Leecheater's rebuild, getting there

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Today I oredered pistons and rods. I bought them from Real Street performance. I went with the JE Asymetrical 10 to 1 compression and Manley rods. The JE's have about a 3 week lag time. If I am lucky, I can get Sean to put the engine back in her before he runs off to Central America for the winter.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Update: Today the Toyota gasket set, modified oil pump, ACL bearing set, and the ARP main studs bolts came in. The machine shop is grinding the crankshaft .010. I also e-mailed the guys at Real Street Performance asking if they have heard anything about the custom pistons. Machine shop told me 3 weeks once the parts are there. Now if I can just sell my fuel pump and a few other items I have to help offset costs.

goodhart

Jul 8, 2010
Cambridge , MN
mitsustyle.com
Is it common to turn 2jz cranks? I know at least with mitsu shit, it's a big no-no, but if one must do so it should be re-nitrided. Like I said, just my experience with Mitsubishi's, so Toyota may be different.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Mike, from what the guy told me who is doing the machine work, it was not perfect and he wanted perfect. I have not heard that the crank would need to be re-nitrided. I am going to look into it. As of right now, I expect the pistons and rods to show up any day. Ship day was supposed to be 10/10 from California.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Fairly safe to 10 thou under, beyond that the Induction hardening Toyota use just doesn't go deep enough so they need to be niterided which adds a good deal of time/expense as there's a heat treating/straightening process involved as well. (went through all this with my 7M cranks)

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Thanks IJ. I did a search on Supra Forums and couldn't find much. This crank had been polished once before when I spun a bearing. I think it is more precaution than anything. These guys do a ton of engine machining and I trust them.

goodhart

Jul 8, 2010
Cambridge , MN
mitsustyle.com
Ah, I forgot the same guy who does Dave's motors is doing it. I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing, so I won't clutter up with any more questions. :)

Also, just got your email. Wow, RealStreet is awesome!

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
The latest: The pistons and rods showed up today. I snapped a few quick pics. They will be going out in mail tomorrow heading for Fargo. I don't know the weight of OEM pistons, these weigh 335 gms. They are the JE flat tops, and Manley rods.

p1769419_1.jpg

p1769419_2.jpg

p1769419_3.jpg

p1769419_4.jpg

Now, another 3 weeks and we will be ready to reassemble. Too bad we have a long f**cking MN winter ahead. We will take our time. A lot of small things to check.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I am working on my list of things to things needed before spring. New fuel pump, dual setting manual boost controller, send in AEM to check her out. I am also seriously looking at Steve's idea of getting rid of stock coils, perhaps got with either the 1ZZ coils or LS coils. Plus getting 4" exhaust fabricated.

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
I have read the 1zz coils are cheap. I could sell my HKS DLI and ignitor and probably get pick up the needed parts with the sale. DaveH is using the LS coils. Which ever I go with I want the stock coil cover to fit correctly.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
leecheater;1771750 said:
I have read the 1zz coils are cheap. I could sell my HKS DLI and ignitor and probably get pick up the needed parts with the sale. DaveH is using the LS coils. Which ever I go with I want the stock coil cover to fit correctly.

They fit under the stock cover 100%. They are cheap, you selling the DLI would be able to get all the coils. You could find them in any pull apart and take the plugs from the car as well. One power, one ground and a ground trigger.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
lol, I have a couple...might keep a set for myself, too. Would be cool to see what they can do on a JZ and M engine with similar mods :p

p1771788_1.jpg

Sounds like you're planning on having some make-up fun next year!

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Steve,
Perhaps buy one of the sets from you?? Yes, it was a dud of a summer. We never did have her running correctly. Next summer, burning rubber, taking names. Too bad April is so far off!!

DaveH

Feb 25, 2006
Fargo, ND
I mounted the LS coils where the windshield wiper motor went, and then brought the wires out through the firewall.

LS-Coils.jpg

leecheater

Got a bad habit
Mar 27, 2006
St. Cloud, MN
Dave the coil set up looks sweet. I still want to keep my relatively stock look as much as possible. I have read a bit on SFs about these coils. There are several guys using them with good results. It apprears that for around $100-120 I can get 6 1zz coils. We were still having missing issues when we pulled out the motor despite the fact we had triple checked all the wiring. My AEM is going to be sent back in just to make sure that isn't the source.