Importing from Japan.

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
hvyman;1762752 said:
You can get a n/a mk4 for like 6-10k. Why not just do that stick a turbo on it and go racing. Much easier. You can find them all day long.

The least expensive MK4 I've found is $12000 and its a NA automatic. Both are negative things for me.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
You can beat around the bush all day, but it sounds like you are more interested in having the RHD prospect. There is zero difference..... I promise, I have owned one and prefer LHD any day of the week. It was cool until the novelty of it wore off. Then it was just a pain in the ass to go from a LHD ( wifes car which was more a DD for me ) back to my RHD Supra. Just get a MK4 or an RX7 here in the US and save the flight and customs problem. If you really have that much cash to blow on a car, please give me some so I can pay some bills....lol. If you are trying to make a track monster, there are other cars out there that cost less, maint is less, and are alot cheaper to upgrade then a Supra. While it would be cool to laugh at all the other drivers and say I smoked your ass with a 6 cylinder, it is going to cost a fortune to do what it sounds like you want to do.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
bio they may be Canada legal but not US legal. People have tried that before, which is part of the reason why so many beautiful R34s are being crushed on the West Coast. Look.....OP take this to heart or let it run through with out learning. Don't try and import one unless you are planning on spending a ton of cash. Plain and simple. There are no legal ways around it. If it is not 25 years old, at least $35,000 is probably going to be needed on top of the cost of the car. At least that is what they told me for my RHD MK3 when I was planning on bringing it back. And before anyone gets the bright idea...."Why not find a military person to bring one back" I was US Army when I was planning on bringing it home. It still falls under the same scrutiny as a normal person trying it. Buy one here and spend the extra cash you would have on the flight and importation bullshit on a nicer one here. I'm sure you will win regardless of whether or not you are sitting on the right or left side of the car.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
$35000 buys one hell of a Supra that's already here... or even a legalized Skyline if you happen to find one that someone is willing to part with. I know of at least two absolutely awesome Mk3's on here for sale, both with 20k pricetags... just saying. ;)

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
91Supra313;1762935 said:
bio they may be Canada legal but not US legal. People have tried that before, which is part of the reason why so many beautiful R34s are being crushed on the West Coast. Look.....OP take this to heart or let it run through with out learning. Don't try and import one unless you are planning on spending a ton of cash. Plain and simple. There are no legal ways around it. If it is not 25 years old, at least $35,000 is probably going to be needed on top of the cost of the car. At least that is what they told me for my RHD MK3 when I was planning on bringing it back. And before anyone gets the bright idea...."Why not find a military person to bring one back" I was US Army when I was planning on bringing it home. It still falls under the same scrutiny as a normal person trying it. Buy one here and spend the extra cash you would have on the flight and importation bullshit on a nicer one here. I'm sure you will win regardless of whether or not you are sitting on the right or left side of the car.

only has to be 15 years old for canada, even r34's are still illeagle here in canada. though i would have thought that importing a car from canada to the us would be less hassle but guess not.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
te72;1763023 said:
$35000 buys one hell of a Supra that's already here... or even a legalized Skyline if you happen to find one that someone is willing to part with. I know of at least two absolutely awesome Mk3's on here for sale, both with 20k pricetags... just saying. ;)

That it does good sir. I have been wanting to post mine for sale for $10 but just haven't gotten around to it. With all the mods I have on there and the condition of it I should get what I'm asking....if not then oh well I don't sell it.

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
Hmmm. I'll see if Mk4s are dor decent prices in a year or so. I have to wait to get anything started, but wanted to get facts straight first. Maybe a Trueno.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Or Corolla as their sold here. I've seen a few AE86s for low cost. I can't sink big money for a year or two.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
te72;1763023 said:

If he's interested and has his heart set of a Mk4 why would he look at a Mk3 no matter how good or what the deal is....

If it's going to be a Track Car only general and mechanical condition mean little as it's going to get knocked around and enigines don't last forever so chance are he'll be on the upgradeGoround in no time.

Why pay much more for a TT car when most of it will be swapped out in short time.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
IJ.;1763126 said:
If he's interested and has his heart set of a Mk4 why would he look at a Mk3 no matter how good or what the deal is....

If it's going to be a Track Car only general and mechanical condition mean little as it's going to get knocked around and enigines don't last forever so chance are he'll be on the upgradeGoround in no time.

Why pay much more for a TT car when most of it will be swapped out in short time.

That's just the thing, it doesn't sound like he knows what he wants or needs. It started with an MK4 then a Skyline..... If you have your heart set on one type of car, stick to it, save up, and get what you want. BUT as stated above, if you are wanting a track car...... it won't last long and you will be swapping motors, and all sorts of other stuff. Plus with having to put a full race spec roll cage in there, you will be gutting the interior. So why waste the cash on importing something?

Carollas are great drift cars. Not really road coarse worthy though since they usually hold a good amount of power and are light as shit.

IMO find the platform you want to destroy and then rebuild on a regular basis. Because one slip near the wall....... and your done for a good amount of time unless you have a ton of stuff on hand.

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
I mainly want a low cost drifter for now. So S13, MK3, or Corolla is what I'm looking at. THEN I want to get me hands on something like a Skyline, Supra, or RX-7. The problem with Skyline is lack of parts in America, problem with RX-7 is rarity of FDS and learning an almost alien-like motor, and a Supra MK4 lacks those problems in my opinion. I'm still batting those three around, but Supra MK4 is the most ideal route. I just don't want to find myself fucked up with a 10k in a car wondering where to go from there. I know I'm jumping from car to car in a few comments, but I'm still trying to figure a route out.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
If you want a nice cheap car to learn to drift in and parts are as rare as pennies ( meaning not rare at all ) then grab a mustang gt and have some fun. those are cheap cars, cheap to maintain and if you bump it.....who cares. I saw a few S13,14s drifting at IA here in Nashville and they had 2J swaps with no BOVs, and they were laying it down hard! Not a single one out there if I remember right was a RHD either.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If you're wanting a cheap drift car, might I suggest a 4th gen Camaro/Firebird v8/6speed? Trust me, those things are WAY easy to get sideways and keep it that way. Even a relative newb like myself did just fine in my 01 SS. There's a reason that people put LS1's in everything these days. ;)

Plus, the things should be about dirt cheap (I GAVE mine to a friend for some body/paint work) by now, parts are easy and cheap, and the cars are plentiful. If you bang it up, no worries, there are probably another dozen in the parking lot anyway. :p

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Well then you also have yet another decision to make here. Are you wanting a track only car or a car that you can drift and also use as a DD? Because those two things don't really mix that well. Specially if you are wanting to make it a money making thing. It really is impossible to make a race ( drift ) car, and expect to get even some sort of decent fuel mileage out of it. So make a choice with this and stick to it....

Race / Drift car = Shitty gas mileage
Daily driver = Good gas mileage

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
Beginning drift car, I'd like above 20-30, don't want to break the bank screwing around. Real drift car, once I establish to myself I can does, don't care about gas mileage.

Last edited:

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
If you want something to just go up there once in awhile and screw around in and practice basically, grab yourself and old AE86 Carolla and tear it up. They are small and light and RWD. Plus you can get the back end out reallllllll easy.