Is my Crank Pulley/Harmonic Balancer bad?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
Hi, a while a go i noticed something that sounded just like a rod knock... so i took it to a shop and it was the bolt that holds the pulley, it was missing... They put a new one on and the engine ran super smooth with no knock... Until my headgasket went bad then after everything was done and tightened the pulley bolt up, now i can see a pretty decent amount of wobble in the pulley... and it sounds like it's a light knock just like before. It's most audible at idle. I found a pulley for less than $100 Brand new, is that a good deal. Also the engine is fully rebuilt less than 10k ago... so it's not bad bearings.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The bolt has either loosened up again or the keyway is FUBAR. You'll have to pull the dampner (pulley) to be sure. $100 for a new dampner is good ;)

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
I was thinking about getting an underdrive crank pulley made by OBX... should i do that or just go with a factory brand new balancer?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
brand new balancer is going to cost you about $400. Probably can find a decent used one that's not chipped, cracked or destroyed where the keyways go.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
OBX one isn't a damper it's just a pully and NOT a good idea for a 7M.

Pity about the distance I have a 4000 Km old one here I swapped out for an ATI when they started making them but postage would kill due to the weight.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
well i wanna get a pulley that increase power and gas milage and make the engine smoother... what underdrive crank pulley would i wanna get? Specific brand, model, Website?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
No such thing for a 7M other than the ATI one, it's about half the weight of stock but doesn't underdrive anything (not the best idea anyway as the waterpump can barely keep up at idle/low rpm now)

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
ok well that clears it up. I'll just get a brand new factory crank pulley. I've heard lots of bad things about underdrive crank pulley's as they don't have a damper so it'll vibrate more? and cause engine problems? So why do ppl say they gain power and gas milage and the engine is alot smoother? that's exactly what i want... What about an unorthodox underdrive crank pulley? Does anyone have one and have anything to say about it?

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
IJ.;880406 said:
UO same same just a pully
wasn't there a whole thread about this awhile ago that gave some in depth diagrams that I believe Jdub posted?? oh and Ian, as I was looking for that thread I noitced that you were the last post on almost all the threads that were refering to a "light weight underdrive pully" ....i guess people just dont get it lol

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
ok well i found out that the pulley i thought was brand new had less than 40k on it for $80... Should i risk it? or just get a brand spankin new one from the dealer or something? I think they are about $320!!!

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Around 40k miles is okay. Mine have over 200k, and its still intact. What does the crank look like? The key way worn, or the key damaged?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
I'll take some pics after i pull the pulley off to pull the new one on... What would it mean if the key way was worn? and if the key was damaged?

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
If the key way in the crank is worn(key fits loosely, or the notch is damaged), you'l need to have it repaired, or get a new crank. If the key is broken, or the edges are badly rounded, you need to get a new key. Either way, if you just slap a new pulley on, and the crank or key is messed up, it won't be long and you'll have the same problems.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
When we were putting it in time, the crank had 5* of play in it before the cam gears would start turning... what's that all about?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
turning it counter clockwise it would have 5 degrees of play but clockwise there was no play. Before there was no play in either direction...

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Timing belt adjustment, or maybe a loose tensioner. The belt is rubber, and will eventually stretch. CW is the correct way to turn the motor. CCW is backwards.