Importing from Japan.

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
SO, I'm wondering has anyone had success importing from Japan. I'd be willing to fly over, at a cost 0f 700 round trip, to buy an MKIV. I've seen ads claiming they only cost about 5k for one in decent condition. I know it'd cost to get it shipped, but I think being that they were sold here too, it would pass emissions and crash test. But I want to hear a success story.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've seen ads claiming that there are pills that will give me a horse-sized penis, but you can't believe everything you read online. Try contacting RHDjapan.com, they sell/export cars last I checked. They weren't what I would call overpriced, but they weren't anywhere near that cheap either. ;)

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
I have bought several supras in japan. Had them stripped and shipped over all the parts. I would never try to import a JDM car and try to get it legalized for the road. It would cost an insane amount of money compared to the value of the car. If you wanted it for track only then it would be fine, but then you got to get it past customs. It used to be lucrative to do when the exchange rate was 120-150 yen to the dollar but now that it is more like 80 yen to the dollar it is getting past the point where it is worthwhile. If you want a JDM car then go live in japan for awhile but then again it costs an arm and a leg just to own a car there.

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
te72;1762396 said:
I've seen ads claiming that there are pills that will give me a horse-sized penis, but you can't believe everything you read online. Try contacting RHDjapan.com, they sell/export cars last I checked. They weren't what I would call overpriced, but they weren't anywhere near that cheap either. ;)

True that.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

MightyAl;1762410 said:
I have bought several supras in japan. Had them stripped and shipped over all the parts. I would never try to import a JDM car and try to get it legalized for the road. It would cost an insane amount of money compared to the value of the car. If you wanted it for track only then it would be fine, but then you got to get it past customs. It used to be lucrative to do when the exchange rate was 120-150 yen to the dollar but now that it is more like 80 yen to the dollar it is getting past the point where it is worthwhile. If you want a JDM car then go live in japan for awhile but then again it costs an arm and a leg just to own a car there.
I was just thinking track use.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I have a posting on the main page that has been stickied. Not sure exactly where it is but I explain in detail what can and cannot be brought over here. Don't by any means think that you can just buy one there and bring it over. Don't get me wrong you can, but it WILL NOT make it through customs once they check that vin. I will try and find the thread about it and link it on an edit in here.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

I don't know if this link will show up or not since I found it under my log in, but if it doesn't work then do a search for Importing Supra from Japan. It was started back in January 2010. I have been through it all and trust what I say because I have talked to dozens of Customs Agents, and they all say the same thing. WON'T HAPPEN.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?115461-Importing-a-Supra&highlight=importing+japan

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
You can import one for track only use. BUT....and that is one HUGE but......you have to be able to prove to customs that it is a race only car. Customs will know if it is or not. I had one of my soldiers in Germany try and get his 97 TT through customs as a show car.... It worked all the way until it hit US Customs. Then they decided that it was not worthy of being a show car. Customs agents do things their own way and there is nothing we can do to persuade them otherwise.

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
"Nonresidents may import an automobile or motorcycle and its usual equipment free of duty for a temporary stay to take part in races or other specific purposes. However, prior written approval from the EPA is required and such approval is granted only to those racing vehicles that EPA deems not capable of safe or practical use on streets and highways. If the contests are for other than money purposes, the vehicle may be admitted for 90 days without formal entry or bond if the Customs officer is satisfied as to the importer’s identify and good faith. The vehicle becomes subject to forfeiture if it is not exported or if a bond is not given within 90 days of its importation. Prior written approval must be obtained from DOT. A vehicle may be temporarily imported for testing, demonstration, or racing purposes. A vehicle may be permanently imported for show or display. Written approval from DOT is required and should be obtained before the vehicle is exported from the foreign country to the U.S. Information on how to import a vehicle under show or display is available at DOT’s NHTSA Vehicle Importation Regulations website. ( Vehicle Importation Regulations ) A vehicle permanently imported for show and display must comply with all U.S. emission requirements as well, and in general must be imported through an EPA-authorized ICI for modification and testing. EPA will not allow the vehicle to be released to its owner until ICI work is complete."

Does not mean a U.S citizen can't has?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Would not pass emissions since jdm cars don't have egr. Also won't have big brakes and have leas hp.

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
hvyman;1762544 said:
Would not pass emissions since jdm cars don't have egr. Also won't have big brakes and have leas hp.
This is not of my concern. Like they don't sell Skylines in the U.S, but they do in Japan. SO, my only way to get a track only Skyline would be from Japan. Or a Mk4 Supra due to rarity.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
There is only one version of the later model Skylines that are legal in the US. That is the R33. The R32 and R34 are not authorized for importation to the US. I had soldiers that had to sell their Skylines while we were in Germany due to the fact that they could not bring them back. Everyone seems to be under the misconception that because the US sold a similar version of the car ( the Supra ) that they can just bring one in. The R33 Skyline is legal to bring into the US but it will cost a small fortune.

Just wait another year or two and bring an early model MK3 Supra over here. If it is at least 25 years old then you will have no problem with US Customs. If you want to bring a Supra over here, like a MK4, then you are looking to spend close to 40-50k on top of everything else.

Flight over there - you said 700
cost of car - you said 5k
cost of shipping - about 3k ( for a container and 2 week shipping )
customs paperwork - 3-500
cost of R.I. to deal with importation and legalization modifications - 30-50k ( depending on what needs to be done )

People seem to think that all that needs to be done is bumper mods and maybe glass......partially correct. From what I can remember US Customs told me here is a brief list of what needs to be modified on an MK3. Probably more on a newer one.

