John's 87 N/A where did my money go!? Build(ish)

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i could help you paint the hatch and spoiler later this summer. basic white is not that expensive and i have the spray equipment. it should not cost more than 200 to paint everything for materials. you plan on coming to the suprasport spring meet? sounds like the april 16th is the tentative date.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Sweet that would be awesome. How much you think it would be to get the passenger mud guard, the front bumper, upper nose piece, and hatch/wing painted? Or is that for an entire car...?

I was planning on going to the meet but some things have come up and I don't think I will be able to make it. Are there any other meets during the summer?

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
there is usually at least one more in the fall. they seem to be getting more frequent though. is it personal issues or car troubles. im going to be driving through on my way there. i could bring you along. as for the paint work a quart of paint will cost about 200$ ready to spray with all needed.... you would be close to getting everything you need spot painted with a quart.. the whole car would need at least three quarts of color and at least a gallon of clear. you can do a single stage paint when spotting in the parts to save $$$. all depends on what kind of quality you are after on a total paint job.

i can get it color matched for around 200 but a whole car job is more than i can do in my garage. with a paint booth rental it would be about 1500 for materials an i would need some $$$ on top. im willing to help you as a friend on the smaller stuff because favors go a long way i have found.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Well its not really personal issues, or car issues. My dad is going out of town with his girlfriend and I promised to house/dog sit or them while they are gone. I just talked to him and he said if I can find someone to let the dogs out at noon, it would be no problem for me to go, as long as I am not gone forever lol.

Thanks for the offer on helping me paint man, I really appreciate it. Sometime this summer I will get in contact with you and see when works. There is a spot of bubbling rust on the fender on the passenger side. I am not sure how much work that would be but I feel it needs to be fixed. So a quart will do the front bumper, nose piece, mud guard and hatch? Ill take pictures tomorrow of what I feel needs a re-paint and post them up.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
northdakotakid;1696368 said:
Well its not really personal issues, or car issues. My dad is going out of town with his girlfriend and I promised to house/dog sit or them while they are gone. I just talked to him and he said if I can find someone to let the dogs out at noon, it would be no problem for me to go, as long as I am not gone forever lol.

Thanks for the offer on helping me paint man, I really appreciate it. Sometime this summer I will get in contact with you and see when works. There is a spot of bubbling rust on the fender on the passenger side. I am not sure how much work that would be but I feel it needs to be fixed. So a quart will do the front bumper, nose piece, mud guard and hatch? Ill take pictures tomorrow of what I feel needs a re-paint and post them up.

Bubbling? either theres rust behind the paint or brake fluid came in contact

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
I think there is rust behind the paint, but it still feels solid, so I hope its surface rust

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Sorry for the double post....But as you can see my spoiler is red, and the car is white. What do you think of sanding the wing down and just doing a spray in a black to help it not look ricey.
p1696385_1.jpg

I was thinking a satin or flat. Just till this summer when I can get white on it.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
I primed and painted the hatch today. It looks pretty good! Definitely not a great paint job, but I am happy with it, as it is only temporary.
Pictures!
p1696895_1.jpg

p1696895_2.jpg

p1696895_3.jpg

p1696895_4.jpg

p1696895_5.jpg

p1696895_6.jpg

p1696895_7.jpg

p1696895_8.jpg

Also, fixitman, here is the one spot of rust on the car...its not too big, but definitely needs to be fixed.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
I was surprised at how well the finished on the paint ended up. There are a few spots where I accidentally dinged it, and a few dust spots, but it looks a hell of a lot better than the red did.

That rust spot is always on the back of my mind, I hate rust.
Cleaned it up a bit
sm_photo_missing.jpg

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
that rust is a can of worms. it could be a simple repair. it could be a big repair. it is kinda hard to tell till you get into the repair. is it soft at all?

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Well, there is an oil leak. So I put the supra on the hoist and it looks like it is coming from the front of the pan. Going to drop the subframe and pull the pan tonight. We will see how this goes. The car came with a fel-pro oil pan gasket, should I use it? Or should I use fipg or equivalent?
Gotta love having a shop!
p1700089_1.jpg

Some (bad) pictures of under the car.
p1700089_2.jpg

p1700089_3.jpg

p1700089_4.jpg

Its hard to tell, but in the second picture, it looks as though the bottom of the intake manifold is covered in oil too. What could this be from? Leaky valve covers?

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
there was visible evidence of leakage at the front of the pan, so I am pulling it just to be sure. I have hit a snag though, on my last subframe bolt, the middle one on the drivers side, I was loosening it, and it broke free up top at the head in the engine bay. The head is so thin that I cannot get any sockets to grab hold of it. I am at a loss of what to do, as that is the only thing that is holding me up right now (literally). The nut is quite froze on the bolt too...

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i believe they are welded studs.... this seems to be a common issue on the subframes. might be a pain in the ass but you will have to cut the nut off of it, and probably replace the bolt. do you have a welder in the shop?
you could tack weld the head to the frame then get the nut off

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Finally got the bugger off. I took your advice and welded it to the bracket, hit it with an impact, and it came right off! Finally I can move onto taking the pan off.