Jake's mkIII V8 killer

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
scubajtw;1391207 said:
Well i got the motor out, apart, and now am pissed. My head looks like someone took a sand blaster to it and ate away at part of it in the combustion chamber. I am heading out with my camera right now.
Get those pics up punk.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
IJ.;1391211 said:
So does it kill V8's by suiciding and falling on them? ;)

yeah yeah. most likely. it was hella fast for a short time. IJ if you have a moment to take a look at the pictures that i will soon post and offer your thoughts besides just terrible that would be great.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
So this is what the head looks like the pics are of number 5 cylinder that had only 20 psi compression

p1391409_1.jpg

p1391409_2.jpg

p1391409_3.jpg

now this is cylinder 2. They all look the same as this

p1391409_4.jpg

p1391409_5.jpg

I am lost on what totally happened. Looks like detonation but really to do that?!? I have never seen such a thing.

Also keep in mind I have less then 2000 miles on this motor since it was just rebuilt. The head looked like new when i got it back from the machine shop. Resurfaced and everything.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
Looks like really lean conditions.

I have a good head for you if you need Jake as well as a std bore block if your pistons are reuseable you could have the block I have bored to size. I also have a .20 over block that would need a hone.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Do you have direct port sand injection? jk, Im with Sean here looks like you were running pretty lean Some time in there. To much boost and not enough fuel./ Sucks to read and see men :cry:.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
Sean i have a different head also. i am going to have to take a piston or 6 out and see what they look like. I will hopefully be able to reuse the block with a good hone job.

I dont get the lean tho. i was under 11:1 afr most of the time under 10:1 why would this give me a bad compression reading tho. Unless i had a dead miss making it seem more rich then it really was.

I am really thinking that Sean may be right. Looks like i might have to be calling Jack and seeing what an AEM goes for. Then having DB make it fast.

Also on a side note my dad is pushing me again to get rid of the 87 targa, errrr, any parts on that are up for bid, grab and so on.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
When you go AEM there is a few little things you can do that are fairly inexpensive to make it a bit more reliable and stable on the injection and ignition side of things. All of which has been covered here on the boards, and I can help you with it if need be. My supra runs sequential fuel injection and has no multiplexing bs going on.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Did you log your A/F ? It only takes a split second. I doubt what ever gauge you have can display it that fast. Also has you A/F gauge been calbrated on the dyno? I know when we were at DB with Dan's 2 jz his was reading over 2 pts. off at first ;) His would be reading 14 ish on idle and DB's was well over 16. Same followed for the dyno pulls. I think Shane now has the A/F gauge reading pretty close now. So if you think of it and your is like Dan's (AEM) if under boost it shows 10-11 it really could be 12-13.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
I am pretty sure my AF gauge can keep up alright. It is the same as the one Shane is using i believe. No i didnt log any of the pulls. I am going to have to look at it more tonight and tomorrow do some thinking and measuring. Then I am thinking back to the machine shop again. any ideas guys on where to go? Sean what was that nice one you brought your injectors to? Link?

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
IJ.;1391671 said:
Jake: Another pic of the top of the piston from that cylinder please.

This is cylinder 5

p1391699_1.jpg

p1391699_2.jpg

I also took a few of cylinder 1 to compare them to. The Look almost identical all of the way down the row

p1391699_3.jpg

p1391699_4.jpg

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
IJ.;1391704 said:
Doesn't look too lean, more like incipient detonation for quite a long time.

That is what I was thinking. I never saw it go lean. Pretty sure it is time to throw a new head on there and a different way of controlling timing... ie AEM. also gotta get the bigger injectors for e85 that should help keep knocking to a minimum, i hope.

scubajtw

SupraSport
Mar 6, 2008
Minnesota
IJ.;1391717 said:
I'd be a little concerned about the condition of the Ring Lands if it were my engine.

I am concerned about that also. Just didnt want to admit it to myself. :icon_mad:

Trashed totally. #5 upper ring was in 5 peices, lower compression ring was welded in place.

I didnt want to admit to myself that i was going to need new pistons along with something to keep it from happening again. :cry:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I had an end gap close up a couple of years back that took out #6 on my then brand new block so I can feel your pain.

I just mentioned the Ring Lands as I'd be VERY surprised if it hadn't hurt other parts after rattling that badly for that long!
(next thing I'd check would be Big End bearings)