lol

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
I never get why people say '' ya my car is turbo with intercooler ...or turbo intercooled''...why do they say that ?? does intercooler sound that cool ??

Think when you say ..I have a turbo..chances are the intercooler comes with it ;)
Or am I just lost and there are cars taht are turbo non-intercooled ???...I might be :nuts: lol

Useless thread I know...just makes me laugh :biglaugh:

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
There are a few older turbo cars that didn't have an intercooler, but most people who bother to say that are trying to sound cool.

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
shit for real ??? but wouldnt the air entering the engine be fucking hot ?? man the performance has to be horrible..with piss hot air like that...ishhh

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
Having an intercooler is obviously better but going without isn't as bad as you'd think, particularly if you're running mild boost. Roots style superchargers have a lower compressor efficiency than a turbo (more of the pressure increase is caused by heat, so you have less actual air mass per psi). Very few roots superchargers use an intercooler and you probably don't see a problem with that.

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
alot of cars using a turbo with no intercooler are for more fuel effeincy(SP?) reasons.

Using a smaller displacment motor like a 1.3 will use less fuel and using a turbo gives it that little extra power. I'm a little messed up right now so i hope it makes sense. I could give a little more explination but i would probaly take an hour to right this.

PynkEye

Mar 30, 2005
im not a speciallist in SCs .... it is compressed air..but the part isnt heated like a turbo..maybe on SCs you dont need..or need less of a intercooler.
Id have to do some reading on SCs, learn a little bit more.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Anytime you compress air it heats it doesn't matter if it's a turbo SC or a bike pump (Hold your finger on the end and pump a few times to see what I mean)

The Supra is the first time I've used an IC of any description on a forced induction car and the cool part (excuse the pun) is it allows more boost/timing at the same octane fuel and less bandaids (Meth injection timing retard under boost and so on)

It also seems more consistant.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
My friend just got a Regal Grand National. He has a turbo but no intercooler - I thought that was weird but, 1978-1985 years did not come with intercoolers.

Although an '84 did not have an intercooler, stock boost was set to 15PSI!
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/buick-grandnational/buick-grandnational.shtml said:
The new SFI (Sequential Fuel Injection) system handled fuel management and the engine also included an electronic wastegate control for engine boost adjustment. Maximum boost was set at 15 psi.
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/buick-grandnational/buick-grandnational.shtml

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
What i was saying was just a trick that car manufactuers use to help keep gas mileage high. I read it somewhere i think in a book about turbocharging. Something with a small amount of boost you wouldn't realy need a intercooler if it was just a regular car for normal driving.

The intercooler keeps the air more dense, thats why we are able to boost higher. We could even boost higher if we ran a aftermarket intercooler with less heat soak.

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
Don't believe the fuel economy hype...it's all about manufacturing price and whether the car is a tech showpiece for them or not. If they need it, generally they get it, if the maker can get away without it, generally they will.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Saleen is making an ugraded S7 that is going to be twin turboed (mmm...7 liter V8 turbocharged). The thing will make 700bhp and doesn't have intercoolers. Mind you, Saleen is planning to later make an intercooled model that will have 1000bhp. Shows what intercooling can do.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Furball said:
Saleen is making an ugraded S7 that is going to be twin turboed (mmm...7 liter V8 turbocharged). The thing will make 700bhp and doesn't have intercoolers. Mind you, Saleen is planning to later make an intercooled model that will have 1000bhp. Shows what intercooling can do.
Are you saying that the 43% gain in horsepower is going to be solely attributed to incorporating an intercooler to that motor?

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
PynkEye said:
im not a speciallist in SCs .... it is compressed air..but the part isnt heated like a turbo..maybe on SCs you dont need..or need less of a intercooler.
Id have to do some reading on SCs, learn a little bit more.

Nearly all the heat above ambient in the air charge is caused by compressing the air. A turbo is hot but the air is inside of the turbo for a very short period of time. Because of this, heat conducted from the turbo to the air charge is negligible.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
7MGTEJoe said:
Because of this, heat conducted from the turbo to the air charge is negligible.

at mild boost levels for that specific turbo. 25psi on a stock CT is going to transfer some hot air. :(

-shaeff

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Tony Mawad said:
Are you saying that the 43% gain in horsepower is going to be solely attributed to incorporating an intercooler to that motor?

Oops, no I meant that because of the intercooler they could safely raise the boost to allow for that kind of HP.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
shaeff said:
at mild boost levels for that specific turbo. 25psi on a stock CT is going to transfer some hot air. :(

-shaeff
But in comparison to the heat created from compressing the air -- very little.

It is easier for me to show some members here how this work from the other way around: decreasing air pressure.
Ever feel how cold a spray-can gets if you hold the trigger down non-stop? Some spray-cans can develop frost on the outside, while the ambient air is 60-70F -- seen it happen before, and the can will feel like you are holding a glass of ice water.

Also, for those with air-compressors: After you fill it up, open up the drain at the bottom of the tank and hold your fingers there. The decrease in pressure will make any air and water coming out of it feel like ice water & very cold air, even on a warm day.

7MGTEJoe

Mar 31, 2005
Salinas, CA
shaeff said:

-shaeff

That has to do with compressor efficiency, not conduction. At 25 psi a stock CT is way out of its efficiency range. This is just a random compressor map I'm using for illustration, not an actual CT26 map:

H-3.GIF

If you look at the contour lines you'll see percentage numbers (74%, 72%...60%). These represent compressor efficiency at a given flow and pressure ratio. This percentage represents the breakdown between air mass and heat when you read a pressure increase on your boost gauge. The higher the efficiency, the more air mass and the less heat the charge will gain. As you push the turbo to its upper limits of flow you'll see the efficiency fall off and eventually you'll get into a region of the map where you're gaining very little air mass as boost increases. That upper right corner is where the CT26 "is just pumping heat".

Last edited:

supraredliner

Oldschool player
May 8, 2005
NC
Just off the top of my head, Turbo cars without intercoolers.

Datsun/Nissan 260Z Turbo
Datsun/Nissan 280ZX Turbo
1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo

I own the 280ZX turbo and I honestly think Aliens enginerred that thing. The engine is so complicated it's not even funny. I like it though it's rare.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
supraredliner said:

Datsun/Nissan 260Z Turbo
+ earlier Mitsubishi Starion / Dodge Conquest turbo.

the later Starions were intercooled. those even had a "intercooled" badge on the trunk, so they were already rice from factory, lol.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
supraredliner said:

Datsun/Nissan 260Z Turbo

I own the 280ZX turbo and I honestly think Aliens enginerred that thing. The engine is so complicated it's not even funny. I like it though it's rare.

I didn't think the 260Z came Turbo... pretty sure it didn't. The Z31 300ZX was Turbo without an intercooler though.