ma-70 carbon fiber twill weave & plain weave parts.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
We all gotta start somewhere.. lol

I had the 1980 and 1981 Celica's back in those days. The 80 got totalled, but it was a very fun car to drive. Never drove the MK1 Supra, but did drive the Cressida of the same era. Peppy, but the MK2's were the real beginnings of the Supra name.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
sorry to have to correct you guys, but the mk3 was the beginning. In japan the mk2 was just a celica XX... no Idea what the Mk1 was, but in the US we've had 4 generations of supras....

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
It was also the Celica XX. You're semi-right. In Japan it was never called the Supra, but the chassis was given the "A" code, which means supra. Just like the 3rd gen MR2 was the MR Spyder, buy it was "W" chassis code.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I think that you mean 79.

Actually, the "A" chassis designation did not start with the Supra, as Celicas before there was any such thing had that chassis designation. I believe that other cars did as well, including the 2000GT.

I would say that if you want to get technical, it was 1986 when the Celica became a FWD chassis that the Supra became its own thing. That was when it had the "A" chassis designation to itself, not sharing it. That was the end of the "Celica Supra" and the start of the "Supra".

Toyota seemed to often have several different models with the same chassis designation. The "X" chassis belonged to the Cressida, Crown, Corona Mark II and others. (I really miss my 1972 Corona Mark II sometimes. I wish I'd kept it long enough to drop something with a little more power than it's poor little 4M. That car was really light. I imagine that a stock 5M-GE would have provided about as much power as anyone would really want in that little coupe. A 7M-GE would start to break stuff in the suspension and subframes.)

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I was hoping someone would post something similar to my thoughts on the subject (and save me the time and energy), and that just nailed it.

+1 to you, Dan Gyoba.

ca91mkIII

May 23, 2012
Franklin
I can agree to CF doors being an awesome part. What about the cover panel that goes between the front bumper and the radiator core support?

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
For the record, yes, the 2000GT was an A chassis car, and a big reason I'm keeping the factory power steering reservoir, pre89 front, and 7M. I quite like the older era of Toyota, no matter how much better of a car the A80 might be.

You know what else we havent really had? CF engine covers. I cant imagine valve covers themselves being worth the effort, but I havent seen a carbon fiber M cover.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Dylan JZ;1913188 said:
I was hoping someone would post something similar to my thoughts on the subject (and save me the time and energy), and that just nailed it.

+1 to you, Dan Gyoba.

Ditto.
My mom had a corona mkII. It was one of her favorite cars ever.

And yeah- an engine cover would be a novel idea, or perhaps two smaller covers that hide most of the junk on the inner fenders...

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Thanks for the kudos. :D

Back on topic, really there aren't many pieces that I'd really want CF for, and some of the ones that I do want, I'd only want for the right price. I'd be perfectly happy with FRP for many parts, as there are many that I'd end up just painting anyway.

CarbonWorks

Jan 20, 2013
Boston
progress on the rear spoiler is coming along. i have taken into suggestion some of the input i have gotten, and agree that the cleaner the stylling of the part the better. my overall goal on this rear spoiler is for it to appear as a stock carbon fiber option for the mk3. i would estimate a demo product to be completed by the end of this month.

as for the carbon fiber mudflaps, due to a 1 week test of the product, and severe deterioration of clear coat and chipping it is not recommended that this part be pursued any farther as it is in a less than ideal location not so suited for CF.

on a side note, i recently purchased a 2013 Subaru imprezza for my girlfriend and while doing a few minor engine modifications came the inspiration for my next part on my personal mk3 supra. a carbon fiber intake manifold. i will be toying with this as time allows and will post back on progress.

