Its finally here! (Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86)

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
damn looking at this more the more and more i like it..

how much are they starting at does any1 know for the usdm models?

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Toyota has already giving tuner shops production models in advance to begin making aftermarket parts. It has factory rolled fenders and other design features with aftermarket modification in mind.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011/12/01/car-spotlight-gt-gt-modified-scion-fr-s-by-greddy-b.aspx

IMG_0171.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Zerocool;1781267 said:
I'm looking forward to test driving one as well, it maybe a good trade for my wrx, but I do love my awd turbo's so maybe my Celica would be a better trade... ;)
This thing is essentially a modern interpretation of the original Celica, I say go for it. The auto killed your GT-S's fun factor anyway. :p

dubsupra209;1781317 said:
how much are they starting at does any1 know for the usdm models?
We should find out sooner than later. Jalopnik posted more details of the official production Scion version this morning. I like that they went with a 'normal' taillight design, I wasn't digging the clear/silver ones at all.

Hmm... this thing... or NSX? Either one is roughly in the same price range. I don't need a warranty, both would be a blast to drive I imagine... high altitude kinda requires more power though. The NSX is quite a lot more powerful (so far), and doesn't weigh enough to kill the fun, and they only made something like 8900 of them in 15 years... Hmm. Despite all my arguments for the Honda, the FR-S is STILL very much on my mind. I would almost buy one just to encourage automakers to build MORE of this sort of thing, despite my taste for semi-rare cars and knowing full well this thing will sell like lemonade on a hot day...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Another thing about this I realized yesterday... well, a couple things really:

-This is THE car of the decade. If you look back, each decade pretty much had an "it" car. 50's, one could argue that the Bel-Air was it. The 60's, it was undeniably the Mustang. The 70's had the 240z. The 80's had the C4 Vette (not cheap, but was a good sign of performance cars returning to the market). The 90's had the Miata and the 240sx, even if both of them debuted as '89 models. The 2000's decade, I have a hard time picking that ONE special car of the decade, Rx8, perhaps... was a pretty slow decade for the enthusiast market. All of these cars had a few things in common. They gave you everything you needed, and nothing you didn't. They had style, they were fun to drive (all for different reasons), and most importantly, they were ACCESSIBLE. It was a purchase of emotion, not logic in most cases, and they were ALL game changers in their own right.

To our decade, to this generation of enthusiasts, the FR-S/GT86/BRZ is THAT car.

-Subaru might be shooting themselves in the foot in the US market. Where Scion has their Pure Pricing policy, Subaru has no such thing. Nothing sets the Subaru apart mechanically on this car, but you KNOW demand for this car is going to be through the ceiling. What is to stop Subaru dealers from marking it up to insane prices? From what I see, nothing. You'd have to be the world's biggest Subaru nut-swinging dumbass to pay more than the Scion MSRP for the Subaru version as things are. Maybe I'm looking into the business side of it too much, but that's what I do as a job, try to price things to get business. Unless they enact a strict pricing policy on their dealers here, I suspect they will lose sales to Scion, and they have a lot at stake here. Thoughts?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Link fails for me as well. 12.5:1 really isn't all that high of compression for a direct injection fuel delivery. Hell, it was common to run that high back in the late 60's, but they had leaded fuel. Now, if this car is running 12.5:1 compression AND running on 87 octane fuel, that would be pretty sweet, particularly for someone who commutes a lot. Like I mentioned earlier, Mazda's Skyactiv engines run even higher compressions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKYACTIV

Now, something to take away from this idea? Perhaps they really ARE planning on boost for the Scion/Subaru here. 12.5 compression and a reasonable size turbo would make this car quite the smile inducing machine.

Another thing I'm concerned about is gearing. 200hp is NOT enough to make fun of a car that can do 70-80mph in 2nd gear like a Supra with 400hp is. Get this thing to have a top speed of about 140 (to give room for turbo power top end), and gear it nicely between the top 5 gears, and you'll have a perfect canyon carver. ;)

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Alright ladies here is the link to the thread at ft-86club.com

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2588

It discusses the TRD supercharger developement.

The thing is that this car will weigh in at 2700lbs and change. That is nearly 1000lbs lighter then the Mk3 supra. It should be a very fun car right out of the box as most of the reviews are leaning and at a sticker of $25k or so it is far cheaper then the supra ever was. On top of that with the direct injection it is pointing towards a 40+ mixed mpg. I really don't want to buy one but I think after one test drive it will be difficult not to.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
12.5:1 isn't very high at all. Direct injection can add fuel at the last possible second so there's no threat of detonation. Toyota might have just done this to give themself a safety net or because the engine internals are not strong enough. I do have a feeling the factory rotating assembly with be forged though.....

The most fun i had in my supra was when it was N/A. I could drive aggressively without fear of cops or having to check my speed constantly.

EDIT:

Check out the coated skirts. Looks like it has variable intake runners too.

2013-Subaru-BRZ-Engine.jpg

Dont know if this is fake or not.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I'm kind of torn on the subject... Especially since Subaru's version is better.

Very sharp looking car, though. Nice Subaru STi wing on the back of it, too. ;-)

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
Awesome find Jeff. I hadn't seen that video yet.

The Subaru BRZ GT300 is an awesome car. It is an AWD car and the engine is so low and set so far back that the front driveshaft goes over the engine. That is one low CoG even for a race car. Man I love these cars more and more every day.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mecevans;1781889 said:
The most fun i had in my supra was when it was N/A. I could drive aggressively without fear of cops or having to check my speed constantly.
Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, "slow car fast" is more fun on a daily basis than "fast car slow". ;)

Boost Lee;1781900 said:
I'm kind of torn on the subject... Especially since Subaru's version is better.

Very sharp looking car, though. Nice Subaru STi wing on the back of it, too. ;-)
How is the Subaru any different? I haven't seen any particular details that separate them. You sir, seem to have a test of loyalty ahead of you haha. :p

MightyAl;1782010 said:
The Subaru BRZ GT300 is an awesome car. It is an AWD car and the engine is so low and set so far back that the front driveshaft goes over the engine. That is one low CoG even for a race car. Man I love these cars more and more every day.
Errr... what? Where have you seen anything suggesting that this is at all an AWD car? :dunno:

For what it's worth, Subaru's previous GT300 entries have been RWD only... it's part of the regulations for that series. RWD only.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
te72;1782347 said:
Errr... what? Where have you seen anything suggesting that this is at all an AWD car? :dunno:

For what it's worth, Subaru's previous GT300 entries have been RWD only... it's part of the regulations for that series. RWD only.

Sorry this is not the BRZ GT300 but the Legacy GT300. From my understanding the Legacy GT300 is AWD. Mind you I did read it on the interwebs.

http://www.subaru-msm.com/global/sgt2009/imgs/09015_2.jpg

Found this too stating that the 2009 entry was AWD also. It would seem most of subaru's GT300 entries have been AWD

http://www.lincah.com/2009-subaru-legacy-b4-gt300

This article also states the 2011 Lagacy car is AWD also:

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/51980/subaru-liberty-b4-gt300-race-car-heading-to-melbourne