John's 87 N/A where did my money go!? Build(ish)

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
I might go that route, this is going to be a long term build, not anything that is going to be done in a month. I am pulling the head either tonight, or this weekend.

CyFi6, I bought the driftmotion gasket set, it comes with a HG that does not have water jacket reinforcing, it will be a wall ornament for sure. RockAuto sells the FelPro HG for about 65 bucks. Once I get enough money to get the head rebuilt, I will get either a FelPro or OEM. I most likely will be using ARP head studs or bolts, but that will be decided at a later date.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Sorry for spreading mis-information, I always thought 7M headbolts were TTY.
I agree that ARP headstuds are not necessary for an NA.

ps- I like your seats. I intend to do the same thing next month for my maroon interior, but I'll do the reverse-
maroon seats with a black insert.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
I love the look of the seats as well, but I recommend spending the extra dough and getting genuine leather, mine are faux leather, and are not very durable at all. Where my but sits on the drivers seat is already starting to wear out.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
For any engine I build or rebuild, I prefer ARP hardware. It's a peace of mind kind of thing. Sure, it may be overkill, but at least I have that reassurance.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
I love the rear carpet, its a perfect fit, finished edges, etc. But the main passenger area carpet sucked, it was a little too short along the door sills, so it pops up all the time. I am taking the carpet from my parts car and using that, its in good shape. A buddy of mine actually painted the carpet in his 71 Nova Black, and you could never tell he did so. 3 years later it still looks great.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Thanks for the motivation. Thats what it's going to be too....piece by piece. The engine bay will be spotless when I'm done. I definitely have more time than money.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Update:
Got the head off tonight. The cylinder walls look like they have been honed, cross hatching is clearly visible, and look great. Definitely looks like a BHG though. The head needs to be cleaned and gone through. Ill let the pictures speak for themselves, and would greatly appreciate any criticism, comments, advice, etc.

Damn Crank pulley bolt was a bitch! Just wanted to get it off for now.
p1814781_1.jpg

Bottom end looks decent
p1814781_2.jpg

Head off! Dirty
p1814781_3.jpg

Head
p1814781_4.jpg

p1814781_5.jpg

#2 and #3
p1814781_6.jpg

#4 and #5
p1814781_7.jpg

#5 and #6
p1814781_8.jpg

Cylinder Walls
p1814781_9.jpg

p1814781_10.jpg

p1814781_11.jpg

I apologize for the horrible pictures, I am definitely not a photographer

Also, the pistons each have a "2" on them. Meaning of this?

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
I finally got time and ambition to work on the supra a little bit yesterday. I got the engine down to bare block. Crank looks really good. As do the cylinder walls. Plan on doing a stock rebuild. Here's just a couple pictures. I have ALOT of cleaning to do while I wait for funds to get the engine to the machine shop.
za4eta9u.jpg

The crank pulley came right off with my 20 dollar Harbor Freight puller.
me3uqeta.jpg

Timing tensioner was frozen SOLID! That can't be good....
a4epenab.jpg

Overview of garage. Propane heater does good work keeping me warm. Last night was about -20 with windchill.
tynugu6u.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
lol.
10 months later, and you just now got the engine from mostly apart to fully apart.
At least somebody has slower progress than me!
:D

Keep up the good work!

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
I am so back and forth with keeping this thing, or selling it. Now I am starting to get an itch for it again, and I am finally done with college and working full time, so funds are FINALLY there. I plan on bringing my engine to work and working on it there where its climate controlled. I got quoted $70 for the block, and $50 for the head to be cleaned by the local machine shop. Not too bad. I will have them check the crank, deck the head and hone the cylinders while they have it there. I don't think it should be too much for them to check clearances and hone cylinders. Even if they have to grind the crank, it shouldn't be too bad. Just thought I would give you guys an update on this SLOW project. I hope to have the engine to the machine shop relatively soon!

DustinS

Supramania Contributor
Oct 9, 2012
Springfield, MO
I am at the same point with my supra(sell or keep). Though every time I start thinking about, I just can't let it go. I may have only ever driven it once(technically twice), I can't wait to see where it will take me.

Good luck with your project and I can't wait to see more updates!