Its finally here! (Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86)

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
For some reason I just dont like the H4 motor design. Otherwise I like the car.

If it had another 100 hp and was under 35k fully loaded I might consider buying a slightly used one in a few years.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Its so nice!! I want one!! lol They wont turbo this thing with the AE86 & 2000GT in mind it'll stay NA. Adding a turbo will raise the price significantly and their goal is to give a peoples cars to people at an affordable price

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
OneJArpus;1780613 said:
Its so nice!! I want one!! lol They wont turbo this thing with the AE86 & 2000GT in mind it'll stay NA. Adding a turbo will raise the price significantly and their goal is to give a peoples cars to people at an affordable price

A trd option turbo kit would be great. They offer turbo or superchargers for many of their current models in a trd option.

I think another 75 HP/tq in a factory option for another $4-5k would be a great offering and would broaden the market for these. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
gurley0916;1780650 said:
Give it a year before a 2j appears in one lol.
A year? 6 months, if it hasn't already happened. Gonna take a BIG hammer from the looks of things though...

As for the car, we'll see. I loved driving my old TE72 Corolla, loved driving the Miatas, and this looks like the next in line for 'cheap and fun' cars. I'll test drive one if I see one at a dealer other than our local Toyota place. Only thing is, at this elevation, you're either turbo, large displacement, or slow. If I still lived in AZ, I'd be all over one of these if I were in the market for a new car.

Still... wanting to test drive. See so many comments about the numbers, and people just don't seem to understand that numbers do NOT add up to the whole package. If they did, Mazda would have sold about 12,000 Miatas in the last 20 years, not the couple million that they have. Fun to drive is what MAKES a car, and I'm sure i don't need to explain the 'slow-car-fast' idea to anyone, do I? :)

WI88Supra;1780653 said:
I like the car but I fucking hate that Subaru motor.
So replace it with a Porche engine. ;)

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
WI88Supra;1780653 said:
I like the car but I fucking hate that Subaru motor.

Good thing it has a TOYOTA motor. :)

Toyota have made boxer engines before, and they have already been in the new forester for about 2 years. They added dual VVT-I and the direct injection fuel system. Something i doubt Subaru could do themselves.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
te72;1780687 said:
A year? 6 months, if it hasn't already happened. Gonna take a BIG hammer from the looks of things though...

Insurance job after getting the 86, then buy it back from the insurance and do what you want to it!

Pretty simple, seen it happen before.

Last edited:

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
This has got to be one of the best collaborations EVER, from a marketing and consumer standpoint. Deciding which on to get will be down to service, styling, brand loyalty, or factory tuned packages.

What will be weird is that TRD part will work with the BRZ and STI parts will fit the 86. Company's that normally tune and create parts for Subaru's can work on the 86, and vise versa. Aftermarket support will be huge! Imagine 86/BRZ car meets? How about a new class of racing?

You could like the styling of the 86, have it serviced at Subaru, use Cosworth parts and have it tuned at Driftmotion 0.o

Last edited:

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Subaru is releasing their version also. My two favorite automakers in collaboration, I think I am in love. Still have to wait to drive one, before I decide.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
looks sick not worried about price. A lot of new cars are over priced but this car is something that i would buy just for a dd if i had the right job

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I like it quite a bit, looking forward to driving one. The boxer is different for Toyota lately (they've used them in the past), but I don't mind. The engine was designed by both companies, and isn't the same as any other Subaru or Toyota engine. It uses Toyota's D4-S system with a square design (86.0 x 86.0mm Bore/Stroke just like the 3S/2JZ). I find the car very appealing from almost all standpoints. When I was looking at getting my IS250, I had to think hard about whether or not to wait for the 86/FR-S or just get the IS. I figured (and still do), that even once the 86 comes out, I'd still rather have the IS. But, that doesn't mean I'm not excited to take it for a spin!

It's still a possibility.

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mkiiichip;1780824 said:
Subaru is releasing their version also. My two favorite automakers in collaboration, I think I am in love. Still have to wait to drive one, before I decide.
I don't see how they could get it wrong, to be honest... both companies KNOW how to build fun cars, and have done so in the past. I think we all owe Akio Toyoda a high five, you know he had to have helped pressure the rest of the company to get this out as more than just a concept...

dubsupra209;1780875 said:
looks sick not worried about price. A lot of new cars are over priced but this car is something that i would buy just for a dd if i had the right job
Being that it's likely going to be marketed as a Scion here, does Scion's pricing policy still apply? If it weren't for that, I can only imagine the gouging that would (will?) happen with this car.

Jeff Lange;1780914 said:
I like it quite a bit, looking forward to driving one. The boxer is different for Toyota lately (they've used them in the past), but I don't mind. The engine was designed by both companies, and isn't the same as any other Subaru or Toyota engine. It uses Toyota's D4-S system with a square design (86.0 x 86.0mm Bore/Stroke just like the 3S/2JZ). I find the car very appealing from almost all standpoints. When I was looking at getting my IS250, I had to think hard about whether or not to wait for the 86/FR-S or just get the IS. I figured (and still do), that even once the 86 comes out, I'd still rather have the IS. But, that doesn't mean I'm not excited to take it for a spin!

It's still a possibility.

Jeff
I saw an interesting overlay picture on Jalopnik, with the Mustang GT, Genesis Coupe, Miata, and FR-S/BRZ. I can't wait to see one in person, just to get a sense of scale. They look big, but I suspect they'll be a proper compact sports car. Very looking forward to getting to test one out myself. I'm leaning toward an NSX in a couple years, but who knows...

One thing that I have yet to see ANYONE ask, is about the power, or more specifically, HOW the power is delivered. With the D4-S system in place, compression is what on these things? I know the D4 JZ engine had 11-11.3:1 compression. I believe Mazda's Skyactiv engines are even higher compression. How then, is a 2.0l engine with that high of compression making ONLY 197hp? Either it's getting AWESOME mileage, or it's a bit underrated perhaps? I mean, it seems the benchmark of the 2.0l class is still the F20C, at 240hp. What's stopping Toyota/Subaru here? I see good things in a future tuned by Cosworth...

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
The car is only 10" or so longer than the miata but its REALLY wide. Compression is at about 12.5:1. A free flowing intake/exhaust and a tune (A/F and duall VVT-i) will probably yield good results. The car has wide-band type fuel control so it will make it easy.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
A little bit disappointed with the Scion FR-S interior compared to the GT 86, the loss of some of the niceties is probably due to it being a Scion and likely a lower price point, but I hope they release a "Sports" model or something which brings some of those elements over (Auto Climate, Dual Zone Climate, Smart Key, etc.).

This is of course based on the fact that we saw the nicer models first, and it is in no way something new or unexpected. Take pretty much any car on the road and find another country where they sell it and you'll find features you'd rather have. It's always been the case. The changes to the FR-S put it more in line with what other Scion models are, and for that matter other Toyota/Lexus models as well. Many "niceties" on cars sold in Europe or Japan are dropped when the model is brought to North America.

Looking forward to the Release Series FR-S though, it might put back some of the nice features I think would be nice to have. The tC RS7.0 added Smart Key and some other cool stuff that I'd like to see on the RS1.0 FR-S.

Jeff

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I'm looking forward to test driving one as well, it maybe a good trade for my wrx, but I do love my awd turbo's so maybe my Celica would be a better trade... ;)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk