John's 87 N/A where did my money go!? Build(ish)

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Well, I decided to start working on the Supra again, this time I have funds, and a camera. Last summer, I purchased a 1987 N/A Supra, it runs and drives great, just needs a little cosmetic help here and there. For now, I plan on keeping it N/A until I can afford to go N/A-T and do it right.

Worklist...
Interior
-New StockInteriors Black Carpet-DONE
-New Leatherette Seat Covers in Black and Burgundy-DONE
-BillyM W58 Shifter bushings-DONE
-89+ Climate Control-DONE
-New Head Unit
-De-Ghettoize wiring and put the correct Sub wiring kit in-DONE
-Clean, clean clean all interior panels-Done
-Butcher parts car for unbroken interior hatch pieces
Exterior
-NEED new front drivers and passenger side pre-89 grey mouldings, completely rusted-DONE
-Re-paint passenger mud guard
-Re-paint all window moudling
-Do something with hatch (any suggestions?)
-Lowering springs
-Wheels (XXR 502?) Eventually
Engine
-Pull head and get checked and machined
-Helicoil exhaust studs
-Fel-Pro head gasket
-ARP head studs
-Clean, Clean, Clean

Thats the tentative list...more will be added as time goes by, for now, here are some pictures, none of progress, as I forgot my camera.
p1678746_1.jpg

Interior all Stripped
p1678746_2.jpg

New shifter bushings to go in
p1678746_3.jpg

NEED new front passenger and driver trim moldings. Grey
p1678746_4.jpg

Shot of Garage
p1678746_5.jpg

New carpet from StockInteriors
p1678746_6.jpg

These need to be painted
p1678746_7.jpg

p1678746_8.jpg

Hatch Trim Removed to be Painted
p1678746_9.jpg

Previous owner shattered hatch glass, so he bought a different hatch...in a different color...with no wing...I want to go wingless, so not sure what I am going to do here.
p1678746_10.jpg

Dirty Engine Bay
p1678746_11.jpg

New Climate Control!
p1678746_12.jpg

Last edited:

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Ill be working on it tomorrow most of the night, ill remember to bring my camera for sure. I never know what to take pictures of, so I usually end up not taking many.
List of things to do tomorrow:
-Finish shifter bushing install.
-Dremel out screws for foot rest thing on left of clutch, I do not think ill be installing it once the new carpet is in.
-Remove door panels to get rid of stupid ghetto old speaker wiring. (stupid p.o.)
-Begin the long cleaning process.
-Organize....maybe...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with the hatch? Its a pearl white turbo hatch. I dont want a wing, so what do I do about the mounting holes? It is hideous the way it is now.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Working on the Supra now, the new shifter bushings are in, and holy balls does it feel amazing! I cant wait to get it back on the road and test out the "new" shifting! Starting the long and dirty clean up process. God the floor is such a fricken mess. I took pictures but my camera died, ill try to remember to put pictures up tomorrow.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
I am fitting the carpet right now, its a pain in the ass thats for sure. The fit is relatively "good", but its definitely not as good as the stock carpet. I think with some more cutting, and alot more patience, it will work out quite well. The main thing I am worried about is how I am going to secure it to the door rails. I think I might have to somehow salvage the old plastic retaining clips on the old carpet and re-staple them to the new carpet. Right now, its a matter of how well I can cut it on the edges.

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Well not too much progress, college, strep throat, double ear infection, and viral pink eye has hampered my progress lately, but I finally received my seat covers, and got the carpet mostly installed. The goal is to get it all complete and back on the road by the end of the week.

