Leecheater's rebuild, getting there

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Hello All,
I picked up the Supra from the body man today. It cost more than I thought to put in the turbo-a-duct, paint bumpers, take care of a few scrapes and to cut out several inner fender areas of rust. Yes, rust. This car has never seen snow or even come close to driving in the winter. Any way it is getting there.
Sean (funkymonkey_57) still has many small items to work on: gauges need tweaking, wide band needs mounting, rear interior needs to be put in, fuel lines and filter need to be tweaked. We sprayed the interior metal with damper-x (6 layers) along with under the gas tank (3 layers). For you who don't know what it is, here is a link. This stuff is like spray on bed liner for your truck. Highly recommend it.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/products/noise-vibration-coating.php

I still have 2/3 of a 5 gallon bucket left. Really decreased sound from the aeromotive pump. If I would have known she was going to be that loud I would have went another route.

She is only ruinning at 8 lbs of boost right now. We have a lot of stuff under hood to bolt down, clamp down, fix a small coolant leak. We are getting there.

What do you think of the tweaked paint and new wheels/tires? It was getting dark but I wanted to show her off a bit. I can tell you this, the BOV is loud!!

Thanks for looking,

Dan

p1357015_1.jpg

p1357015_2.jpg

p1357015_3.jpg

p1357015_4.jpg

p1357015_5.jpg

p1357015_6.jpg

p1357015_7.jpg

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
She looks alot better with the bumpers on, and blinkers in all mounted correctly :) Pictures at dusk dose not due justice. She looks alot better in the sun.
Getting closer to the finish line you are.

benk777

Jun 18, 2008
Waukesha, WI
Can you give me detail of how much the body shop charged you, mainly for the cutting of rust areas and what they did to fix it. I've got bad rust under the rear fenders and will have to have it attended to soon.

Thanks.

Ben

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
First of all, thanks for the many compliments. It's far from perfect but better than most I have seen. It's really an ongoing project. I have waited a long time to drive her to work, but I did today. First time in 2 years. She still runs a bit rough and so Sean and I are going to take her back for another hour or so on the dyno at DB performance. We think 525 h/p should be pretty easy. Leave her there until I put on a T4 manifold, T-67, and 272 cams. That along with a aluminum radiator, custom tweak of intercooler pipes so I can put the fog lights back in. Boy, it really is endless. Good problem to have I guess.

benk777 My guy removed wheels and used a cutting wheel to cut out the rusted areas. It was surprising to me as this is the first time we have ever found rust on her. It looks like some of the undercoating separated away from the metal and water got trapped, probably when driving in the rain. Once good solid metal was found he then used sheet metal from one of the many scrapped cars he has worked on. Cut and welded to the exact size. This is something you can do your self if you have a welder and a way to cut metal. The total area really wasn't that big. Another area was in the spare tire well. When I bought the car there was water in the well. I replaced the hatch liner and there has been none since. He cut it out and welded in a nice new piece and the used the Damper X to cover it.

More photos in a day of so. Next batch will be when interior has been replaced and during the day.

Dan

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
My latest dyno #s are 550 RWHP at 22 lbs of boost. We could have went for more and may later. I know we will be back to the tuner. I have another thread under dyno section.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101967

We are still tweaking interior, working on gauges, stereo. Lot's of small parts needed due to the fact we can't find them among all the MKIII parts accumulated. Who has a pre 89 gray interior car that they are parting out? Send me your email. I have a long parts list.

Dan

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Very nice #'s bud. When I get up there to start work on the audio system your going to have to give me a quick run in her.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Rob,
The 2JZ really snorts when you kick on the boost. How about the ride out of Clear Lake?? I am going to harness the wastegate. Too much of a cop magnet!
And, yes, let's get the sound system all figured out, ASAP.

Dan

92nsx;1373903 said:
Very nice #'s bud. When I get up there to start work on the audio system your going to have to give me a quick run in her.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
leecheater;1377626 said:
Rob,
The 2JZ really snorts when you kick on the boost. How about the ride out of Clear Lake?? I am going to harness the wastegate. Too much of a cop magnet!
And, yes, let's get the sound system all figured out, ASAP.

Dan

I have an idea I think we could implement tomorrow.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
WOW your 2jz really moves. Thank you for the quick ride last night!! I dont even know how to explain how fast it is. Your car is just blistering fast, and those RPM jump so fricking fast. Im suprised how well your car hooks up and dosent spin that much!!! Once the wastegate gets plumed back in it will sound alot better and a little less of a cop magnet. The raw power of shoud draw enough attention :evil2::evil2:

LMK what your friend says about the stereo.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I was having cooling issues on hot days when doing a fair amount of boosting. After asking around, Sean, aka funkey_monkey58 and Rob aka 92nsx highly recommended the Mishimoto aluminum radiator. Got a sweet price from Supra Sport. As many of you know it's a direct drop in swap. For Sean and I, we needed to move a few inter cooler clamps around, took less than 30 minutes for the whole swap. He has done this so many times in the past, it was really easy. I later took her out to get some more E85. I romped on her a bit, but not too hard. Tonight is cool perhaps 70 degrees. No heat issues. Why do the guys in the trucks with the loud mufflers think they can race me and have a chance. Honestly, I am ready to do battle with a Ford Lightning. Photos of install below. BTW, I have the electric fan set up and shroud sold by Adreneline on the group buy section, highly recommend. She bolts right up.

Dan

p1388099_1.jpg

p1388099_2.jpg

p1388099_3.jpg

p1388099_4.jpg

p1388099_5.jpg

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Yes, you have a bad fashion designer but your quick on the wrench. Thanks for the help tonight. She gets right up to run temp. quickly. Not over heat issues at all. Be sure to check her fluid level before taking her over to get the part from Andy.

Dan