Lee_MA61's 2JZ-GTE build thread

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
pimptrizkit said:
sic,

i am currently gathering parts for an 7mgte in a mkii, i want to build a 9 second car ,

i just cant even describe how many people laugh at me when i tell them about my old school drift/drag project.

That was actually the swap I was going to do, until I found out about the 6M-GE. So I swapped that one in which intentions of going 7M-GTE later. So the time came around when I had the money to do the 7M swap and I found a 2JZ-GTE for next to free. So that's been my part gathering process since last November. Ha ha.

They may laugh, but Mk.II's with 7Ms are insane. Let them laugh until you blow the doors off of them at the track.

Are you on CelicaSupra.com?

Last edited:

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Yup Tyler is right!

I've been kinda slow at getting the rest of my parts.. I did pick up a good R154 from a member on here. Along with a 1jz bell-housing from Driftmotion.com.

I'm waiting for a few people on CelicaSupra.com to finalize JZ engine mounts. That way I don't have to call Australia! ha ha

Drive-train components are almost completed. Just need drive-shaft, flywheel, and clutch.

Sorry for not updating this as often as I'd like. But honestly I haven't done much cool! :(

Thanks guys,

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
subscribed for sure. I was hoping that by the time I got to the third page you would have videos posted of the finished product. I'm sure you wish it was done tooo.............:biglaugh:

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
suprahero said:
subscribed for sure. I was hoping that by the time I got to the third page you would have videos posted of the finished product. I'm sure you wish it was done tooo.............:biglaugh:

OH I wish every second. Then I kick myself because I have almost enough money to finish it, but I have to buy a new DD...

That really sucks.. ha ha should be done sometime soon!! ;D

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i am part of celicasupra.com but i dont visit or post to much, i lurk alot there.

same as SF , i did like these forums more but im tending to lurk more here due to younger members not apreciating hard work weather it's clean or has to be your DD, i'll apreciate any thing , 240, fast honda's, to home build project drag cars,

it is very nice to see clean cars come along and help hold up a good name tho.

i have always liked the mkii over the celica gts style of the same year, i just love the supra front end,
altho i have all the parts to swap a 7mgte into a celica, even a gt coupe with the engine and tranny out, but i need a DD that wont get me pulled over every other month like my supra does. so the 22re is going back into her,

gotta love the sleeper look that can be accomplished by these' older supra's.

Last edited:

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Yeah I can see exactly what you are saying happening on the boards. I'm 19 but I can respect the work someone has done. Actually a lot of people's work has inspired me, such as a 2J swap in a Mk.II. First time I seen that was on CS.com by Norbie. He swapped it with a automatic, I hate automatics, but the work was just amazing.

I love almost all early to mid 80's Toyota cars. Sleepers + back to the future look! (dream car = DMC 12)..

Can't wait to see your Mk.II.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
*subscribed

First time I've seen this thread and I'm very impressed. That car is going to be sick and a sleeper to those that don't know much about the Supra's. Especially the MKII's. Can't wait to see this project done.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
lee im just turning 21, i know not every one is that way, unfortunetly my brother was and no longer can post here. but lets not beat a dead horse on that one guys.

any ways.

the car i picked up will need fresh paint, but it's an 82 L-type that i will put an 86 hatch on that has a sun visor and wing. ( also 3rd brake light making it an 86 hatch for those who dont know, DOT enforced the third brake light in 86 by law.)

any ways, i always wanted a 2j mkii but cost doesn't fit the build for my car,

are you going stock ecu or stand alone?

you definitly have a clean mkii from the engine bay pic's

thats usualy the ugliest part of these cars since so many backyard mechanics work on them.

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
82 nice, did you wire up the third brake light so it works? I like how the early L-Types didn't have fender flares. Sounds like you are going to have a real sleeper on your hands there. Looks of an automatic slush box, but the power of a 7M. I assume you are going to use an R154?

Thanks for the comments on my car. :D I try to keep it clean, as all the ones I see running around Iowa are rusted badly.

For engine management I'm using a Haltech E6S EMS. I for got to post pictures of the EMS and harness. Thanks for reminding me, I'm going to do that soon. I'm about half way through the tunning PDF that came with it. I'll probably have to read it a few more times. Then pop on to a Australian Haltech EMS forum, so I can tune it properly (I'm weird, I won't let anyone work on my Supra... ego problems??).

