Leecheater's rebuild, getting there

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I haven't posted here for a while. Been patiently waiting for the 2JZ to arrive from the machine shop. It comes in tomorrow. Hopefully we can start installing her within a few days. So much to do. Spring seems so far away, but past experience has shown the winters go fast.
I did get the fly wheel machined today and my new clutch plate has been here for a while. Even though the old one was not too bad off, might as well freshen her up.

p1785309_1.jpg

p1785309_2.jpg

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
What kind of power is that clutch rated for? i have the 6 puck non sprung version and I can never tell what the rating is.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
I've been through a couple of them in my car. They've never slipped just run out of life fast. I'm fairly satisfied with them for the price.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Sounds like the triple disk is probably the way to go. Are you using a Q45 throttle body? Do you have any issues with maintaining speed with it? With mine i'm either accelerating or off the throttle. Not to much acceleration but it will continue to pick up speed which is really annoying. I'm trying to determine if its the throttle body or the car.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Yes, I have a Q45. To be honest, last summer we had nothing but problems, so we didn't put many miles on her. I had/have an electrical issue that despite trying like hell, to track down, we never did have a firm diagnosis and fix. We found several electrical issues, but never the cure. I am switching coils and sending AEM into the company so we can make sure it's not a faulty unit.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Bummer hopefully this year will alot less complications. How do you like the AEM? Is it a V1 or V2? I'm pretty set on going AEM this winter. The only problem is I have a JDM harness. I've heard theres 2 wires that need repinned I just can't figure out which number they are and where they need to go.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I have AEM version 1. I like it but will eventually go Pro-EFI. I like it's ability to sense difference ratio's of alcohol, and to also be able to run 92 octane if need be, plus traction control. Just need to make sure Shane from DB Performance can tune it. I also have a JDM harness. Sean (funky_monkey58) did the wiring. You can always send him a PM. He's pretty helpful.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
So about the engine bay.... Paint or no?

I will be ordering fuel rail material and tooling after the first, should be able to come up with some trick cool stuff.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
I've heard great things about proefi. My budget it limiting me from going to it at this point but maybe someday. It good to hear that others have been able to run the AEM that's probably the route I'll have to go for now. i'll hav eto get in contact with Sean when i'm ready to do the rewire. Thanks for all the help! Hopefully the build goes smoother this year. If you guys host a Supra meet i may be inclined to come up and join. The scene around here sucks for Supra's.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Sean, I vote for putting her back together without repainting. It's only a year or so since we painted it.

Yes, let's order the new fuel rail stuff. I want to unwrap engine and get her on the stand. It should be easier to get all the bolts tightened down on the exhaust manifold while on the stand. Plus the billet timing tensioner will be here in a couple of days.
Plus we need to make a decision on the coil set up so I can get the stuff ordered.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
The latest upgrade. Billet timing tensioner. Bought her with a couple of hundred miles on her. Engine goes on stand this weekend. We can then start assembling her.

p1787232_1.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Nice!

Not sure I you covered it, but what belt are you going with? Gates? I have seen the Toyota stock belt hit 1000. If anything, a Gates one does the same.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I have an HKS belt. Sure is pretty. Should have more pic's to post up in a day or so. For right now, this will be my coil set up.

p1787286_1.jpg

These are LS2 coils, with custom brackets. These will allow me to get rid of the DLI and the ignitor. With the amount I can sell my current coils(I have at least 2 full sets) and the ignitor and DLI, I can have brand new coils that are supposed to be better than the OEM set up, plus simplify the system. DaveH is running a somewhat similar set up.