Importing from Japan.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If you want decent mileage and ability to drift, start thinking LIGHT. The lighter the better, the lighter you go, the less power you'll need to get sideways. However... lighter generally means shorter wheel base, and shorter wheel base cars will DEMAND more driving skill to keep you from turning "sideways" into "backwards". I'd suggest a Miata, they're a good all-around car once you get past the looks. Easy to live with, easy to learn on, however they're kinda hard to KEEP sideways due to a bit of a lack of power, although Flyin Miata fixes that easily.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I agree the Miata is a good start also. It is small, light, and you rarely ever see them on the track drifting. Plus you can slap an LS1 in there and oh dear god....... I hope you have lots of cash for tires....lmao

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
damicorb;1763850 said:
Everyone loves LS1s.......... But me. I feel swapping a heavy motor in a small car ruins the way it would feel.

I dont know the weight of the stock motor in the Miata, but chances are the LS1 is near or even lighter than that motor.

All aluminum. Just sayin

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
damicorb;1764195 said:
If you love LS1s, put one in your car. I'm not the LS1 guy.

Might want to pull your head in there sparky....:nono:
(I have 2x LS's)

You don't actually have a clue what you want and don't have the $ to fund it so it was just a suggestion from someone that has "been there done that"..

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
Ok man. I know I don't know EXACTLY what I want. I'm not finished looking. And sorry if my last comment was interpreted as angry grr comment. I have some cash saved up, its not huge but its some, so let's not get into arguments based on assumptions. And as always, I always appreciate some input from all directions. So thanks for your input.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Just throwing it out there, but you might want to do a little digging on that LS1/Miata thing:

http://flyinmiata.com/V8/

From their sight: "Does it handle? Well, the first time we took one autocrossing, we set FTD with it - by a margin of nearly 4 seconds. We've destroyed our own lap records around our local track, outrunning purpose-built race Miatas with a street-oriented V8 Miata. Yeah, it handles."

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hah, good luck killing a Miata... short of doing it on purpose, they're tough engines. Keep your fluids in check (extra quart of oil doesn't hurt for abusing an engine on track, unless they're an engine of the "do not overfill" variety), and you'll have a car you can beat the piss out of all day long.

However, I did accidentally kill a transmission in my 2000 somehow. Even the guys at FM had no idea how exactly I had done it, as it wasn't even close to the only common failure they had seen on those transmissions.