Leecheater's rebuild, getting there

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
leecheater;1787286 said:
I have an HKS belt. Sure is pretty. Should have more pic's to post up in a day or so. For right now, this will be my coil set up.

p1787396_1.jpg

These are LS2 coils, with custom brackets. These will allow me to get rid of the DLI and the ignitor. With the amount I can sell my current coils(I have at least 2 full sets) and the ignitor and DLI, I can have brand new coils that are supposed to be better than the OEM set up, plus simplify the system. DaveH is running a somewhat similar set up.

Interesting concept on the Coil Mounts Dan, never thought of running them that way!

More detailed pics would be nice!

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I will be doing a 1ZZ setup, it is cheaper new and I have seen a .030 gap with 30+ PSI on a 6765. If that setup works, good job on finding them!

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
With how those coils are mounted it is not worth the price the guy is asking, just saying a set of truck coils is $100 at most and some simple brackets are pretty cheap to make.

I mean all the guy did is take some jz boots and stick em on the ls coils and put in a coil spring.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
To me, it seems like a good trade. Get rid of the 15+ year old coils, ignitor, DLI. The amount from the sale will cover the cost of new coils. Drop them in. Do the basic wiring, change settings on AEM. Done,on to another problem.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
leecheater;1787685 said:
To me, it seems like a good trade. Get rid of the 15+ year old coils, ignitor, DLI. The amount from the sale will cover the cost of new coils. Drop them in. Do the basic wiring, change settings on AEM. Done,on to another problem.

Whats wrong with buying the truck coils and making the brackets and spending the savings on fuel stuff?

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Sean, there's nothing wrong with it. I don't have the ability and so I figure plug and play is better. Nice looking, polished brackets, professional wiring work, new coils, not used. Plus trouble shooting help if need be.
BTW, I have been looking at fuel pumps. There are several brands that look pretty good.

http://fuelab.com/prodigy-fuel-pumps/41402-prodigy-fuel-pump-high-efficiency-efi-in-line $400 shipped

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRF-MP-4450/ $500

A quick search turned up these. I am sure there are more. The Weldon's are nice but twice the price for our application. I don't want another Aeromotive pump.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
leecheater;1787698 said:
Sean, there's nothing wrong with it. I don't have the ability and so I figure plug and play is better. Nice looking, polished brackets, professional wiring work, new coils, not used. Plus trouble shooting help if need be.
BTW, I have been looking at fuel pumps. There are several brands that look pretty good.

http://fuelab.com/prodigy-fuel-pumps/41402-prodigy-fuel-pump-high-efficiency-efi-in-line $400 shipped

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRF-MP-4450/ $500

A quick search turned up these. I am sure there are more. The Weldon's are nice but twice the price for our application. I don't want another Aeromotive pump.
I have never hear of mojo performance before you found that link, polished brackets or shit green brackets who cares it gets covered up by the galley cover anyway. Also if you read his description he uses used coils also for the $445 and $515 for ones with new coils. I say buy a set of 8 used ones test em use 6 of them and have two spares for the $100 it costs. For $300 I will make you some brackets and wire them, as they will have to wired by me either way. Just doesn't make sense to me to pay for something we can easily do ourselves. And by easily do I mean it is really easy, like easy enough a 12 year old could do it under my direction.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Sean, I looked at that Summit link. Isn't a pump that can provide 45 psi and support 2500 h/p (according to the add) a bit over kill? For that price might as well get a Weldon and be done with it?

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Tonight Sean and I worked a bit on the 2JZ. We had to remove the Crank pulley to install the billet timing tensioner bracket. That mother was on there tight. 239 lbs of torque. The tensioner should have been put on during assembly, but I didn't find a deal until we already had her back from the machine shop. The billet MVP bracket is a heck of a lot heavier than the OEM version.
We also played around a bit with the mount for the LS2 coils. I really liked the brackets and set up of the previous web site I mentioned, but price was too high for what you get. More on this later.

p1789273_1.jpg

p1789273_2.jpg

p1789273_3.jpg

p1789273_4.jpg

p1789273_5.jpg

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
A couple of pic's of the new manifold and what we are up too:

p1794728_1.jpg

p1794728_2.jpg

p1794728_3.jpg

I snapped these after I got home from the clinic. Sean has the new manifold bolted up, we are mocking it up because we are trying to figure out the new position of the wastegate. This time we will put it under the manifold, instead of above. This will allow us more room around the spool valve and more room near the 4" down pipe.

Sean plans on dropping the engine in tomorrow, taking measurements for where the tubing will need to be cut and tig welded so the WG is out of the way, plus make measurements for the downpipe.

Lately, I got a knock sensor, 10 blade 7M fan, and the insulators for the hot end of the coils in the mail. I will feel a lot better when the exhaust is fabricated. Would love to find a BIC catback for sale!

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I found it on Amazon, it was more expensive on e-bay. Sold by crx racing on Amazon. Brand name is ETD? It's not the $130 e-bay special, but not the $1500 one they sell on their either. Here's the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-98-Supra...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c5e70b037

This one is tig welded and is thicker. It's not a big buck item but not cheap as hell either. It looks a lot nice than the one we took off.