jdmfreak's A NEW BEGINNING (BUILD THREAD)

Faye

where's my tiara?
Apr 30, 2013
San Antonio, TX
www.youtube.com
Really enjoying watching you piece all of this together :) Never seen anyone actually build their own computer, that's super Badass. Hope you make your goal of this Spring!!!! Keep it up!

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I'm hoping :) waiting on my next paycheck for now.... I picked up a weekend job this last month to help pay for parts and just lined up a bunch of side work for December

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Here is how she sits now
And pics of the shop
aranu2ab.jpg

2y4a7ary.jpg

tamepa6y.jpg

abany9av.jpg

a9e3y2ag.jpg

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Nice. I'm planning on doing the same as a half step to going turbo. I might retain the NA intake as it is supposed to help with torque and run a COP ignition.

I imagine you had to swap to a turbo engine harness too, right? Anything else I should know?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Yes I used turbo ecu and harness

the problem differences are n/a block only has one hole for a knock sensor while the turbo computer wants to see 2knock sensors

, injectors are different sizes and are matched to the afm so make sure if you are using a turbo afm you are using 440 injectors ect

Also you shouldn't have a problem with cop setup but I used turbo Intake because I was using stock coils and wanted to mount them like stock however
the cam covers are different between n/a and turbo

other that that a few sensors will have different plugs

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Hey i would appreciate some advice

Alright so here is an idea I had ever been tossing around in my head let me know what you guys think.... It will take me at least 4 months to save up to build the engine correctly
Would I be wise to buy a na-t oil line kit install everything I have so far and turbo the na in the meantime??
I would not only be able to get some much needed tuning practice on a block that I don't care much about but I would also possibly be able to work out kinks in the system before dropping the upgraded engine in the car.... Or should I just be patient and wait till I have the built block before touching anything???

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
If you have it, I would experiment around with it right now. That way you will be a bit more patient with building the new motor. Just be a bit more conservative with the timing, since the NA is higher compression and doesn't have oil cooled pistons.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Awesome just the guy I was hoping would respond :) thanks
conservative timing and boost will be a must the na engine runs good now was rebuilt at some point before I got it and I double checked the head and it is torqued to or past 76ftlb

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
No problem dude! If it helps, I can screenshot my conservative timing table and send it to you. The more aggressive one is tuned to my knock sensors. I would really advise to hook up your knock sensors to megasquirt though. I have an aggressive timing map now, but if it senses knock, it pulls timing waaaay back! I believe with megasquirt you have to run an external conditioner though. I haven't researched too much with MS3 but with MS2, it didn't have onboard conditioning circuitry.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
What about running LS1 coils? They are internally triggered, so the 5v TTL output from megasquirt can drive the built in ignitors no problem.
P1020490.jpg
I grabbed that image from post 699 of the elite engine bay thread. It is just really well put together.

Edit: LS2 coils.

Last edited: