. Also make sure you get the 30psi map sensor option. When the MapEcu2 is tuned it will reference the airfuel maps in accordance to boost and will totally level out. You don't need it to control your boost. All in all it's a great unit and I highly recommend it. Tech support is great and they are all very excited to help.

kazeyuki

Dec 25, 2007
Hawaii
I'm using the first map-ecu.. making 380hp/390torque @ 14psi on a suprasport boss 57trim turbo, 750cc, upgraded fuel... blah blah i daily drive my car. it works perfect.

racerpage

Supra Drifter
Jun 15, 2007
Baltimore,Md
7thousandpiecesMGTE;1308183 said:
freshly rebuilt 7mgte, shot peened rods, new head, MHG, ARP sutds, 550cc, aeromotive FPR, uprgraded ct, 3" turbo back exhaust, stock IC and pipes... for now. Looking to max out the turbo, shooting for 400rwp or as much as I can squeeze out of the upgraded ct.

I am interested in the MAP ECU2 for fuel control, boost control, launch control, and the two map settings controlled by a switch.... What I am nervous about is how stable this setup would be, weather changes etc. The car will be tuned by experts and will be daily driven.

I understand I would still be tricking the ecu but I feel like a full standalone is a bit much for my goals and mods. its either map ecu2 or maft pro I guess, but i like all the built in features of the map ecu2.

Anyone using the map ecu2 on their 7m.... pros, cons, and advice appreciated!

Andrew....bought a map ecu unit for my white car. When I install it I would like for you to check it out. Very easy to tune, compared to maft pro, but I like both.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
Timing control is an issue (see the mapecu website and attached forum for the discussion).

I have the mapecu2 on my car... Saw 300hp with a VERY basic (incomplete) tune with a stock CT26, 12psi, 550s, etc etc.

I am currently thinking about whether or not it will be ideal to keep as I have a T04Z going on in the near future.

can't find the thread you refer to... I know the first mapecu didnt allow timing adjustment but i thought mapecu2 does, but are you saying there are issues with the timing adjustment feature?

T04Z:love: nice upgrade from the stock ct!

I recently put 1 on my buddy's 93 MR2 with a 60-1, 550cc's, etc. Works fantastic.

Haven't done 1 on a 7m yet but will this summer for a client. Supposedly according to a recent post on this site they have a new module that can be retrofitted and will control the rev's.

I do recommend using an aftermarket boost controller instead of the Map ECU2 unit. I have found that the Greddy, HKS, AEM and Blitz have better quality solenoids. Also make sure you get the 30psi map sensor option. When the MapEcu2 is tuned it will reference the airfuel maps in accordance to boost and will totally level out. You don't need it to control your boost. All in all it's a great unit and I highly recommend it. Tech support is great and they are all very excited to help.

Yeah I was thinking of using an aftermarket boost controller, but haven't decided just yet.

I'm using the first map-ecu.. making 380hp/390torque @ 14psi on a suprasport boss 57trim turbo, 750cc, upgraded fuel... blah blah i daily drive my car. it works perfect.

sounds promising...

Andrew....bought a map ecu unit for my white car. When I install it I would like for you to check it out. Very easy to tune, compared to maft pro, but I like both.

Hey Rob, that sounds good to me. I am interested to see what the white one will be able to produce. Max gave me an update on the RB swap in the 240.... sorry to hear about that, I think it might have been sitting to close to my supra and the gremlins that live therein found a new home:sarcasm: hopefully the little bastards are gone for good though now.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
LilMissMkIII;1313671 said:

Thanks Lilmiss, I actually had stumbled across that thread last week but there was limited feedback on that one. They seem confident that the mapecu2 works just fine now for the 7M (with the adapter/resistor & transistor) but I just wanted to see if there anyone here on SM with map ecu2 + 7m combo and get a little more feedback.

Have you yourself had any issues controlling timing or had any erratic problems with weather changes? Just curious.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
the day the car was tuned with the mapecu2, the mechanics blew the hg on my car, so unfortunately I haven't had any chance to drive it :(

One huge issue though was that there was detonation on "kick-down" from high speeds...

Not sure if the mechanic fucked up or what, as it appeared timing was jumping 15*.

Once I get the T04 on, will have another go with the mapecu2 and see how she behaves and will let you know.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
LilMissMkIII;1313787 said:
the day the car was tuned with the mapecu2, the mechanics blew the hg on my car, so unfortunately I haven't had any chance to drive it :(

One huge issue though was that there was detonation on "kick-down" from high speeds...

Not sure if the mechanic fucked up or what, as it appeared timing was jumping 15*.

Once I get the T04 on, will have another go with the mapecu2 and see how she behaves and will let you know.

Sorry to hear about the BHG... I feel your pain. Good luck with the second go, I'll stay tuned but may go ahead and buy it before then as I'm a lil anxious to get her going.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
go to mvpmotorsports.com and call them and see what they say, they are the biggest dealers of the Map ECU 2 in the US

sthmstr

May 29, 2008
Colorado
frontierguy25;1328328 said:
go to mvpmotorsports.com and call them and see what they say, they are the biggest dealers of the Map ECU 2 in the US

X2 on MVP. They have some kinda partnership with Powerhouse racing too. TOns of sick Supra builds. Last I saw 1455whp on a 2j!

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Map ECU2 is pretty simple to tune, kind of like an AEM interface. I have installed and lightly tuned (drivability) for my friends MKIV. He runs 600whp all day every day on pump + meth with a greddy t78 all through a built auto. I would not hesitate to run one any day of the week.

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
I just got my dynopics. Its in the dynosection. 425rwhp with mapecu2.. Not bad for a piggy i think. This is without using the timing function.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
pln;1399188 said:
I just got my dynopics. Its in the dynosection. 425rwhp with mapecu2.. Not bad for a piggy i think. This is without using the timing function.

I saw your post there, very nice. Are you letting MAP ECU control boost or are you using an external boost controller? Does map ecu log your boost level? Curious as to the dip IJ asked about, must be a boost drop right?

Unfortunately mine is still in the box yet to be hooked up. Shouldn't be much longer though.

pln

Get the gate!
Apr 10, 2007
eskilstuna.SWEDEN
7thousandpiecesMGTE;1399202 said:
I saw your post there, very nice. Are you letting MAP ECU control boost or are you using an external boost controller? Does map ecu log your boost level? Curious as to the dip IJ asked about, must be a boost drop right?

Unfortunately mine is still in the box yet to be hooked up. Shouldn't be much longer though.

Yes im letting mapecu controlling the boost. this is the mapecu loggfile of the run

Attachments

• run1.jpg
    run1.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 23