Is my Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer bad?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
What does it mean if u grab a hold of the pulley. One hand on top and one on bottom and there's a little wobble to it... Also the pulley can be turned in either direction 5*... How do u get the bolt to 195 ft lbs? Do u have the special toyota SST? i know super soft nylon rope down the spark plug hole to hold the piston would work but is there any other way? I was gonna have it checked today to see if the eyekey or key was worn or damaged, but they wanted $185 to R&R it... that's too much.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
it means that this probably happened, click pics to enlarge:

key bent over:

inside of dampener FUBAR:

crank FUBAR:

this happens when people don't watch the crank pulley. 195ft lbs for a reason. ;)

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
^True that.

I have a crank pulley related question.

Now say I have a crank pulley that is broken alongside the power steering belt ridge, if I just got that part machined off (not talking about cutting into the dampener, just machining the whole ridge down) and then have the crankshaft balanced with that pulley on it, do you suppose that would work without issues? I'll probably be asking my machinist this in a couple days anyway, but no harm in asking you guys.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
Ok, so i wanna get this fixed all in one day. What should i buy just be 100% we'll get it fixed? I'm gonna get a new "used" pulley and I'm thinking i'll wanna get a new Key... Is there anything else? Or what should i buy?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
More than likely the crank is damaged as well, so it's not gonna be a one day fix. If the crank needs to be repaired/replaced, the motor has to be pulled, and the bottom end disassembled. You need to get the pulley off and check the crank snout. Make sure it doesn't look even remotely like the pics Shaeff posted. The key way should be squared on the sides, and one even width.

Good luck...

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
I'm hoping that it isn't the crank since i just spent ALOT of money on getting the whole engine rebuilt, new crank etc, head etc etc. I'm hoping it's just the key or the pulley being old and worn... that could easily be the problem as well right? Also if it is the crank are they any alternatives to fixing the crank, I've heard of some sort of locktite crank fix...?

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
A new crank pulley from toyota costs 350 bucks.
You put it on a warped crank even once and you pi$$ed it all away.

As for 195lb. an 18 inch breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater bar and one of those huge
prybar type screw drivers. Ya wedge that pup into the teeth of the flywheel and heave till your shoulder goes out, lol. Then when it heals you blow it out once more.

Unless you have air powered tools.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Sorry, if you payed a shop to do it you should take it back.
There's no way a shop worth there salt wouldn't have noticed and not
informed you of a flucked up crank pulley.

That makes me wonder what else could have been over looked and none
of those are good things.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
Ok well here's an update. Ok so the crank bolt was so tight that it broke off. Also as u can see how the crank looks... the pulley is slightly damaged so i got a new one (used) that's in good shape. Tell me what u think and i wanted to know if my crank is repairable since it's not as bad as others i've seen. Also at the top is what's left of the crank key, does anyone have a pic of what it's Supposed to look like?... Here are the pics... :)

p908783_1.jpg

p908783_2.jpg

p908783_3.jpg

p908783_4.jpg

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Sorry, but you're screwed. Pull the crank, replace it. Even if a machinist could get out the remainder of the bolt, and fix the key way(notch in the crank snout), I'll bet the snout is misshapen from the pulley wobbling on it. The price difference between getting it fixed and buying a reman'd. crank will probably be negligible. I'll bet you have some bearing issues on the front main, as well.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Yeah that's pretty bad, and cuel is right, you probably at least messed up the front main bearing.

The key is supposed to look like a half moon.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
yeah well it's gonna cost close to $1,000 to fix... So i'm gonna just sell the car, I'm done screwing with this beautiful car that i'm madly in love with. It makes me sad knowing that i have to get rid of it... Sooo how much do u think i could get for my car as is?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
chris89;920914 said:
yeah well it's gonna cost close to $1,000 to fix... So i'm gonna just sell the car, I'm done screwing with this beautiful car that i'm madly in love with. It makes me sad knowing that i have to get rid of it... Sooo how much do u think i could get for my car as is?

Depends on what kind of shape it's in. I know about the crank but how's the rest of the car?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
122k on body, 10-15k on stage 2 SPEC clutch kit and Brand New Freshly Rebuilt Engine. Headers, Cold Air Intake runs Smooth. Burgandy (Dark Red) interior. Manual Transmission, Cross Drilled And Slotted Front and Rear Rotors, Brand New High Speed High Performance Tires.

n505356732_412576_6336.jpg

n505356732_412574_4731.jpg

n505356732_412575_5607.jpg

n505356732_412515_4154.jpg

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
If you love the car half as much as you say you do, you'd be planning on finding yourself a GTE block of some kind, not planning how much you can rip someone off with it....

I really want to know how the crank bolt snapped....

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Frank Rizzo;921636 said:
If you love the car half as much as you say you do, you'd be planning on finding yourself a GTE block of some kind, not planning how much you can rip someone off with it....

I really want to know how the crank bolt snapped....

Who says he's trying to rip somebody off? He's stated whats wrong with it, stated what the shop says it will cost. I'm willing to bet it's going to cost more than $1K to fix it when they tear it down and find out everything else that will have to be done to rebuild it right though. Like I stated before the mains are scrap, which means he probably has metal running thru the motor, which means to me a complete rebuild not just the crank and bearings. Oil pump, head redone, etc, etc, etc.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Not to give him too much hope but I repaired one of these about 6 years ago. The owner had ignored the knocking for some time and the crank was even a little more chewed up than this. There was normal wear metals in the oil and the engine is still running fine today.