Jake's mkIII V8 killer

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
funky_monkey58;1391869 said:
We really should make a trophy out of all our broken supra parts.

So did you learn anything from this Jake?

You sound like my dad...

Yes I did.
1 take your time
2 Ignition is important
3 Mafpro isnt enough for my car
4 Owning a Supra is like buying a metal can to throw flaming money into and watch it go up in smoke

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
With round 2 make sure you have a good connection with your knock sensors. They will save you from detonation. As well there is no replacement for being able to load the engine on a dyno and stand above it listening for detonation. Those plugs were our first warning sign.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
funky_monkey58;1391900 said:
With round 2 make sure you have a good connection with your knock sensors. They will save you from detonation. As well there is no replacement for being able to load the engine on a dyno and stand above it listening for detonation. Those plugs were our first warning sign.

I know that one of the broken plugs was out of 2 but not sure if it was out of 5 also

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jake: This thread serves to highlight an issue on SupraMania that the staff have been trying without success to stamp out. (this is why so many here see us as Nazi's in the tech areas)

There are a LOT of people here giving advice that need to take an extra big helping of STFU as most of them have barely had a Mk3 running at stock+100rwhp let alone 500+rwhp.

It's a whole different ball game getting an engine to live at those sorts of outputs and as you've found near enough doesn't cut it.

My first question would have to be what were the AIT's at your daily boost levels?

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
IJ.;1391943 said:
It's a whole different ball game getting an engine to live at those sorts of outputs and as you've found near enough doesn't cut it.

true dat, and its more money for your fire pit you started previously :biglaugh: and remember that making things overkill wont hurt, and i speak of supporting mods. like i doubt ill ever use my A1000 fuel pump to its full. but i know that if i need the extra fuel i have the pump to do the job later on :)

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
IJ.;1391943 said:
Jake: This thread serves to highlight an issue on SupraMania that the staff have been trying without success to stamp out. (this is why so many here see us as Nazi's in the tech areas)

There are a LOT of people here giving advice that need to take an extra big helping of STFU as most of them have barely had a Mk3 running at stock+100rwhp let alone 500+rwhp.

My first question would have to be what were the AIT's at your daily boost levels?

There were a couple of issues I saw on Jakes car.

1.The size of turbo he is running is so large for the factory manifold that it was impossible to regulate boost below 16>19psi with the internal gate. (this could have just been a fault on the ribbing design on the housing)
2. The Ait sensor was not hooked into the piping nor the manifold running the maft pro. Just atmosphere of the engine bay.

There just isn't enough that can be said about having a good tune.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
IJ.;1391983 said:
AIT set up like that will be 99% of why it died....

there will be NO accurate compensations being applied for fuel or ignition as the charge temp increases. :nono:

I in the end did have it hooked in. (sean i put in it in right next to the BOV just after you saw the car) IJ you are thinking that the AIT could have been totally to blame for the whole thing... in turn my dumb and lazy mistake?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Well normally you'd run some specific compensations to cope with any temp rise in the intake, these in turn keep the engine out of that detonation range and with luck it survives.

You have to look at it as a 3.0L race engine once you get over 400+rwhp, everyone seems really blase about this fact (most of them are building grenades that last 5>5 hard pulls then self destruct and wonder why)

The smallest thing wrong will KILL a 7M dead at that sort of power level, while piggybacks can and do work they do it by fooling the stock ECU and lying to it so you don't have any real control over it.

I'm not slapping you in this just the community in general, there's a HUGE difference in an engine that makes xxxrwhp once or twice and a car that makes that power reliably until it's actually worn out.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
broken ring land, no AIT comp.

concurr with Ian on all fronts. All the well wishers and dreamers want power. making it reliably day in and out is a different thing then making it last 5-10 pulls.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
Nope IJ they were Wiseco. I appreciate all of the criticism. It helps me figure what i did wrong and what i need to to better next time.

Like Sean said to me one time and all of you can agree. Read and read and read some more on here because it has been done by some poor person before.

I pulled the rest of the pistons out of the block all of them are going to be turned into paper weighs now. Along with my old knock sensors. I am not going to risk anything of this sorts again. New bearings as a safety line. Mafpro piggy back is up for sale if anyone wants a learning experience also. I have been thinking that I will not have the car running until next spring due to that fact this go around NOTHING is going to be rushed and NOTHING is going to be half assed together.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
My dead thread is almost as bad as my dead car. I havent been very motivated to work on it at all lately. BUT this weekend Suprasport had a supra show and it gave me a kick in the pants to get back at it again. Later that day when down to University Ave then to some races and remembered the name of my thread, now I cant wait to tear apart some Mustangs and Camaros