L33 engine in a 92 supra

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
I actually had a guy at work machine me the engine mounts based on you cad file. I TIG welded them together and I used ford bronco isolators, I finally got to drop my iron block 346 into the bay to test fit it. Everything went tits. Im torn if wan to go turbo since I have a TC78 sitting on my workbench. I may just go NA power for the time being.

Last edited:

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
grifter679;1970991 said:
I actually had a guy at work machine me the engine mounts based on you cad file. I TIG welded them together and I used ford bronco isolators, I finally got to drop my iron block 346 into the bay to test fit it. Everything went tits. Im torn if wan to go turbo since I have a TC78 sitting on my workbench. I may just go NA power for the time being.

I am glad to hear the motor mounts worked. Hopefully you get her up and running soon.

I have been driving the crap out of my car. Any time the weather has popped above freezing I have been out and about. I had some running issues where the car started stuttering and hitching. It had me real concerned but since my gas gauge has been broken I have tracked fuel level by the odometer. Well it must have gotten reset more then once because I had done less then 200 miles which should have been fine. I took her to the gas station and sure enough she slurped down 16 gallons of premium and went back to running like a champ.

I am still trying to find my lost gauge cluster. I bought one and it got shipped to my old address. Hopefully I can figure out where it is and get it installed. I am looking to install a new mishimoto radiator and shroud also.

She is sitting right. I have had a set of eibachs and tokickos sitting on the shelf for a year and finally got them installed. The stance is much better now and I think the stockers I took off were original.

I have a toyota matrix 6 cd changer head unit that I should get tomorrow. I it looks like the radio I had in my Sequoia and it looks like it should plug right up. I am annoyed but the functionality of aftermarket radios and have always been happy with factory equipment so I will update how it goes when I get it.

I still need to get a tune and get her on a dyno but at this point she is just tons of fun to drive. There is power all over and she pulls like a champ all the way up to 6500rpm. I was hoping to get some film of her running but really haven't figured out a good way to make it happen. I am going to get ahold of a local tuner this week and hopefully get her leaned out as she is running real rich.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
MightyAl;1982303 said:
I am glad to hear the motor mounts worked. Hopefully you get her up and running soon.

I have been driving the crap out of my car. Any time the weather has popped above freezing I have been out and about. I had some running issues where the car started stuttering and hitching. It had me real concerned but since my gas gauge has been broken I have tracked fuel level by the odometer. Well it must have gotten reset more then once because I had done less then 200 miles which should have been fine. I took her to the gas station and sure enough she slurped down 16 gallons of premium and went back to running like a champ.

I am still trying to find my lost gauge cluster. I bought one and it got shipped to my old address. Hopefully I can figure out where it is and get it installed. I am looking to install a new mishimoto radiator and shroud also.

She is sitting right. I have had a set of eibachs and tokickos sitting on the shelf for a year and finally got them installed. The stance is much better now and I think the stockers I took off were original.

I have a toyota matrix 6 cd changer head unit that I should get tomorrow. I it looks like the radio I had in my Sequoia and it looks like it should plug right up. I am annoyed but the functionality of aftermarket radios and have always been happy with factory equipment so I will update how it goes when I get it.

I still need to get a tune and get her on a dyno but at this point she is just tons of fun to drive. There is power all over and she pulls like a champ all the way up to 6500rpm. I was hoping to get some film of her running but really haven't figured out a good way to make it happen. I am going to get ahold of a local tuner this week and hopefully get her leaned out as she is running real rich.

I think I've got an extra gas gauge lying around AL. If you send me money for shipping I'd be happy to send it to you. I'll have to double check and make sure i'I've still got it.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Newgen thanks for the offer. I am still trying to track down the one I bought and if push comes to shove I have one of unknown origin sitting on a shelf.

The good news is I figured out my battery drain. It turns out the drivers door switch was showing open when the door was shut causing the interior door light to come on. I lubed up the switch and exercised it and it seems to be functioning. It is nice that you have to tear apart the interior to replace.

My stock toyota 6 disc cd head unit came in and it looks great. Hopefully I can get it installed tonight. I love plug and play.

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
so I put my engine and trans together and it seems that the throw out bearing I am using is too short, did you use a advance unit or off the shelf. I figure I have time until I break the two apart to address the issue. for my exhaust im leaning towards true dual just for the it factor, 2.5" all the way back x pipe and dual mufflers in the factory location. I wish I could just knock this build out of the park but I got too many priorities

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I am hoping. Off the shelf options are few. The big difference is that the LSx clutch is a 9" disk while the supra is a 7". So far with the 300+ ft-lbs I am running now there are no problems. I am also using I think a stock LS7 PP and flywheel. The whole assembly cost me less then $300.

We will see once I get it tuned and have more time to beat on it.

pete05

Nov 24, 2012
australia
I thought advance adaptors did an 11 inch clutch to work with these conversions. So you are using the ls7 pp and flywheel with a stock 7mgte clutch plate?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
pete05;1992788 said:
I thought advance adaptors did an 11 inch clutch to work with these conversions. So you are using the ls7 pp and flywheel with a stock 7mgte clutch plate?

You are right. I think the McLeod is actually 10.5". It has been 10 months since I finished putting the drivetrain together. The details get cloudy sometimes.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
aixgelo78;1993030 said:
how much more throw does the new slave cylinder give, I had to use a spacer before, but it was a totally different application?

I am using a larger bore master to match the slave. The clutch release is about half the pedal travel. I am a little worried about over stroking the slave and am thinking about installing a pedal stop.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
MightyAl;1993040 said:
I am using a larger bore master to match the slave. The clutch release is about half the pedal travel. I am a little worried about over stroking the slave and am thinking about installing a pedal stop.
I used to adjust my Clutch pedal closer to the floor to limit stroke then adjusted the brake pedal to suit ;)

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
IJ.;1993046 said:
I used to adjust my Clutch pedal closer to the floor to limit stroke then adjusted the brake pedal to suit ;)

I think I might be out of adjustment on the clutch rod. I need to check.

Just one more thing on the list.

pete05

Nov 24, 2012
australia
I have been doing some reading on this as I am going to put an ls1 in mine very soon, I see you used the stock ls7 flywheel, on advance adapters site they say you need there custom flywheel due to the ls1 have a different crank stick out to a older stlye chev. They say there is .400 inch difference where the ls1 crank sits further in so I am guessing the custom flywheel is .400 thicker.
Do you remember having any issues getting the clutch to adjust up with the ls7 flywheel?

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I guess this is the end of this build. The car is on the road and a lot of fun but it is time for me to move on. I am going to put the car up for sale and get out of the supra game for a little while. Thanks for all the support this build was a lot of fun for me and I learned a lot.