thank you to all who have given suggestions, and put time into emphasizing their opinions on different items.
i do believe the mk3 supra community is a bargain type community, but i also believe that many have learned that with a car like the mk3 supra, it is better to " upgrade once correctly, than to upgrade inexpensively and have to do it twice.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
T701jz;1911838 said:
Hey Brad,
OneJarpus said it all. All talk and no action. This thread is a bed time story for kids who dreams of having Cf.....Good Luck though.
No worries man, I have enough CF parts I could probably build a plane at this point. :p

Grandavi;1911874 said:
there are some of us who are willing to put our money where our mouth is btw.. not sure how many.. but I am one.
Same here man, but I honestly can't think of anything that I'd really want in carbon at this point... which is a good thing I think. :)

Orion ZyGarian;1911922 said:
I've noticed many more people lately pulling through and actually spending money on their cars, instead of trying to cheap out and "just get by." I'm very happy to see that it appears that every day, more and more people are realizing "mod cheap, mod twice" and "if you're doing the bare minimum, you have the wrong car/hobby," both on here and at work...
I've kinda noticed that too. Hopefully they move a bit up market as a result and amateur "drifters" will leave them be... only so many of them to wreck left anymore.

Dylan JZ;1912858 said:
Woah, I had no idea what-so-ever that the Celica had one factory.
Yup, that was a part of the Sport Package here in the US. Buddy of mine and I went halves on an 81 that had every option Toyota offered. Was a really nice car, but we were in way over our heads in terms of experience (and to an extent, money) at the time.

Ended up buying a 79 Celica a few years later, really well built cars...

silverhornet;1913200 said:
year 88-93

item suggested - Sunvisor for rear boot lid (trunk lid),
Kevin M on here still sells these to my knowledge, check the Misc Vendors or Group Buy section for the thread. ;)

CarbonWorks;1913983 said:
on a side note, i recently purchased a 2013 Subaru imprezza for my girlfriend and while doing a few minor engine modifications came the inspiration for my next part on my personal mk3 supra. a carbon fiber intake manifold. i will be toying with this as time allows and will post back on progress.
Ambitious for sure... I like the idea, but how well would it hold up to having 30-40psi stuffed into it? I'm even leery of plastic manifolds myself, although a properly made CF manifold would probably be fairly strong. Thoughts?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Wasn’t there a build on here of a guy in Europe (Netherlands or Finland maybe) who made a carbon fiber intake, it had individual cf runners and a plenum. He also designed a twin turbo manifold that used 'sound waves' to help move the exhaust down and then back up to the turbos. If memory serves correct he was running 14 or 17 psi through that intake.

Also, for the spoiler, has any means of attachment has been decided?

ricoboost

Jun 20, 2007
quebec
Chambers;1914408 said:
Wasn’t there a build on here of a guy in Europe (Netherlands or Finland maybe) who made a carbon fiber intake, it had individual cf runners and a plenum. He also designed a twin turbo manifold that used 'sound waves' to help move the exhaust down and then back up to the turbos. If memory serves correct he was running 14 or 17 psi through that intake.

Also, for the spoiler, has any means of attachment has been decided?

yeah i have seen it too but just the work in progress never saw the finish product

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
CarbonWorks;1913983 said:
as for the carbon fiber mudflaps, due to a 1 week test of the product, and severe deterioration of clear coat and chipping it is not recommended that this part be pursued any farther as it is in a less than ideal location not so suited for CF.
I don't think people really care what that part is made out of... (I sure don't... FRP would be perfect for me) there is simply a demand for replacement panels since those rust through...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Glad to hear about the progress on the spoiler.
I would still like to see a bolt-in replacement for the front lip(89+).
Something that is only slightly larger than oem(if at all), but has a foreward jutting edge.

K_SHAN

don't taze me bro!
Jul 3, 2009
eagle, IDAHO!
I have been looking for some one to do alot of different CF things for my build..

Steering column neck
Front fenders (stock)
Greddy front bumper
89+ center wing section
Wind tray for greddy front bumper.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
maybe another lip option for pre89 bumpers? Just a thought. Shine only has the spec G i believe and its alright, not too crazy about it.