I'm sure there is something I missed but I can't think of what it is.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
LOL~ im the only mechanic that works on my car aswell,

i haven't wired up the hatch yet but i will

on my 84 celica gt it was a matter of grounding one wire and attaching another using a scotch clip / soilder to a green brake wire that was in the head liner, i had traced it using an dvom from the wire to the brake bulb

i assumed it would be that easy in the mkii but haven't done it yet,
if i have more issues then that i would probaly run a wire from the 3rd light, down the a-pillar to the driver side , the wires for the turns and brakes run along the bas of the door under some sheet metel under the passenger arm rest area and so on, i used to know a place to find a mkii/ celica ewd online.

i will switch to a r154 as soon as i source one or part my mkiii??
i rebuilt my motor and tranny 8k ago (4-6 months) but recently had some door problems with a friend falling out of my car.. ehh long story..

but i figured i would run a w58 untill she blew, i have 3 laying around any how just as spare's when i was beatin on my old ra64,

i always figured an w58 is good for about 350rwhp in a mkii or mkiv so it must be good for around 425-450 in a car thats almost 1/2 ton lighter.. (gulp i hope)

Emik87t

GameOver
May 30, 2007
Iowa
I was wondering what your 2j was going to be for when Jerry was talking about it at Harveys. This looks like it will be a really awesome build and im going to keep checking. Iowa could use some nice supras.

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
So I haven't Updated this for awhile... haha

I ended up spending the money on the Required Exedy twin plate clutch/flywheel combo. On a very nice 91 Supra Turbo. Just to get me around when the Mk. II is down.

So I've made some progress as of late!

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Being that it is about ready to snow, I thought I would tear in to the 2JZ-GTE project. I had to give the 6M-GE at least one last summer.

Below are pictures of the removal which went along rather smoothly!

(sorry the pictures are kinda large! I linked them directly from my website, then forgot I can't use HTML code to scale them down here.)

ProjectOne02.jpg

ProjectOne03.jpg

ProjectOne04.jpg

ProjectOne05.jpg

ProjectOne06.jpg

ProjectOne07.jpg

More can be seen here:

Project 2J

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Then after the 6M removal I decided why not mount up the HALTECH E6A in the proper position. So with some modified stock ecu mounts and a long time sitting upside down the results were awesome.

Looks pretty stock aside from the serail cable.. :)

ProjectOne14.jpg

ProjectOne15.jpg

ProjectOne16.jpg

ProjectOne17.jpg

ProjectOne18.jpg

ProjectOne19.jpg

More can be seen here:

Project 2J

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
So I started to mount the tranny. Started a little late ha ha.

It took a lot of work as you can see in the pictures..

I promised pictures so here they are!

This is a picture of the modified shifter location. (didn't like cutting into the car)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Bellhousing appears to be in the correct position. (just need the engine mounts to verify)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Still need to do a little banging around so this part can clear.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Clearance around the tranny so far.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Maybe my engine mounts will be here too! Then I could have all kinds of fun!

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
So I got the tranny in on 12-06-2007. But had a bunch of errors on my computer. I ended up tearing it down and repairing errors on the hard drive. Tonight after this post will be my last with windows for a while. I'm going to try a Linux distrobution...

Anyways to the pictures!

Thanks to the helpful advice of many I was able to force my tranny to fit. :)

With the help of my little friends...

Sonny the sledge hammer... (served time, known as iron fist in the yard)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Benny the blow torch... (known as the scorcher)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

More convinincing was required..

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Requesting clearnce, clearnce has been has granted..

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I had to cut a little more than I wanted to... But I'll be making a cover for the nasty whole that'll incoporate the stock shift boot stuff.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

A look at where the bellhousing sets now..

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So I'm making some small progress here and there... Still waiting for the engine mounts, they seem to be lost in the mail.

Soon I'll have the engine in and still be rocking out with out a working Mk.II :kekekegay

Hmm... what could I work on next? Any ideas anyone?

Later,
Leon

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA

I've been waiting for the mounts to show up..

As soon as they get here I'll have a lot more stuff to do.

Right now I'm going to work on my intercooler brackets.