Front bumper supports
Headlights ( the ones from Japan are actual glass and not safety shit like we have )
Door crash supports
Rear bumper supports
ALL glass on the car
Emissions control system
Any after market modifications installed before shipping would have to be removed and could be placed in a box in the trunk or shipped separate.

The bad thing is, us as owners could not do any of these changes on our own. You would have to physically hire a Registered Importer ( RI ) and only ones that US Customs authorizes can make said changes.

You can import the car on your own and Customs will give you 180 days to make the above listed ( and then some ) changes to make the car US legal. If you cannot prove to Customs that the changes have been corrected then they will confiscate your prized car and you will be able to watch it be crushed like the other R32 and 34 Skylines that have not been Grandfathered in by the Motorex screwup.

Take this advice to heart since I have owned a RHD car...... IT IS THE SAME DAMN THING AS A LHD MODEL. Your just on the other side of the car. And yes, it does get some looks of the people around you......but after they see it once, they could care less. RHD cars are so common now that noone really cares about them anymore. Don't waste your money on trying to import one and spend the extra cash you would have spent on this on a decent one here. You will find it worth your money.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

damicorb;1762529 said:
"Nonresidents may import an automobile or motorcycle and its usual equipment free of duty for a temporary stay to take part in races or other specific purposes. However, prior written approval from the EPA is required and such approval is granted only to those racing vehicles that EPA deems not capable of safe or practical use on streets and highways. If the contests are for other than money purposes, the vehicle may be admitted for 90 days without formal entry or bond if the Customs officer is satisfied as to the importer’s identify and good faith. The vehicle becomes subject to forfeiture if it is not exported or if a bond is not given within 90 days of its importation. Prior written approval must be obtained from DOT. A vehicle may be temporarily imported for testing, demonstration, or racing purposes. A vehicle may be permanently imported for show or display. Written approval from DOT is required and should be obtained before the vehicle is exported from the foreign country to the U.S. Information on how to import a vehicle under show or display is available at DOT’s NHTSA Vehicle Importation Regulations website. ( Vehicle Importation Regulations ) A vehicle permanently imported for show and display must comply with all U.S. emission requirements as well, and in general must be imported through an EPA-authorized ICI for modification and testing. EPA will not allow the vehicle to be released to its owner until ICI work is complete."

Does not mean a U.S citizen can't has?

Sorry I did not see this post on here. That was mainly for people that come over for a short time for work purposes and need their vehicles to support them ( work trucks and things like that ).

Again, it can be imported for show or race purposes. HOWEVER, does anyone on here really think that US Customs will believe that Joe Shmoe from 1988 Mycargotimpounded St is capable of bringing this car to show or race specs within 180 days? This means that the car can NEVER be driven on US soil except to and from the trailer and the show or track gates. I don't mean to piss in your coffee cup but you will spend more to have a cool RHD car that will perform the same as someone else's LHD car. There are a few way around legalities..... but those will be kept quiet. Because if something like an accident happens, once they find that the VIN is not a US vin and no alternate VINs for that car.....sure it will be towed from the scene, but it will be taken straight to the crusher.

To put it simply again, if you try and import it, probably won't work, but if a pro shop like Driftmotion or Titan tried it......it would work. (HINT).......lmao but count on them way overcharging for this car.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
91Supra313;1762673 said:
There are a few way around legalities..... but those will be kept quiet. Because if something like an accident happens, once they find that the VIN is not a US vin and no alternate VINs for that car.....sure it will be towed from the scene, but it will be taken straight to the crusher.

There is more then one way to skin a cat but the juice is definitely not worth the squeeze and most certainly not for a car that is sold domestically. If you are determined then go beat the bushes and there will be people that are more then happy to take your money. In the end though the crusher usually wins.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'm confused as to the intent here myself. I can understand wanting to import a car that we never got here in the US (Lotus Carlton comes to mind), but for something that can be had with as little headache as buying a used model and paying the price to register a legal US car... I just don't see the point?

I mean, I can see the appeal of a cheap (5k as you mentioned) Mk4, but I can also see the appeal of a lot of lies I read on the internet ads. ;)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You can get a n/a mk4 for like 6-10k. Why not just do that stick a turbo on it and go racing. Much easier. You can find them all day long.

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
I'm mainly interested in Skylines for importation if a Supra became difficult. Like what mods must be made to make it race specs? Because that standard is debatable. If its just performance mods and gutting it, I can do that in 180 days easy. (by gutting I mean removing extra seats/carpet. possibly door panels and extra shit)

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

And R33s aren't legal without, new bumpers, glass, all lights, a anti spill gas setup, padding in the dash, new seats, and a new gauge cluster.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

THEN emissions.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
When I say it is legal to bring in, I meant it is possible. The other 2 models can not legally be imported as a street drivable car. Do what you feel your pocket can handle. I just hate to see someone waste all that cash just to not have a car in the end. If you are still confused about it, contact the source of all of this.....US Customs in either Port of LA, or Port of Miami. I did for my questions 2 years ago about importing.

damicorb

Sep 19, 2011
Columbus
Yeah. I'm only concerned for track. A daily driver Skyline/Supra/RX-7 is a bad idea. Too much chance for one of the few in America to be destroyed by even another motorists incompetence, let alone my own. (I mean FD and MK4s, their too rare for my taste in dds)