L33 engine in a 92 supra

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Awesome work and thank you for detailing part numbers and mods needed to get everything to fit.

Questions:
-Are you using the L33 ECU/Harness/Intake, or did you convert to the popular F-body/LS-x setup?
-AC/PS plans? (unless I missed something)
-Are you using the stock truck accessory drive or?

Thanks!

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I am using a PSI harness for an F-body with the T56. I like it but I am thinking about going with a BP Automotive harness because he will do custom changes for a better price. What I want to do is put the ECU under the passenger seat and right now the harness isn't long enough. Hopefully in the next year or so after I get it running I can get a custom harness with another 2ft running to the ECU so I can tuck it under the passenger seat.

I will be running all accessories. The PS is hooked up using the Driftmotion PS hose with a different connector for the pump connection. It works but is a tad too long and has a goofy twist in it. I plan on getting one made since all I need is -6AN ends to connect to the adpaters to the rack and pump. I have all the AC stuff and will be installing it and posting up pics within the next couple months.

I am using F-body accesories. The truck accessories might work but the alt sits up awful high on it. My engine came with no accessories so I went with what I knew would fit.

As soon as I get a day above freezing here I plan on pulling the engine one last time to take care of some details and then it will be a full on push to get it running and down off the jack stands. I am hoping for the end of April.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Time for an update. I pulled the engine for what I hope is the last time before the first start up. The high torque starter I was using was not cooperating. It is able to be clocked and no matter what I tried it interfered with either the crank sensor, the exhaust manifold, or the slave cylinder. I went with a stock starter and had to grind away at the bellhousing.

p1927499_1.jpg

p1927499_2.jpg

Hopefully everything will hold together.

I also strapped on the A/C compressor while she was out.

p1927499_3.jpg

p1927499_4.jpg

Last but not least I installed the LS2 corvette oil baffle. The L33 oil baffle didn't allow for the oil pick up to be bolted up correctly so for $30 I got the correct piece. No pics but I was cleaning the garage while the engine was out and was glad I stumbled across it. I also found the final heater hoses I needed and a few other odds and ends.

Hopefully the weather will stay above freezing and I can get this thing bolted back together.

Here is where the ecu will live until I can modify the harness to reach under the passenger seat. The stock ecu is a monster and won't fit behind the glove box without trimming.

p1927499_5.jpg

Pic of the engine bay and the paint repair I will need to do after coaxing the firewall into place.

p1927499_6.jpg

That is all for now. I was hoping to get more done but I broke down and replace the garage door opener in the supras stall after fighting with it for the past 6 months. Next update should be bolting everything up for the first start.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I don't think any of the fbody or GTO longtubes would work as they skew out at funky angles. The pipes need to be really tight to the engine in order to fit. I have looked at the JTR pipes for the RX7 and I am fairly certain they would work. They are pricey at ~$800 but they are well made and the RX7 guys seem to speak highly of them and they get scooped up pretty quick over at norotors.com.

turbodremz

Jul 26, 2013
Houston, TX
Being a noob here, and going the same route, I have to say you are doing this right. I am actually giving up my ls1/t56 swapped SC300 in place of a MK3. Everything is coming directly out of the SC and going in the MK3, and being that you are using alot of parts I currently have, its good knowing that it will work without modification.

Good work, look forward to seeing more. Hopefully I will have my conversion done by early to mid Oct..

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Well I started her for the first time today. I had a few issues simply because I failed to tighten down the wire to the alternator. It caused quite a bit of feedback in the system but once I figured it out everything worked.

My daughter, who is 6, has been working with me on the project. She helped me bleed the clutch and has worked on pulling wires. I had been turning the engine over with no fuel in order to get some oil primed in the system since the engine has been sitting for almost a year. I plugged in the ecu and checked a few other connections before giving her a go while my daughter was riding her bike in the driveway. She heard me start turning it over and then yelled lets her that engine roar when it came to life and she jumped back with a scream. I don't think she understood what it would sound like with open headers.

It feels pretty good to get her running again. I am going to swap out the suspension and then get her back on the ground for good for awhile. I need to get my fuel lines sorted out, having headers on both sides of the engine is a pain in the ass. Hopefully I can get the midpipe fabbed up and have this thing back on the road before winter.

I am using the hooker cast manifold headers and they fit perfectly.

turbodremz I am using the R154 bolted to the LS. The T56 is much larger and the shifter sits about 6 inches further back then the R154. Someone else on here did the swap and had to do a bit of hacking on the trans tunnel and the console to get it to fit. The only similar parts i am using is an LSx engine.

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
mighty al

do you have any pictures or measurements of underhood clearance for intake and throtte body, I havent set my engine in the bay yet however I am curious if a truck steyle intake from a trailblazer ss will fit. also if the truck style accesories will fit also. looking good and cant wait to see some vids of it running.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I haven't put my hood back on yet but I would say that the truck intake probably would not fit under the hood. My engine came with a truck intake and that SOB is tall. I went with the F-body accessories as the alternator on the truck accessories sticks up as high as the intake.

I already chucked the truck intake or I would throw it on to show how it fits.

I did do a little more clean up of details tonight. Finalized some of the engine bay wiring and figured out final placement of my fuel lines. Figured out where to put a few more ground wires and got my FPR signal line run. I just need an adapter for the signal line and it will be done.

Hopefully I can get the suspension switched out this weekend and get her back on the ground. Put the hood on and then find someplace to build a mid-pipe to finish my exhaust.

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
Ive been looking at exhasut options and I think a y pipe maybe all that fits. I want to do an xpipe with true duals but im sure space would be quite limited

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I have seen true duals done on one car. It was nice and looked like it cost a fortune.

My exhaust is done. I had a long post on it but it somehow got dropped from posting. I did a y-pipe to my HKS cat back. It looks decent and gets the job done. I like the sound too. I was worried it was going to be loud but it is very subtle.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
She is running and driving. I had the tune tweaked on the bench and hopefully it will get road tuned tomorrow.

I had a few problems with tail and dash lights not coming on and found the integration relay box to be bad. I need to pull the light for O/D on the dash as it constantly blinks at me now. I have oil pressure working but still need to get the coolant temp going and I need to connect the wires to the speed sensor in the speedo. So far the tach has been working great too.

The R-154 is working great behind the LS. I thought I would have more trouble with the new clutch system but it has worked like a dream. It is crazy how well things go when you use all new parts.

Next step will be to pull the harness back off and completely re-run it and loom everything.