Its finally here! (Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86)

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
mecevans;1782472 said:
Another teaser............

original.jpg

I am pretty sure this is the new 1.6l turbo motor. They had pics of the new boxer diesel next to this one also.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MightyAl;1782485 said:
Sorry this is not the BRZ GT300 but the Legacy GT300. From my understanding the Legacy GT300 is AWD. Mind you I did read it on the interwebs.

http://www.subaru-msm.com/global/sgt2009/imgs/09015_2.jpg

Found this too stating that the 2009 entry was AWD also. It would seem most of subaru's GT300 entries have been AWD

http://www.lincah.com/2009-subaru-legacy-b4-gt300

This article also states the 2011 Lagacy car is AWD also:

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/51980/subaru-liberty-b4-gt300-race-car-heading-to-melbourne
Ahh, I meant no offense sir, I was unaware that they even campaigned the Legacy in racing. Far as I knew, the WRX was the only one in Super GT, and it had to be RWD to conform to that particular series' regulations. Same with the Skylines, they no longer use AWD for the Super GT/JGTC racing. No worries though, I was just very confused as to how you would route power to the front wheels OVER the engine. I've seen cars that run things in/through/around the oil pain before, but never over...

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
te72;1782693 said:
Ahh, I meant no offense sir, I was unaware that they even campaigned the Legacy in racing. Far as I knew, the WRX was the only one in Super GT, and it had to be RWD to conform to that particular series' regulations. Same with the Skylines, they no longer use AWD for the Super GT/JGTC racing. No worries though, I was just very confused as to how you would route power to the front wheels OVER the engine. I've seen cars that run things in/through/around the oil pain before, but never over...

No offense taken. Well at first I was offended then I remembered that you weren't personally attacking me. It is all good. I was just as surprised to see an AWD car campaigned in the GT300 and GT500 series. The boxer engine makes it so that the top of the motor has to be less then 12" from the ground. Makes for an amazing CoG.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IBoughtASupra;1844286 said:
I'd wait and see if they make a turbo version.

Sorry if I missed when they said they won't.

Agreed. 200 hp is a little weak. bump that to 250-300 with great response with a sub 30k pricetag and I *might* have to consider financing a car for the first time.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mkiiichip;1844094 said:
Now, its finally here.
Unfortunately, not here though. I'd have to drive at least 3 hours to even test drive one. I want to though, just to see if they got it right by my book.

suprarx7nut;1844333 said:
Agreed. 200 hp is a little weak. bump that to 250-300 with great response with a sub 30k pricetag and I *might* have to consider financing a car for the first time.
Even then, I have one argument for a car that handles as good, and would be as fast in a straight line, but you won't see many of them in your town:

NSX.

That is the argument that has pretty much put a stop to serious thought on this car for me, for that kind of money, you can get an NSX, which, let's not kid ourselves... much cooler. :)

Edit: However, to finance an NSX, you would probably need better credit than you would to finance an FR-S or BRZ...

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
mecevans;1844285 said:
Yep friend of mine has been doing PDI's on them all week. : ) . Have you test driven one yet?

Nah I wont get to drive one until something breaks. I did sit in it though, and i am disappointed, its to small. i am 6'2" 190lbs, with the seat all the way back and the wheel all the way up, its driveable, but not comfortable, at all. Helmet is out of the question. Like i said i am disappointed.

te72;1844414 said:
Unfortunately, not here though. I'd have to drive at least 3 hours to even test drive one. I want to though, just to see if they got it right by my book.

Even then, I have one argument for a car that handles as good, and would be as fast in a straight line, but you won't see many of them in your town:

NSX.

That is the argument that has pretty much put a stop to serious thought on this car for me, for that kind of money, you can get an NSX, which, let's not kid ourselves... much cooler. :)

Edit: However, to finance an NSX, you would probably need better credit than you would to finance an FR-S or BRZ...

I would wait for a while before you make the 3 hr trip, the two we had in stock and the batch we get next week, are all sold.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
te72;1844414 said:

NSX.

Agreed x 100. Nsx is my realistic dream car. They are easy to come by clean 1st gens for ~25k, 2nd for 40-50k. Problem is though, financing a car that old is VERY tough and generally very pricey.

If I could finance a 25k nsx at 1% or something i'd start saving today for a good downpayment. Realistically it'd be closer to 15%. :(

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
The JDM legacy already has a turbo version of the FA20. Direct injection, twin scroll, 290hp 280tq by 2000rpm. Honestly i think a turbo will ruin this car. Na or supercharged for reponse. It already makes 100hp/L! It will smoke an na supra. I just bought the lady a metro conertable that has 50hp. That thing is a blast!

http://www.subaru.jp/legacy/dit/performance/

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
mecevans;1845082 said:
The JDM legacy already has a turbo version of the FA20. Direct injection, twin scroll, 290hp 280tq by 2000rpm. Honestly i think a turbo will ruin this car. Na or supercharged for reponse. It already makes 100hp/L! It will smoke an na supra. I just bought the lady a metro conertable that has 50hp. That thing is a blast!

http://www.subaru.jp/legacy/dit/performance/

Sure about that?
Frs - 150 ft lbs of torque.
Na supra 200 ft lbs of torque.

Frs may be lighter, but it's also much, much weaker.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
suprarx7nut;1845099 said:
Damn, I think you guys are right! Motor trend has it at 0-60 in 6.2. That's a second or two faster than an na, I believe.

Saw a white one being test driven today. it was the suburu version but it was gorgeous

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mkiiichip;1845042 said:
Nah I wont get to drive one until something breaks. I did sit in it though, and i am disappointed, its to small. i am 6'2" 190lbs, with the seat all the way back and the wheel all the way up, its driveable, but not comfortable, at all. Helmet is out of the question. Like i said i am disappointed.

I would wait for a while before you make the 3 hr trip, the two we had in stock and the batch we get next week, are all sold.
I would have thought they'd have more room than that, I've seen people your size driving Miatas with the roof up, although there are a couple seat rail mods for them as well...

As for test driving one, I'll just wait until one is at a local dealer to test drive one. If I end up liking it that much, I'd just buy one at a Scion dealer, you'd pay more used around here, more than likely.

suprarx7nut;1845076 said:
Agreed x 100. Nsx is my realistic dream car. They are easy to come by clean 1st gens for ~25k, 2nd for 40-50k. Problem is though, financing a car that old is VERY tough and generally very pricey.

If I could finance a 25k nsx at 1% or something i'd start saving today for a good downpayment. Realistically it'd be closer to 15%. :(
Pretty much same here. I'm not *too* worried about financing, I'll be doing what I can to put down at least 10k if I do go through with that route. As for interest pricing, it's like plates, which here in Wyoming tend to be WAY overpriced. Buddy of mine says, "what the fuck do you care, you're driving an NSX?" :p

suprarx7nut;1845099 said:
Damn, I think you guys are right! Motor trend has it at 0-60 in 6.2. That's a second or two faster than an na, I believe.
Gearing, weight, and modern technology for ya there... I'm not at all surprised.