Lee_MA61's 2JZ-GTE build thread

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
So I've finally gotten close enough in parts i thought i would start a build thread. Not only will this help keep you guys informed but it will help keep me on track. In the end we will reach a major payoff that everyone will enjoy.

So stick around check out the pictures and stories. I'll be updating my To do list every so often along with pictures. Maybe someone might be able to help me with a part sourcing along the way. :D

To do list: Completed
  1. Rebuild Engine
  2. Engine / Transmission mounted
  3. Wiring
  4. Fuel System
  5. Turbo Oil lines/ Oil cooler
  6. Inter-cooler piping
  7. Exhaust
  8. Tuning

To buy list: Purchased Items
  • 2JZ-GTE
  • Front-Sump oil pan
  • Eagle H-Beam connecting rods
  • JE forged pistons (Standard 8.5:1 .20 over)
  • Cometic 2.0mm MHG
  • PT74GTSHP
  • Turbo manifold
  • Waste-gate
  • Aftercooler A.K.A "Intercooler"
  • TAiL 50mm Blow Off Valve
  • Titan motor-sports Fuel Rail duel feed 8an/6an return return
  • Titan motor-sports 1600cc (151lb domestics) injectors
  • Aeromotive A1000 8an in/6an out
  • Aeromotive A1000 w/ pre and after filter
  • Clevitte bearings set
  • Main bolts
  • Oil squirters
  • Oil Pump
  • Water pump rear housing/Meizure electric water pump
  • Complete timing belt setup
  • Complete serpentine belt setup/tensioner
  • Alternator
  • PS pump/Reservoir
  • Haltech E6A EMS
  • MSD DIS-4
  • R154
  • 1JZ bell-housing
  • 1JZ clutch and flywheel setup
  • Drive-shaft
  • Engine mounts MrTechNic
  • Mk.II Auto tranny mount
:hsugh:

Engine Build:

p652719_1.jpg

p652719_2.jpg

p652719_3.jpg

p652719_4.jpg

p652719_5.jpg

p652719_6.jpg

p652719_7.jpg

p652719_8.jpg

p652719_9.jpg

p652719_10.jpg

Teaser Install:

p652719_11.jpg

p652719_12.jpg

p652719_13.jpg

p652719_14.jpg

p652719_15.jpg

Still more to come LATER tonight!

Thanks,

Last edited:

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
Do yourself a favor and dont run the MSD ignition box with the haltech. You will have nothing but problems. I suggest that you run either the stock 2J ignitor with and HKS DLI or switch to LS1 coils. you will be much happier in the end.

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
SD2JZA70 said:
Do yourself a favor and dont run the MSD ignition box with the haltech. You will have nothing but problems. I suggest that you run either the stock 2J ignitor with and HKS DLI or switch to LS1 coils. you will be much happier in the end.

Why is that? My haltech is wired and has been used with an MSD DIS-4 on several drag 1/2JZs. I'd just like to know why it is a bad combo, maybe the guy i bought it from didn't tell me any problems he had. Thanks for you input let me know.

Thanks guys, I'll switch to fixed pictures here sometime to day. If you guys have any parts on that list shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
I had issues with the MSD boxes on my car as well as a few others. They are unreliable and had quite a few misfire problems. I had my DIS4 sent back with a defect when it was brand new. Im running the AEM box with no problems and quite a few of my friends are running LS1 coils with out any issue. My buddies 2J is making 760 rwhp with the LS1 coils and haltech with out any issues. LS1 coils are much cheaper as they have internal ignitors.

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
SupraDreamPDR said:
Glad to see you decided to finish this project. It's looking good. You have 3 generations of Supras in that 2nd teaser install picture!! :biglaugh:

Ha ha yeah 3 generations of Supras, but only 2 generations of ::bhg:: !! :p

____

As for the MSD I'll look into LS1 coils or re-wiring it to run HKS DLI. I'll post pictures of the unit tomorrow.

Tonight I was working on that Mk.III in the "Teaser" pics, CambellsChunkySoupra's. So we had 3 M series engines in my garage 5M-GE, 6M-GE, & 7M-GTE, then of course the 2J..

Parts on the way! More pictures soon!

Thanks,

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SD2JZA70 said:
I had issues with the MSD boxes on my car as well as a few others. They are unreliable and had quite a few misfire problems. I had my DIS4 sent back with a defect when it was brand new. Im running the AEM box with no problems and quite a few of my friends are running LS1 coils with out any issue. My buddies 2J is making 760 rwhp with the LS1 coils and haltech with out any issues. LS1 coils are much cheaper as they have internal ignitors.
Ditto one of my 2 DIS-4's that I was running failed and was replaced by MSD.

OP: Nice build what are your plans for traction?

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
IJ. said:
OP: Nice build what are your plans for traction?

Currently I have a 255/40/17 on the rear, they hold the 6m fine. I know I'll need more than that for good launches at the track. I'm looking into a 2nd rear set of tires. Although the widest i could fit back there is around a 275-290..

As for the Differential it's only a 7.5" 27 spline 4.10 LSD, I'm going to rebuild that with a Tru-trac and see how long it'll last. They have been proven to at least 500 rwhp, nobody has ever really tested their limits.

So MSDs are really that bad?...

Thanks,

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I've got a 9" Truetrac in my ma70 and it's perfectly happy at 550rwhp ;)

MSD's aren't "bad" as such but they either work or they don't, the first clue should be the bypass plug they include in the box.....

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
IJ. said:
MSD's aren't "bad" as such but they either work or they don't, the first clue should be the bypass plug they include in the box.....

As to say they provide you a way to limp home if it breaks or to just forget about the system completely? Do you know if it was a generation related issue?

Thanks for your input

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
The plug totally bypasses the DIS-4 but the problem/issue I had with it was I was using the 480v Dis Racing CDI Coils so bypassed it still dropped 3 cylinders running the coils on 12v :(
(was an "interesting" drive home on 3)

Not really sure my second one seemed fine and I never tested the replacement and sold it new unopened.

MSD's forums would be a good place to search though.

Lee_MA61

Leon Wilson III
Jan 31, 2007
Norwalk, IA
Thanks for that information, I will be researching a lot tomorrow. With my current setup the wiring harness runs the stock coils.

Anyways I'll post those pictures up soon so you guys know what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
On the + side for the DIS-4 setup I torched a hole in a piston after having an injector semi fail on the dyno and drove the car 50 KM's home pumping 3 qt's of oil into the IC and it still fired the plugs no problems at all :)
(would probably still fire a plug in a cup of oil)

Looking forward to some progress on the 61.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
sic,

i am currently gathering parts for an 7mgte in a mkii, i want to build a 9 second car ,

i just cant even describe how many people laugh at me when i tell them about my old school drift/drag project.