Last edited:

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
The Supra is finally back on the road! Man does it feel good to be back behind the wheel. Finally got around to installing the rear hatch trim, 3rd brake light, and various other things. I got a bunch of pictures, so ill let them do the talking.
Harbor Freight is my Hero
p1695915_1.jpg

New seats! I am very pleased with how they turned out.
p1695915_2.jpg

p1695915_3.jpg

p1695915_4.jpg

p1695915_5.jpg

p1695915_6.jpg

Decided to install my sub the right way this time. Last summer I used random wire I found around the shop, and just made it work...didn't sound too great. I got this amp and sub for free, and I am very impressed with how it sounds.
p1695915_7.jpg

Nice little hole already in the firewall
p1695915_8.jpg

What a mess
p1695915_9.jpg

Amp...
p1695915_10.jpg

That's Better!
p1695915_11.jpg

First drive of the year!
p1695915_12.jpg

p1695915_13.jpg

I thought I would throw up some pictures of my parts car....1987 rod-knock turbo...
p1695915_14.jpg

p1695915_15.jpg

So the Supra is on the road, eating my money and I am loving every minute of it! I still need to get the carpet fully secured under the door sills, and do some other odds and ends, but so far I am very happy with the progress I have made on my tight little college budget. I will keep updating this as updates happen.

And to close, here is a picture of a '65 Baja that my dad built in the late 80s. Unfortunately he sold it, and since that day I have made a vow to myself that I will build another before I die.
p1695915_16.jpg

Last edited:

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Honestly that parts car looks like it could get back on the road...

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Oh & how much this the seats repair cost? or did they come with the parts car

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Thanks for the kind words. I got the seat covers on ebay from ebay seller IC-0801. He was very easy to work with and let me order the seats just how I wanted them. Shipping is slow as it is USPS from China, not Texas as stated on eBay. I paid 300 big ones for the complete set. Money well worth it in my opinion.

As for the parts car, its in far worse shape than the pictures show, definitely fixable yes, but there are rust issues, interior is shot, etc. The main thing holding it back is the spun rod bearing in the motor. I plan on rebuilding it once I get the cheddar to do it right, but for now, I will just rob parts off of it.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
northdakotakid;1695986 said:
Thanks for the kind words. I got the seat covers on ebay from ebay seller IC-0801. He was very easy to work with and let me order the seats just how I wanted them. Shipping is slow as it is USPS from China, not Texas as stated on eBay. I paid 300 big ones for the complete set. Money well worth it in my opinion.

As for the parts car, its in far worse shape than the pictures show, definitely fixable yes, but there are rust issues, interior is shot, etc. The main thing holding it back is the spun rod bearing in the motor. I plan on rebuilding it once I get the cheddar to do it right, but for now, I will just rob parts off of it.

SEAT COVERS?...

i see, better fix them rust issues! & i feel ya on da cheddar part. lol

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
Yepp, they are OEM fit seat covers. Take off the old cloth, buy about a 100 hog rings, and spend about a full day putting new material on. It is kind of a pain in the ass, but definitely worth it!

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
northdakotakid;1695996 said:
Yepp, they are OEM fit seat covers. Take off the old cloth, buy about a 100 hog rings, and spend about a full day putting new material on. It is kind of a pain in the ass, but definitely worth it!

Ohh NOT Seat covers. lol seat covers go over the cloth/ leather.. & yes i know its defitenatly worth it. I want to show off my seats but theyre all torn up so no point in doing that... lol so $300? two tone? thats awesome man!

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
that parts car has some big rust issues if i remember right. looks pretty good wet though. i like the white car dude. its lookin pretty good. now swap the turbo stuff to it and you have a car!

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
The seats did come with the option of heaters, but I chose not to go with that. The only things the set came with were both front seats the the rear, nothing else. Here is a link to the sale... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...p5197Q2em7QQcategoryZ33702QQitemZ270730400875

Thanks fixitman, sometime Ill have to come up to Forks and let you see it.

I took a couple more parts off the parts car. First off I KNOW that the wing is red, but the PO put a turbo hatch on my car, so it had the mounting holes there and it was looking ugly. This way I have more incentive to get it painted. Besides, I do not think it looks that horrible anyway. I also took the shitty broken front lip off, it looks nicer without it now.
Pics...
Some more of the parts car
p1696160_1.jpg

p1696160_2.jpg

p1696160_3.jpg

p1696160_4.jpg

p1696160_5.jpg

"photo shoot" if you want to call it that. Never mind the dirtiness of the car.
p1696160_6.jpg

p1696160_7.jpg

p1696160_8.jpg

p1696160_9.jpg

Also, fixitman, I plan on rebuilding the Turbo Motor whenever money decides to become friends with me. Hopefully soon.